Author Topic: How to chose a surgeon  (Read 807 times)

eglantine

How to chose a surgeon
« on: June 02, 2021, 11:12:50 AM »
Hi everyone,
I'm considering a possible jaw surgery. I've already consulted with Alfaro but I would like to consult at least three surgeons to have their different opinions.
I've seen some names occurring often in this forum (Gunson, Pelro, Raffaini for example) but I don't know how to chose a surgeon. Are there some things to look at to have an idea of how good he is ? How have you made your own choice ?

Thanks !

GJ

• Administrator
Re: How to chose a surgeon
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2021, 11:27:08 AM »
There's no magic formula for choosing one. I'd say don't tell them what you want before the consult. Go in and see which guy comes closest to your own ideas of what's wrong and how to fix it. Trust your gut instincts and first impressions, too.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2021, 01:00:16 PM »
It takes a lot of TIME and RESEARCH to identify and pin point what problems you have and wish to be corrected and to also be able to identify the doctor who's advice of what to do targets what you see on your face. That resolves to the acquisition of KNOWLEDGE and for some people that can take a very long time especially those who have little to no basic geometry under belt given that understanding of maxfax principles is fundamentally rooted in understanding points, lines, angles and planes.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

eglantine

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2021, 08:52:30 PM »
Thank you for your replies !

Actually, Alfaro gave me details of his plan for me and it would shorten the space between my upper lip and my nose. Whereas in my opinion, it is the space between my chin and lower lip that should be shortened. When I told him that, he said that anyways "we would proceed with a 3D design of the surgery. At the end it is all about placing your maxilla, mandible and chin in the ideal aesthetic and functional position according to your wishes. "

I'm wondering if the fact that we obviously have very different esthetic perceptions is a problem. Should I only care about the technical skill of a surgeon, trusting that if he understands my wishes, he will be able to conform to it ? Or, as you seem to suggest, I should not consider a surgeon whose original view is very different from mine ?