Author Topic: Peek Implants for antegonial notch  (Read 1142 times)

Dopesaint

Peek Implants for antegonial notch
« on: May 24, 2021, 12:32:11 PM »
Currently, I am 6 months post-op for DJS and everything is great, however, I do have a much more pronounced antegonial notch.

Does anyone have any experience with camouflaging their antegonial notch? I am looking into peek implants and I saw a great result here in Case 3:

https://jkamprs.springeropen.com/articles/10.1186/s40902-020-00262-7

GJ

• Administrator
Re: Peek Implants for antegonial notch
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2021, 12:45:48 PM »
Did you have an AG notch pre-surgery?

Were you moved clockwise?
Millimeters are miles on the face.

Dopesaint

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2021, 01:05:15 PM »
Did you have an AG notch pre-surgery?

Were you moved clockwise?

Yes, I had a notch pre-surgery as well, my POG was advanced 25mm and it was counterclockwise double jaw surgery with genioplasty.

I can PM you my surgical plan cephalometric analyses where you can see how my antegonial notch appears.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2021, 01:45:50 PM »
Yes, I had a notch pre-surgery as well, my POG was advanced 25mm and it was counterclockwise double jaw surgery with genioplasty.

I can PM you my surgical plan cephalometric analyses where you can see how my antegonial notch appears.

Yeah email it. I'd expect the notch to get worse if you're class 2 and move the jaws clockwise. But not CCW.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2021, 10:06:13 AM »
a jsf bone sticking out

Enclosed is a diagram that should help you visualize why there would be an increased ' antegonial notch' after (hefty) CCW rotation along with (a hefty) BSSO advancment. Technically speaking, the true gonial notch does not change as can be observed in the YELLOW part of the lower jaw. Hence, my term for what usually happens and what you are probably observing is: 'BONE STICKING OUT'. If a better technical term is needed, we could describe it as; 'step off anterior to antegonial notch' or 'pseudo antegonial notch'.

It is a direct function of the extent of the posterior CCW-r at the maxilla which is what allows the lower jaw to be advanced over a DECREASED angle of inclination. So, with the BSSO cut, advancement of the lower jaw ALSO comes with a rotation along the bsso CUT which is why you see part of the lower jaw bone sticking out BELOW the native antegonial notch.

Since it would be the space in white bordered by red in the diagram that is 'empty', the most straight forward solution to 'filling' that space would be with FILLER as to stream line the type of disconnect along the lower border of mandible. Custom implant (doesn't matter what material it is) would be over-kill for that sort of thing.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 01:08:01 PM by kavan »
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

Dopesaint

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2021, 06:53:37 PM »
a jsf bone sticking out

Enclosed is a diagram that should help you visualize why there would be an increased ' antegonial notch' after (hefty) CCW rotation along with (a hefty) BSSO advancment. Technically speaking, the true gonial notch does not change as can be observed in the YELLOW part of the lower jaw. Hence, my term for what usually happens and what you are probably observing is: 'BONE STICKING OUT'. If a better technical term is needed, we could describe it as; 'step off anterior to antegonial notch' or 'pseudo antegonial notch'.

It is a direct function of the extent of the posterior CCW-r at the maxilla which is what allows the lower jaw to be advanced over a DECREASED angle of inclination. So, with the BSSO cut, advancement of the lower jaw ALSO comes with a rotation along the bsso CUT which is why you see part of the lower jaw bone sticking out BELOW the native antegonial notch.

Since it would be the space in white bordered by red in the diagram that is 'empty', the most straight forward solution to 'filling' that space would be with FILLER as to stream line the type of disconnect along the lower border of mandible. Custom implant (doesn't matter what material it is) would be over-kill for that sort of thing.

Thank you for your reply, my surgeon said he can cover the notch with titanium (not exactly sure how will email him later to elaborate) and what kind of filler would you recommend?

Also, my notch is very different from the diagram but I do see what you are referring to. If you have the time can I PM you what my notch looks like and if filler is still the best option?

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2021, 09:20:06 PM »
Thank you for your reply, my surgeon said he can cover the notch with titanium (not exactly sure how will email him later to elaborate) and what kind of filler would you recommend?

Also, my notch is very different from the diagram but I do see what you are referring to. If you have the time can I PM you what my notch looks like and if filler is still the best option?

Hyaluronic acid filler (Restylane). It can be dissolved if you don't like it. No PMs though.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 07:30:07 AM by kavan »
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.