Author Topic: Mr Paul Johnson (UK!)  (Read 11715 times)

Tiny

• Private
Mr Paul Johnson (UK!)
« on: August 03, 2013, 04:57:37 AM »
Hi peoples,

So, I had my first surgical consult yesterday with Paul Johnson in the UK (Guildford, Surrey)

Pretty much only have good things to say about this guy.  He is quite mild mannered and totally not one of those arrogant type of surgeons with a god complex.  He answered all my many many questions, reclarified anything I didn't understand and is clearly very experience with this type of surgery.   He was also totally impartial, and non judgemental, which to me is quite important.

One of the interesting things that came up was that he said that a lot of the online videos of jaw surgery use quite outdated techniques. He does his BSSOs in 45-60 mins and advised a 3 week recovery.

I also met his orthodontist who saw me unscheduled at 6pm on a Friday afternoon - also a really nice guy.

Any questions PM me
- celtic

sara1980

Re: Mr Paul Johnson (UK!)
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 02:54:15 PM »
hi  can you please give us update?

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 09:48:52 AM »
Not much to report - I live out in the Middle East and my as such, my choice of surgeon is limited.  I've consulted with MM (who travels here) but I'm not 100% happy with the surgical plan or the fact that the ortho he uses wants to charge 100% of the fees up front (all the others I've spoke to it's 50-70% and then instalments)

I really want to do a virtual consult with someone really good like Schendel but he didn't reply to my email about it.

Think I'm just going to get the braces, get nearly decomped and then get another set of cephs and do some more consults at that stage.  PJ himself said that whether I need BSSO only vs bimax depended on how much decomp they could do and at this stage, he couldn't really say with certainty.  MM seems to be doing/recommending quite a few BSSOs recently with what seem like rather small movements (4-7mm) and I am not really keen on that at all.

Personally I'm looking forward to seeing the ortho as I'm a bit curious about how they're going to move my lower teeth backwards when there is absolutely no space at the back of my mouth (as my jaw is so small).  I have found a different ortho to MMs guy in Dubai who seems quite good and am currently waiting on his email reply to my cephs and to schedule a consult
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 05:02:48 PM by Tiny »

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 05:17:04 AM »
How much does surgery with him cost?

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 10:55:20 AM »
I was quoted 8k GBP for bimax and 5k for braces.  Seems extremely reasonable

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 11:51:18 AM »
That's much lower than I would've figured. Is this the standard price range for the UK? If so then I don't understand why so many from the UK are looking for surgeons abroad.

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 12:43:48 AM »
I think it's reasonably standard as I've seen other surgeons advertise 5k gbp for BSSO.  I think Henri Thuau is dearer

Anyway, it is hard to find surgeons in the UK who
1) Have consistent good reviews (or any reviews)
2) have a decent number of before/after pics (or indeed any)
3) Are good at CW and CCW
4) Have good appreciation of aesthetics

For example, neither Paul Johnson or Henri Thuau have any pictures on their site at all

UK surgeons also have a reputation of being more conservative in terms of rotation and surgical movements

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 04:13:24 AM »
I would agree with the statement that UK surgeons are more conservative in general but what about Paul Johnson? Surely he seems to be a bit more aesthetically oriented since he also has training in plastic surgery and does procedures like rhinoplasty.

overbiter

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 04:45:43 PM »
I would agree with the statement that UK surgeons are more conservative in general but what about Paul Johnson? Surely he seems to be a bit more aesthetically oriented since he also has training in plastic surgery and does procedures like rhinoplasty.

I think it depends a lot on what the reasons for having surgery are. If the operations being done on the NHS, and it's for cosmetics reasons, they stay conservative. You have to remember that most people don't want their faces radically changed. On the other hand, a lot of the patients who go to surgeons like Arnett anf Gunson/Schendel etc do want their faces significantly altered, and are prepared to pay 80K for the privilege.

If someone does need bigger movements for medical reasons I think it is possible to have this done in the UK. This woman had a large advancement for sleep apnoea and overbite, done on the NHS http://www.jawsurgeryblog.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3892

PloskoPlus

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 10:39:52 PM »
I think it's reasonably standard as I've seen other surgeons advertise 5k gbp for BSSO.  I think Henri Thuau is dearer

Anyway, it is hard to find surgeons in the UK who
1) Have consistent good reviews (or any reviews)
2) have a decent number of before/after pics (or indeed any)
3) Are good at CW and CCW
4) Have good appreciation of aesthetics

For example, neither Paul Johnson or Henri Thuau have any pictures on their site at all

UK surgeons also have a reputation of being more conservative in terms of rotation and surgical movements

This NHS result looks pretty good to me.  7 mm impaction of the upper and 10 mm advancement of the lower.

http://www.jawsurgeryblog.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15472