Author Topic: Genioplasty nerve damage 4 months post OP  (Read 1741 times)

GenericJaw

Genioplasty nerve damage 4 months post OP
« on: November 22, 2021, 05:43:54 PM »
Hi, I had an extended open wedge genioplasty , it took 2 revisions due to hardware failure and infection of an implant that was used alongside the osteotomy. Now I’m 4 months post op , the implant was removed but the genio kept, and my chin hurts everyday. It feels very stiff like the skin is being pulled down to my neck and also I will get itching all over the chin region as well as a dull ache in the teeth. Has anyone had anything similiar, is this just nerve pain. I am so over the moon with my aeasthetic result that I could live with this pain forever but I’m concerned what if it’s pain from an infection or what if there’s a non union. Some users here also have pain after genio, did yours eventually resolve. I would describe it as fluctuating between 1-3/10 but it’s 24/7. Stiffness , tight feeling of the skin being pulled especially when lifting head up and burning/itching feeling occasionally 

GJ

• Administrator
Re: Genioplasty nerve damage 4 months post OP
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2021, 06:33:20 PM »
I have chin issues, too. You can see my prior thread about this.

But yeah, I think it's scar tissue in my case. Very likely you have scar tissue around the plates. I think I"m going to get an injection to see if it loosens the scar tissue. It's possible you do have nerve damage if you have an itching sensation. Request an EMG or something similar.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

Lazlo

• Private
Re: Genioplasty nerve damage 4 months post OP
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2021, 11:56:10 PM »
Hi, I had an extended open wedge genioplasty , it took 2 revisions due to hardware failure and infection of an implant that was used alongside the osteotomy. Now I’m 4 months post op , the implant was removed but the genio kept, and my chin hurts everyday. It feels very stiff like the skin is being pulled down to my neck and also I will get itching all over the chin region as well as a dull ache in the teeth. Has anyone had anything similiar, is this just nerve pain. I am so over the moon with my aeasthetic result that I could live with this pain forever but I’m concerned what if it’s pain from an infection or what if there’s a non union. Some users here also have pain after genio, did yours eventually resolve. I would describe it as fluctuating between 1-3/10 but it’s 24/7. Stiffness , tight feeling of the skin being pulled especially when lifting head up and burning/itching feeling occasionally

any pain you had should have resolved by the 2 week mark so something is definitely not optimal.