Author Topic: LF1 and nose/lip changes  (Read 1621 times)

jawstark

LF1 and nose/lip changes
« on: October 13, 2021, 01:25:16 AM »
My question is if u almost got no advancement of the Maxilla and only CCW how dramatic could the nose changes(upturning and/or widening) be?

GJ

• Administrator
Re: LF1 and nose/lip changes
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 07:36:16 AM »
Why cut the maxilla if you're not moving it at all?

Anyway, the nose would still change (widen) because the alar muscles are cut as part of that procedure. Upturning is more a function of forward advancement, so that would likely be minimal.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

jawstark

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2021, 04:45:29 PM »
Why cut the maxilla if you're not moving it at all?

Anyway, the nose would still change (widen) because the alar muscles are cut as part of that procedure. Upturning is more a function of forward advancement, so that would likely be minimal.

So i can get only a small rotation in order to get a bisso movement...

I am no rhino expert.  Is there a way to fix nose widening with alar Base reduction after the surgery?

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2021, 07:30:07 PM »
Ah okay, so you're saying the maxilla will move, it just will pivot in a rotation rather than move forward?

I'd expect nose widening of 1 to 2mm. Regarding upturning, that is harder to say. I've seen CCW cases with a lot of upturning and some with none. It's going to have to do with your anatomy (ans, tissue thickness, current nose droop, etc). I'd plan for at least a little change in that regard.

Kavan might be able to help on the plastic surgery question. That's out of my realm.

jawstark

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2021, 12:42:27 AM »
Ah okay, so you're saying the maxilla will move, it just will pivot in a rotation rather than move forward?

I'd expect nose widening of 1 to 2mm. Regarding upturning, that is harder to say. I've seen CCW cases with a lot of upturning and some with none. It's going to have to do with your anatomy (ans, tissue thickness, current nose droop, etc). I'd plan for at least a little change in that regard.

Kavan might be able to help on the plastic surgery question. That's out of my realm.

so its a rotation of max 2.5 degrees what do you think how much might it change and so you mean 1-2 mm on each side?

How about lips i have seen they usually get fuller and wider. Will this be the case by such a small rotation atleast for the upperlip?

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2021, 06:39:02 AM »
so its a rotation of max 2.5 degrees what do you think how much might it change and so you mean 1-2 mm on each side?

How about lips i have seen they usually get fuller and wider. Will this be the case by such a small rotation atleast for the upperlip?

1 to 2mm max (both sides) is the norm. It will be noticeable, but depending on your face, it might not be a big deal at all. I had about 1.5mm widening, and it's totally fine. Once you get over 2mm it becomes bad, but usually that's from the surgeon not handling the alar muscles correctly.

I'm not sure on the lips. I'd say in general a CW movement thins them, and a CCW could thicken them (more support, etc), but I'm not positive it always works that way. Every 3mm of bone movement is about 1mm of soft tissue movement. Thickness of your tissue will effect that, though, so it's hard to say.

jawstark

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2021, 10:51:57 PM »
1 to 2mm max (both sides) is the norm. It will be noticeable, but depending on your face, it might not be a big deal at all. I had about 1.5mm widening, and it's totally fine. Once you get over 2mm it becomes bad, but usually that's from the surgeon not handling the alar muscles correctly.

I'm not sure on the lips. I'd say in general a CW movement thins them, and a CCW could thicken them (more support, etc), but I'm not positive it always works that way. Every 3mm of bone movement is about 1mm of soft tissue movement. Thickness of your tissue will effect that, though, so it's hard to say.

ok so as i understand it widening is a given and happening for sure how about the nose being more upturned considering its only 2.5 degrees max of CCW rotation for the maxilla

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2021, 07:39:08 AM »
For that I stand by this statement made above:

Regarding upturning, that is harder to say. I've seen CCW cases with a lot of upturning and some with none. It's going to have to do with your anatomy (ans, tissue thickness, current nose droop, etc). I'd plan for at least a little change in that regard.

It stands to reason the smaller the movement (e.g. 2.5 degrees) the less upturning you'd experience. But the sad reality is nobody will know until you go through the procedure, because you have different anatomy to everyone else on the planet. We're all unique and will react differently. But if you look at the ANS, tissue thickness, current droop, and all the other variables, you can come to some idea of what might happen.

Since you have anxiety over this, you should talk to the surgeon about it and see what they say.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2021, 01:18:09 PM »
CW, CCW reference illustration. Based on the rotation of a triangle.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.