Author Topic: how common is jaw surgery without braces if your bite and occlusion is okay  (Read 1557 times)

lookism

lets say you do jaw surgery for sleep apnea and your occlusion is fine - would you need braces?

kavan

• Global Moderator
For some cases where the occlusion is fine and the person has sleep apnea and if they decide to do linear advancement, (advance both jaws equally) you would not need braces for the long decompensation period before the surgery.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

andyyyy37

I’m getting a maxilla Downgraft in Korea next year and the surgeon said I don’t need braces. I think a lot of Surgeons in Korea do it without braces especially for foreign patients.

Lani

• Private
you could probably get away without braces, but like everything with jaw surgery, it is to what degree of exactness to your goal that you want to get. Like the Poster above said, you could just get staight linear advancement and call it a day.The ultimate way to do it (may not be worth the hassle for you) is to get braces put in (most will need this to move your jaw anyways, esp if there is rotation), and then afterwards they can tweak your bite with the braces that are in place as nobody can predict 100% the mm of movement until after surgery. straight linear advancement may have facial changes, so be aware of that.

Lefortitude

Certain practitioners do it routinely, and others only for emergencies. Depends on the clinician and the case specifics

thedude

I know Kasey Li in Palo Alto does surgeries without braces, as do I believe a lot of surgeons affiliated with the Stanford sleep program.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 04:32:57 PM by dougthedude »

GJ

• Administrator
I've heard Li is a difficult person, temperament wise.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

thedude

I have enjoyed working with him and found him to be friendly, caring and exceedingly professional at all times.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 04:39:36 PM by dougthedude »