Author Topic: Cheek concavity  (Read 40483 times)

x

• Private
Cheek concavity
« on: August 11, 2013, 02:31:53 AM »
How does one avoid losing this with maxillary advancement? I guess this is what people referred to with the midface falling behind

Notice how this guy's under cheek area becomes less concave after his upper jaw is brought forward, so he loses all the definition in 3/4ths view? It seems like you'd have to move the entire zygomatic bone forward in conjunction with the upper jaw to offset the advancement, and then get a genioplasty to account for the loss in chin projection relative to the face. either that or tip the inferior part of the maxilla forward and leave the superior part in place or let it fall back a little (guess this would happen a bit with CCW as long as maxillary advancement doesn't offset it)

« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 03:15:39 AM by Euphoria »

x

• Private
Re: Cheek concavity
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 03:42:03 AM »
Happens here too. Wow, blows.

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 04:37:14 AM »
What do you mean exactly? Can you circle it? haha
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

x

• Private
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 09:23:29 AM »
What do you mean exactly? Can you circle it? haha
look at the outline of his face from 3/4ths:

Notice how before his cheekbone and chin projected furthest from his face, and then there was a concavity between the two? And after that definition was washed out and a convex bulge was created in the lower cheek area?

The concave look is much more attractive imo:
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 11:10:41 AM by Euphoria »

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 12:06:42 PM »
I see now.

I'm unaware of if one look or the other is objectively more favourable, but maybe I'm wrong? the first guy you posted appears to have exceptionally weak malars, perhaps even recessed. It's no wonder he doesn't have that "concave look" - which was really flat - that he had before. Also the photo of the model you posted is at a slightly different angle with his head tilted downwards, thus bringing the chin further back.

The second photo you posted never had that look to begin with, and has a chubby face. The third has two different angles creating that look. She's far more side on in the before.

Obviously there is an aesthetically positive relationship between strong cheekbones and jawline, but I don't think this is much to worry about.

Edit: Ok I see a bit more what you mean about with actual maxillary advancement affecting this. I'm guessing malar augmentation wouldn't alter this at all then, huh? Still I'm unsure about whether one look is objectively better than the other. Where did you read about this?
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 12:12:21 PM »
No you're absolutely right Euphoria. This is a huge problem of most leforts and we've discussed it under different guises before on many threads. A/G deal with it by HA grafting the malar/cheekbone area. People with strong cheekbones don't have this problem. It's often referred to as the S curve from a 3/4 view. well an S in reverse so the cheekbone swoops out, we move in at the cheeks and another swoop out for a strong chin. It's a strong mark of an attractive face --all models have it as do most attractive people. Jaw Surgery, esp. a more linear advancement will f**k THIS UP.  You'll be chipmunk cheek/monkey mouth man.

So, the only option is to either get implants, HA grafting (which is pretty ineffectual and doesn't work really as we've seen) OR have a HIGH lefort which brings the face out higher up plus a ton of grafting done to the cheekbone area. It's a huge problem the perfect solution is of course the quadrangular lefort 2 with bone grafting --but it's more invasive, more risks.

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 12:29:54 PM »
No you're absolutely right Euphoria. This is a huge problem of most leforts and we've discussed it under different guises before on many threads. A/G deal with it by HA grafting the malar/cheekbone area. People with strong cheekbones don't have this problem. It's often referred to as the S curve from a 3/4 view. well an S in reverse so the cheekbone swoops out, we move in at the cheeks and another swoop out for a strong chin. It's a strong mark of an attractive face --all models have it as do most attractive people. Jaw Surgery, esp. a more linear advancement will f**k THIS UP.  You'll be chipmunk cheek/monkey mouth man.

So, the only option is to either get implants, HA grafting (which is pretty ineffectual and doesn't work really as we've seen) OR have a HIGH lefort which brings the face out higher up plus a ton of grafting done to the cheekbone area. It's a huge problem the perfect solution is of course the quadrangular lefort 2 with bone grafting --but it's more invasive, more risks.

Why do you think HA grafting is ineffectual?

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 12:31:18 PM »
Why do you think HA grafting is ineffectual?

i think it can be used to balance out a bit, but I've personally never seen it produce an impressive fill or augmentation to the malar region or the lower orbital rim in a way that really affects the soft tissue.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 12:34:40 PM »
Very meh alternatives. The Quad Leforts have potential, but where the hell are the befores/afters??
It's a sign of good bone structure when the ogee curve exists. Losing it just makes his face look fatty and lacking in definition

Eupho is on the money!

pekay

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 12:58:05 PM »
Guy #1's upper jaw was clearly over-advanced

The other 2 results are well done, that girl ended up with an amazing profile
Chopsticks > Spoons

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 12:58:57 PM »

the girl's aight

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2013, 01:05:34 PM »
You brah's should go see the film ELYSIUM which dropped this weekend. At one point this brah's face gets blown off, but cause it's the future a couple of brah's put him in this healing pod and program it to perform a "maxillofacial avulsion" and it rebuilds his whole face from scratch.  And I was like f**k yeah! They brah's on jawsurgeryforums would luv this s**t! The neeeeed this sheeeet.

x

• Private
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2013, 01:13:38 PM »

profile is a dumb benchmark, she looked nearly supermodel tier from profile and her frontal just looks decent

x

• Private
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2013, 01:37:28 PM »
jay leno is a good example of an excessively long lower face

pekay

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2013, 01:50:41 PM »
profile is a dumb benchmark, she looked nearly supermodel tier from profile and her frontal just looks decent

that is because there is no way to significantly improve a face from the front unless a person has a really pronounced over-bite (gummy smile in particular), under bite or severely recessed jaws (just IMO)

jaw surgery in general is mostly about self-perception, people are more likely to notice that you had your braces removed than your actual surgery outcome
Chopsticks > Spoons