Author Topic: CCW-rotation of Maxilla  (Read 3089 times)

jawstark

CCW-rotation of Maxilla
« on: October 20, 2021, 11:57:50 AM »
My question would be how much does the maxilla move forward only with rotation?

Like is there a general rule of thumb for example every 1° of CCW rotation equals in 0.5mm maxilla advancment?

Post bimax

• Private
Re: CCW-rotation of Maxilla
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2021, 09:22:28 PM »
It depends which part of the maxilla you’re talking about and the axis of rotation. For example, if the axis is the vertical center of the maxilla, your ANS will move posterior and your incisor tip anterior. There’s no ‘rule of thumb’ but you could work it out with trig if you know your measurements.

jawstark

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2021, 03:56:44 AM »
It depends which part of the maxilla you’re talking about and the axis of rotation. For example, if the axis is the vertical center of the maxilla, your ANS will move posterior and your incisor tip anterior. There’s no ‘rule of thumb’ but you could work it out with trig if you know your measurements.

Ok but if the rotation is CCW wouldnt the ANS always move posterior and incisor tip anterior or do i get something wrong here?

Post bimax

• Private
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2021, 09:32:48 AM »
Ok but if the rotation is CCW wouldnt the ANS always move posterior and incisor tip anterior or do i get something wrong here?

Generally yes unless the axis of rotation is at the ANS. In that case, the ANS will be static.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2021, 04:29:51 PM »
diagram
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

jawstark

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2021, 03:06:10 AM »
diagram
Do you know what effects there are if the ANS is being brought backwards and PNS down (ccw rotation around incicors)

And also how would someone achieve CCW rotation around incicors in contrast to ccw around ans

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2021, 01:13:22 PM »
Do you know what effects there are if the ANS is being brought backwards and PNS down (ccw rotation around incicors)

And also how would someone achieve CCW rotation around incicors in contrast to ccw around ans

Yes, of course I do and so does my 3rd grader who can not only read what the diagram says but also knows how to rotate a simple triangle and observe where the lines and vertexes of the triangle displace as a function of the direction of rotation and the PIVOT POINT of the rotation. The main effect is that the chin point is going to displace 'forward'. As to the incisor point being the selected pivot point, the concept is similar to selecting ANY point on a triangle as the pivot point. The pivot point, ANY pivot point is the point selected where you DON'T want IT to move but you want all other points found on the triangle to move around it. So, if the incisor point is selected as the pivot point, when the triangle is rotated CCW, all the points of the triangle will displace EXCEPT the incisor point. The chin point will displace forward.

Here's what else I know:

Both CW and CCW are based on the fundamental geometric concept of the rotation of a TRIANGLE around selected rotation/PIVOT points. I would say the concept is elementary and at grammar school level. That is to say, it FIRST needs to become SELF EVIDENT (via observation) as to where the vertexes of a TRIANGLE go when the TRIANGLE is ROTATED around a FIXED PIVOT POINT. WHY? Because if someone can't observe where the points along a TRIANGLE go/displace when the triangle is PIVOTED around a selected point, they won't be able to RELATE the triangle of the FACE (as seen in the diagram) back to a simple geometric concept.

Your questions belie you are unable to conceptualize very basic geometrical relationships. I'll give you a grammar school exercise that could help with the basic concept behind the ROTATION of a TRIANGLE. That's because there is no point in my answering questions about what the 'effects' are of ROTATING a facial TRIANGLE in the event the person asking wouldn't/couldn't be able to rotate a simple geometric figure (a triangle) and OBSERVE how the triangle displaces.

Here's a simple (grammar school level) exercise you can do:

Supplies needed: 2 pieces of cardboard, 1 piece of paper, 2 colored pencils and one push pin.

Construct a TRIANGLE from a piece of cardboard somewhat similar to the one in the diagram. Place a piece of cardboard on the table and a piece of paper on top of that. LABEL the VERTEXES of your triangle; A,B and C. In other words, let vertex A = vertex ANS, vertex B=PNS and vertex C= the chin point. Now PIN the triangle down at PIVOT POINT A shown in the diagram here as the ANS point and orient it like it's oriented in the diagram. TRACE your triangle in one COLOR where it is initially oriented. ROTATE it CCW around the pivot point A and make sure the pivot point does not move. Now TRACE the triangle in a DIFFERENT color. Remove the cardboard triangle and observe how the triangle displaces by looking at the piece of paper with the tracings in 2 different colors. Label the original orientation of the VERTEXES of the triangle; A B and C. Now label where those SAME vertexes go after the rotation. Label them A',B' and C'.

