Author Topic: Bimax after camouflage orthodontics for class 2 bite  (Read 1532 times)

Romulus22

Bimax after camouflage orthodontics for class 2 bite
« on: February 17, 2021, 07:34:05 PM »
My mandible is recessed and it seems the ortho decided to use elastics and pull the incisors back to camouflage the bite. This was when I was a teenager so my parents had no knowledge of what possible treatment options existed beyond orthodontics (i.e. surgery).

I believe there are others on this forum who have had the same experience.

But, there is still an overjet and overbite and, as you can imagine, the aesthetics are subpar because I am still recessed. I can't sleep on my back because it's quite uncomfortable breathing as well.

I am interested in going back to an orthodontist and discussing my case for Bimax to finally get the desired look and function.

I am in Ontario, so is this possible for Canadians? Or will I be rejected because of previous orthodontic work?

Do I go to the dentist and ask for an Xray or scan?

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 07:50:21 PM by Romulus22 »

InvisalignOnly

Re: Bimax after camouflage orthodontics for class 2 bite
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 06:09:15 AM »
I am not in Canada so don't know the system there, but I did have camouflage orthodontics for a class 2 bite, and many years later I had braces again to reverse that and got the surgery. In my case they had to remove two lower premolars and close the gaps with braces to create a big enough overjet to perform the surgery.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 11:54:42 AM »
..... I did have camouflage orthodontics for a class 2 bite, and many years later I had braces again to reverse that and got the surgery. .....

That's a good key point to bring up because many 'newbies' to maxfax don't realize that prior ortho to 'get the bite right' often needs to be UNDONE to prepare for surgery.

Quote from: Romulus22
....will I be rejected because of previous orthodontic work?....
As I mentioned above, your prior ortho work would most likely have to be undone to prepare you for what's planned in a surgery. Hence, prior ortho work does not preclude you from being considered for surgery.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

Lefortitude

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2021, 04:45:24 AM »
I am in an identical situation (in ontario too strangely enough).  I am found the best ortho in the country and am working with him to correct the situation. I think eventually it will be with surgery.  Feel free to reach out with any questions.

Romulus22

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2021, 06:15:47 PM »
I am not in Canada so don't know the system there, but I did have camouflage orthodontics for a class 2 bite, and many years later I had braces again to reverse that and got the surgery. In my case they had to remove two lower premolars and close the gaps with braces to create a big enough overjet to perform the surgery.

Thanks for your reply. How many years did you have in braces? Were your incisors retroclined as a part of the treatment? I ask because I have had treatment for 4 years and am very concerned about being rejected because of root damage as a result of years of prior ortho work in my youth.

Romulus22

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2021, 06:19:18 PM »
That's a good key point to bring up because many 'newbies' to maxfax don't realize that prior ortho to 'get the bite right' often needs to be UNDONE to prepare for surgery.
As I mentioned above, your prior ortho work would most likely have to be undone to prepare you for what's planned in a surgery. Hence, prior ortho work does not preclude you from being considered for surgery.

Thanks for your reply.

Indeed, I suspected that the work would have to be redone to create room for surgical advancement. I have a meeting scheduled with an orthodontist where I will bring up this issue and intentions for surgery. I am concerned that 4 years of prior ortho work has potentially damaged my roots which, I believe, they can use as a reason to reject further treatment. I have heard of this happening to others but I am not sure what the likelihood is.

In your view, is this a legitimate concern or an unlikely occurrence?

I will also meet with a surgeon after consulting with an ortho and getting x rays done.

Romulus22

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2021, 06:20:42 PM »
I am in an identical situation (in ontario too strangely enough).  I am found the best ortho in the country and am working with him to correct the situation. I think eventually it will be with surgery.  Feel free to reach out with any questions.

Thanks! I will PM you. Great to see someone in my shoes  who has gone down this route. I hope your treatment is going well.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2021, 06:43:39 PM »
Thanks for your reply.

Indeed, I suspected that the work would have to be redone to create room for surgical advancement. I have a meeting scheduled with an orthodontist where I will bring up this issue and intentions for surgery. I am concerned that 4 years of prior ortho work has potentially damaged my roots which, I believe, they can use as a reason to reject further treatment. I have heard of this happening to others but I am not sure what the likelihood is.

In your view, is this a legitimate concern or an unlikely occurrence?

I will also meet with a surgeon after consulting with an ortho and getting x rays done.

They will tell you if your roots are damaged enough to preclude a surgery.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.