Author Topic: Will my bimax surgery increase my lower third height?  (Read 1041 times)

lilaboy

Will my bimax surgery increase my lower third height?
« on: April 16, 2021, 09:09:34 PM »
Hi, sry for asking a similar question again. My surgery is in 2 weeks and i found something that im not happy with: its my lower third height.

I thought the bimax will increase my lower third height, im even getting a 2mm vertical genio. I overlayed my pre and post surgery pics and the height is almost the same!

What i try to simulate is the effect when im jutting, so when my upper and lower teeth are on top of each other. Which a bimax, my jaws stay at the same height, they dont get moved up or down vertically, right?

Thats my Problem. Will a bsso alone solve my problem? What can i do? Why is my lower jaw moved like this?(see the drawing i made, is this movement normal?) I tried to explain it with many pictures where i added a description on imgur. Hope you guys can help. Thank you!

« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 01:26:15 PM by lilaboy »

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: Will my bimax surgery increase my lower third height?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2021, 05:09:48 PM »
The answer to the question you have in the TITLE of your string is: 'YES' because:

It would be IMPOSSIBLE for a BSSO displacement moving forward along one's own mandibular plane angle (which is going down and out), in addition to a 'down and out genio' NOT to result in an increase in lower facial height. So, your problem resolves to not observing how one would go about observing things correctly and what would be needed to be observed from the surgeon's side by side diagrams.

Here's a side by side view. The fact that the surgeon aligned the side by side view so that the chin was on same line DOESN'T mean your lower facial height WON'T increase. See if by looking at the other lines you can figure out why that is so.

Note: This is NEITHER an 'invitation' to look at what ever you did to confuse yourself NOR one to address any questions requesting me to PREDICT the outcome of your surgery as in stuff like: 'Will the surgery make me look this way or that way?'

Illustration included with this post.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 06:54:59 PM by kavan »
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2021, 08:36:00 AM »
Is your surgery lower only or both jaws? It looks like both jaws are moving in that video you shared.

If it's lower jaw only, Kavan is right that the move will follow the angle of your jaw, which is fairly steep, so it will lengthen and move out.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

lilaboy

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2021, 04:51:08 PM »
Is your surgery lower only or both jaws? It looks like both jaws are moving in that video you shared.

If it's lower jaw only, Kavan is right that the move will follow the angle of your jaw, which is fairly steep, so it will lengthen and move out.

Sadly its both jaws. So for my goal a lower jaw only approach would be better. I see

lilaboy

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2021, 04:57:15 PM »

Thank you, and i hope i dont annoy you.

Whem i aligned and overlapped my before/after scan, my lower third was taller only like 1mm or so.

My question would be if i would get a taller lower third when i get a bsso only instead a bimax.

Or should i just get the surgery, stop overthinking and get a sidewing after?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 05:08:54 PM by lilaboy »

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2021, 07:30:41 PM »

It's not a matter of 'IF' he's getting only lower jaw 'THEN' Kavan is right.

You must have looked at his video INSTEAD of my astute side by side analytical comparison to say that.

My side by side comparison shows the SAME before and after the doctor gave him which INCLUDES surgery to the upper jaw. It's the same document the doctor gave him that he elected to make some video out of instead of trying to figure out why the chins were on the same level. I also included reference lines that gave the CLUE as to how he confused himself.

Personally, when I see a person does stuff to confuse themselves and then wants their analysis or presentation, thought process -what ever- looked at, I don't bother because it can end up sucking me into their confusion or they just use anything you say as an opportunity to confuse themselves more and then come up with more questions.

So, here, you looked at his video (and not my presentation), it fed into his confusion, he refers back to the video he made where he confused himself and your response to him elicits more questions.

To the OP, lila boy, from my perspective you have ELECTED to CONFUSE yourself and DISREGARDED my presentation aimed at un-confusing you in the process. So, that gives me the signal NOT to address any more of your posts and just leave you to what ever thinking process you want to use to confuse yourself, become more uncertain and/or make your decision.

However, I'll keep my illustration up there in the event someone else wants to spell it out and break down the clue for you.

Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.