Author Topic: Not overly satisfied with my genioplasty result - should I get bimax?  (Read 2454 times)

jellyflower

I was scheduled to have a bimax (with CCW rotation) last year but I expressed some concerns to my surgeon (mainly about nose widening) and so ultimately I had a genioplasty instead.

I’m not overly satisfied with the result.

Here’s a video of how I look (and I also included clips of how I used to look):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBsmlhQcRuc&feature=youtu.be

Also for comparison here’s another video showing how I looked pre-genioplasty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAvkQv62T9s&feature=youtu.be

Photos pre- and post-genio:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tgMn0XeASVnvVrSjIb6DxC8adnLGT99m/view?usp=sharing

Both of my jaws are a little recessed, and now my chin is slightly too big for my face.

Also I have been diagnosed with *mild* sleep apnea (AHI = 6.59). I only just got tested. I should have got tested before the genioplasty, but I didn't plan well enough.

I have consulted with several surgeons. Two of them strongly advised against bimax, saying that there is little to be gained and a lot to lose.

I sent Dr Gunson my records and he came up with a plan for bimax (3mm advancement of maxilla and 8mm advancement and mandible), but he did not see me in person (only in photos), so I am not giving much weight to his opinion in my decision process.

My orthodontist thinks I would benefit from bimax, but I saw another orthodontist who thinks my genioplasty looks good and advised against bimax.

I feel it’s a really tricky decision because on the one hand my bite is fine and I look fairly ok but on the other hand my jaws *are* a bit recessed and I do have (albeit mild) sleep apnea and TMJ issues (which is annoying but not the end of the world).

Also I’m 31 and I know the risk of complications is fairly high at my age.

aestheticseeker

Re: Not overly satisfied with my genioplasty result - should I get bimax?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 10:28:07 AM »
If anyone’s into gingers they’ll be into you... do not do any more surgery it’s not the risk just my 2 cents

PloskoPlus

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 01:11:43 PM »
You don't look any better after genioplasty, just different. You are a handsome guy anyway. What you look like from the front is what matters most.

jellyflower

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2020, 03:28:38 PM »
You don't look any better after genioplasty, just different. You are a handsome guy anyway. What you look like from the front is what matters most.

I agree about "not looking better, just different."

Would you advise against bimax then, since it could make me look worse from the front?

InvisalignOnly

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 06:48:17 AM »
For whatever it's worth, I am a straight woman and I think you definitely look better after the genioplasty. It also looks very natural.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 07:24:44 AM »
You look good after.
I'd stick there.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

Rodin

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2020, 08:11:21 PM »
Looks good in afters. How did the notching on the left side of your mandible disappear? Just from the genio?

SMSOMS

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2020, 11:39:40 AM »
Do you have a lateral cephalometric X-ray from your orthodontist to look at tooth angulations and bony chin shape?  Also was that a chin implant or sliding osteotomy genioplasty?

thedude

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2020, 04:03:54 PM »
I mean if you can afford to have Dr. Gunson do it and you are concerned about the sleep apnea I think the risk to benefit ratio is pretty darn good from where I'm standing.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2020, 06:05:48 PM »
The genio has re-uptaken some of the slack under your chin for some subtle improvement. Not being overly satisfied would be more attributable to not getting more correction via the BSSO than to any problems with the genio, which by the way, can't be used to substitute for the BSSO. Your lower lip being behind your upper lip is an aesthetic indicator for a  BSSO which, more often than not, involves bimax surgery.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.