Author Topic: How do you decompensate bite when your teeth were already extracted before  (Read 1158 times)

SmallJaw12

I had orthodontic treatment when I was younger where 4 of my teeth were extracted(2 on top, 2 below).
How would decompensation work in such a case? Would they have to extract more teeth? That just sounds like a horrible idea.
Would love the advice of people who've gone through something similar (bad ortho work with extractions which had to be decompensated for)

Lefortitude

Re: How do you decompensate bite when your teeth were already extracted before
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2020, 05:56:13 AM »
Good orthodontists nowadays see copious cases for surgery prep that had previous ortho involving extractions.

If youre looking for an answer on here you wont get a good one.  Each clinician will assess each patient and make very individualized judgements on the case. 

IF you're looking for an orthodontist to prep you for surgery, pick one that ROUTINELY does surgery prep, and has for many years. Book a consultation with them and ask all your questions.

SmallJaw12

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2020, 07:46:32 AM »
It's just that since I've gotten screwed by a 'good' orthodontist, I wanted some idea of what other people who've gone through the same thing had done. Thanks for the advice though!

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2020, 09:08:18 AM »
It depends on your surgical plan. That question is impossible to even guess at without more info.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

Sergio-OMS

• Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon
  • I am just trying to help
    • Clinica Gonzalez y Campos
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2020, 01:54:53 PM »
I had orthodontic treatment when I was younger where 4 of my teeth were extracted(2 on top, 2 below).
How would decompensation work in such a case? Would they have to extract more teeth? That just sounds like a horrible idea.
Would love the advice of people who've gone through something similar (bad ortho work with extractions which had to be decompensated for)

There is not much need for orthodontic preparation, actually.

SmallJaw12

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2020, 04:34:03 PM »
@GJ, I consulted a local Maxfac surgeon who told me that he would do a bsso+genioplasty(x-rays- https://ibb.co/BPFrrCC,
https://ibb.co/Q97CK0n)

And @Sergio-OMFS, what do you mean by that? A surgery first approach?