Basically, all you have to do is OBSERVE where all the parts of the TRIANGLE go/displace that are NOT pinned down. The most OBVIOUS thing to see is that when the pivot point is CCW around vertex A, vertex C which moves to C' is displaced 'forward' also that vertex B is displaced downward to B'.
Since A=ANS, B=PNS and C=chin point, this simple exercise should help make it INTUITIVELY OBVIOUS that the chin point goes 'forward' with a CCW-r around the ANS point.

You can do the SAME exercise with the SAME triangle by pinning it down at a point similar to the incisor point which in the diagram is about half way along line AC of the triangle. Likewise, you can do same exercise by rotating in CW around either point.

So, the only way to CONCEPTUALIZE where areas on the face would/could displace is to acquire the ability to observe how a TRIANGLE displaces, particularly one that is constructed similar to one with VERTEXES; ANS, PNS and the chin point.

jawstark

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2021, 03:29:55 PM »
Yes, of course I do and so does my 3rd grader who can not only read what the diagram says but also knows how to rotate a simple triangle and observe where the lines and vertexes of the triangle displace as a function of the direction of rotation and the PIVOT POINT of the rotation. The main effect is that the chin point is going to displace 'forward'. As to the incisor point being the selected pivot point, the concept is similar to selecting ANY point on a triangle as the pivot point. The pivot point, ANY pivot point is the point selected where you DON'T want IT to move but you want all other points found on the triangle to move around it. So, if the incisor point is selected as the pivot point, when the triangle is rotated CCW, all the points of the triangle will displace EXCEPT the incisor point. The chin point will displace forward.

Here's what else I know:

Both CW and CCW are based on the fundamental geometric concept of the rotation of a TRIANGLE around selected rotation/PIVOT points. I would say the concept is elementary and at grammar school level. That is to say, it FIRST needs to become SELF EVIDENT (via observation) as to where the vertexes of a TRIANGLE go when the TRIANGLE is ROTATED around a FIXED PIVOT POINT. WHY? Because if someone can't observe where the points along a TRIANGLE go/displace when the triangle is PIVOTED around a selected point, they won't be able to RELATE the triangle of the FACE (as seen in the diagram) back to a simple geometric concept.

Your questions belie you are unable to conceptualize very basic geometrical relationships. I'll give you a grammar school exercise that could help with the basic concept behind the ROTATION of a TRIANGLE. That's because there is no point in my answering questions about what the 'effects' are of ROTATING a facial TRIANGLE in the event the person asking wouldn't/couldn't be able to rotate a simple geometric figure (a triangle) and OBSERVE how the triangle displaces.

Here's a simple (grammar school level) exercise you can do:

Supplies needed: 2 pieces of cardboard, 1 piece of paper, 2 colored pencils and one push pin.

Construct a TRIANGLE from a piece of cardboard somewhat similar to the one in the diagram. Place a piece of cardboard on the table and a piece of paper on top of that. LABEL the VERTEXES of your triangle; A,B and C. In other words, let vertex A = vertex ANS, vertex B=PNS and vertex C= the chin point. Now PIN the triangle down at PIVOT POINT A shown in the diagram here as the ANS point and orient it like it's oriented in the diagram. TRACE your triangle in one COLOR where it is initially oriented. ROTATE it CCW around the pivot point A and make sure the pivot point does not move. Now TRACE the triangle in a DIFFERENT color. Remove the cardboard triangle and observe how the triangle displaces by looking at the piece of paper with the tracings in 2 different colors. Label the original orientation of the VERTEXES of the triangle; A B and C. Now label where those SAME vertexes go after the rotation. Label them A',B' and C'.

Basically, all you have to do is OBSERVE where all the parts of the TRIANGLE go/displace that are NOT pinned down. The most OBVIOUS thing to see is that when the pivot point is CCW around vertex A, vertex C which moves to C' is displaced 'forward' also that vertex B is displaced downward to B'.
Since A=ANS, B=PNS and C=chin point, this simple exercise should help make it INTUITIVELY OBVIOUS that the chin point goes 'forward' with a CCW-r around the ANS point.

You can do the SAME exercise with the SAME triangle by pinning it down at a point similar to the incisor point which in the diagram is about half way along line AC of the triangle. Likewise, you can do same exercise by rotating in CW around either point.

So, the only way to CONCEPTUALIZE where areas on the face would/could displace is to acquire the ability to observe how a TRIANGLE displaces, particularly one that is constructed similar to one with VERTEXES; ANS, PNS and the chin point.

