Author Topic: Jaw Surgery Questions  (Read 1311 times)

sefayan

Jaw Surgery Questions
« on: June 18, 2021, 02:05:15 PM »
https://imgur.com/a/LGf1ssr
Attached above is my CT scan, as well as a side picture of my face
I have been told I need jaw surgery to correct my airway and my bite. My bite is slightly turned sideways and I am asymmetrical.
my main concern is not aesthetic, mainly functionality, as i cannot breathe normally.
i have a tongue overflow when i try to mew, meaning proper tongue posture pressing against my palate.
i cannot sleep well at nights, often waking up, and going into my next day confused, overly aggressive, tired, and overall very unhappy.
i am getting mse installed on the 28th with dr ting.
I have a consultation with gunson as well as waline of LACOMS.
however, my surgery will not be until 18 months as stated by dr ting.
my treatment time orthodontically is 24 months and jaw surgery occurs 75 percent through orthodontic treatment,
will mse help me breathe as well as invisalign to help correct my bite until jaw surgery? or will i rely on cpap machine for the next year or so. thanks all.
also, i am not one to purposely ask stupid questions, however, does anyone know how much forward movement i will need to properly fix my bite and harmonize my face?
at this point i am struggling with everyday tasks now that i am self aware of my breathing issues

GJ

• Administrator
Re: Jaw Surgery Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2021, 03:50:23 PM »
Those records aren't that great. We can't see your bite or much else, so it's hard to say on movements.

Did they say how big your airway is? Usually it's an upper and lower measurement.

Regarding MSE, I'm skeptical of these procedures in adults, but there's some evidence it can be mildly effective. Seems it's lone wolf orthos out there claiming it works (maybe to drum up business?), and others are saying you can get a max of .5mm expansion. Verdict is out, IMO, but it does show some promise.

Your profile looks good, so I'd be leery of jaw surgery. Your neck, I notice, is on the thicker side. This could be the problem, and you might want to try weight loss + MSE before committing to surgery. I think with those two things, you might be able to avoid surgery, based on what I'm seeing.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

varbrah

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2021, 04:25:51 PM »
Regarding MSE, I'm skeptical of these procedures in adults, but there's some evidence it can be mildly effective. Seems it's lone wolf orthos out there claiming it works (maybe to drum up business?), and others are saying you can get a max of .5mm expansion. Verdict is out, IMO, but it does show some promise.

As long as the expander is able to disarticulate the midpalatal suture / overcome the maxillary buttress, I don't think there's a question of whether it's effective. The 0.5mm max expansion claim is totally bunk too - no real limit to expansion other then lower arch width (can be circumvented w/ MSDO) and the max width of the expander itself..

Below are my changes after ~10mm expansion up to 48mm IMW. Skeletal changes quite apparent even at 24 y.o. and my OSA went from severe to very mild (planning to get MMA to totally nip it in the bud).

https://imgur.com/a/6rcG4X9

sefayan

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2021, 05:14:49 PM »
I definitely need surgery. The angle is off but I'm 6'3 185 and fairly low BF percentage. I would say around 15% but even if I lower it to 12-13 it won't do much for my airway. As far as the MSE expansion goes I've seen people get an upwards of 4-5 mm. I'm 21 for the record so not fully grown in my sutures.

sefayan

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2021, 05:17:01 PM »
Also the MMA surgery is included in my ortho treatment, so its not really an option to avoid it