Author Topic: BSSO plus raise mandible by 1mm? Unheard of?  (Read 741 times)

introsuit

BSSO plus raise mandible by 1mm? Unheard of?
« on: September 04, 2020, 12:01:06 PM »
My case: I am suffering from a recessed lower jaw and chin, had braces for 4 years and had 2 lower pre-molars extracted to make the jaw advancement possible.

I am due to having BSSO (lower jaw advancement surgery, correct me if I'm wrong with terms) on Monday.

I just had a pre-op meeting today where I was told the surgery would make a cut in mandible and advance it forward by ~7mm AND lift it ~1mm up. Which is the last part about moving it up is what surprised me and gives me concern. My face is already kind of short and moving the lower jaw up could make it even shorter? The explanation was that it is needed to get the bite right, which may be true, but that still concerns me regarding aesthetics. And yes, it is only 1mm so perhaps not a big deal, but nevertheless it does not sit well with me.

Has anyone heard of this practice before to extend the lower jaw AND move it slightly up, is it a common practice in this type of surgery?

Sergio-OMS

• Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon
  • I am just trying to help
    • Clinica Gonzalez y Campos
Re: BSSO plus raise mandible by 1mm? Unheard of?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2020, 12:56:20 PM »
Has anyone heard of this practice before to extend the lower jaw AND move it slightly up, is it a common practice in this type of surgery?

Yes.

Relax. It’s normal to have doubts.It’s a big decision, but I am confident you have discussed everything before. Last minute mistrust isn’t good for you.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2020, 01:57:59 PM »

We'd have to see how much tooth show you have now. If not a lot, then yes it's a concern.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2020, 02:54:08 PM »
Elementary.'Forward' Displacement over a DIAGONAL has 2 components; a horizontal one and a vertical one. So, unless your mandible is parallel to the floor, moving it forward will have both a horizontal and vertical displacement component.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.