Dude are you socially retarded or something?

who is gonna read this essay you posted?

In case u dont have the capacities to understand the question i asked in a JAWSURGERY FORUM: when i ask HOW such a rotation is achieved i meant obviously the kind of cuts done with impaction/downgraft of anterior/posterior maxilla.
AND IF there are different strategies to achieve that with pros and cons.

Next time think about the fact that we are in a JAWSURGERY FORUM and not in your imagination where you teach third graders

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2021, 04:06:32 PM »
It looks like YOU are.

Certainly NOT you.

In case u dont have the capacities to understand the question i asked in a JAWSURGERY FORUM: when i ask HOW such a rotation is achieved i meant obviously the kind of cuts done with impaction/downgraft of anterior/posterior maxilla.
Your questions reveal you lack the capacity to relate rotation of a simple triangle to your questions. So, exercise in futility to get any more complex than that.

Next time think about the fact that we are in a JAWSURGERY FORUM and not in your imagination where you teach third graders

Next time try to demonstrate that you have no problem understanding what a straight forward diagram conveys. Actually, there will be NO 'next time' with you because I've put you on my IGNORE list as far as addressing further questions. My bad for not KEEPING you on my ignore list subsequent to your question.

Post bimax

• Private
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2021, 04:10:29 PM »

You did not ask which cuts were necessary to achieve ccw rotation, you asked 'how' it can be done, which is what Kavan outlined.  Nothing else is going to make sense if you aren't getting the basic geometrical rotations.  For example, if you understand the rotations, it should be fairly obvious to extrapolate that a posterior downgraft of the maxilla is required regardless of the axis of rotation.  Further, it should be obvious that a BSSO will also be required because the occlusal plane will necessarily change if the maxilla is rotating around a fixed point, unless there is some pre-existing deformity which the maxillary rotation will fix in isolation.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2021, 04:27:13 PM »
You did not ask which cuts were necessary to achieve ccw rotation, you asked 'how' it can be done, which is what Kavan outlined.  Nothing else is going to make sense if you aren't getting the basic geometrical rotations.  For example, if you understand the rotations, it should be fairly obvious to extrapolate that a posterior downgraft of the maxilla is required regardless of the axis of rotation.  Further, it should be obvious that a BSSO will also be required because the occlusal plane will necessarily change if the maxilla is rotating around a fixed point, unless there is some pre-existing deformity which the maxillary rotation will fix in isolation.

EXACTLY! and in retrospect, LOL  to assuming this one could work things out with trigonometry.

jawstark

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2021, 01:46:57 AM »

Ok next time i will just forget the fact that we are  in a forum dedicated to Jaw surgery .

AND are you seriously claiming that CCW-r are only achieved through one way(posterior downgraft is only one part of it)? There are many ways with pros and cons.

you are just retarded if you think i have trouble understanding basic geometry.

EXACTLY! and in retrospect, LOL  to assuming this one could work things out with trigonometry.

shut up i told you already what i meant you cuck

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2021, 06:47:26 AM »
Be civil, everyone.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2021, 08:31:43 AM »
Might as well add: 'Don't try to help posters who's questions reflect they can't or refuse to relate to the fundamental/elementary principles behind the questions they are asking. Because they could get aggressively abusive.

Fact of the matter is that concepts in jaw surgery are directly related to points, lines, angles, planes, rotations..etc.

Here, the poster became aggressively defiant and verbally abusive subsequent to those on here pointing out basic geometrical rotations are those that CCW-R are based on.

If he has 'no trouble' understanding the basic relationships as he contends here, then he can use them to figure out the answers to his own questions, on his own without the help on this board.

Post bimax

• Private
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2021, 04:44:46 PM »
Ok next time i will just forget the fact that we are  in a forum dedicated to Jaw surgery .

AND are you seriously claiming that CCW-r are only achieved through one way(posterior downgraft is only one part of it)? There are many ways with pros and cons.

you are just retarded if you think i have trouble understanding basic geometry.

shut up i told you already what i meant you cuck

You can also achieve CCW via anterior impaction of the maxilla but then you are going to significantly alter tooth/gum show. Typically anterior impaction is performed with the goal of addressing tooth/gum show with CCW-r as a byproduct.

Depending on the present orientation of your jaw, linear MMA may resolve to a net CCW movement, but this is not what you were asking about.

If you are aware of the other “many ways” of  rotating the MMC CCW I’m eager to hear.