Author Topic: How common to extend cut of genioplasty back to molars?  (Read 865 times)

Tomasjohn

• Private
How common to extend cut of genioplasty back to molars?
« on: November 26, 2021, 07:02:00 AM »
See title

It seems to me they often start the cut more anterior (below the incisors).
Does anyone have experience with this or does know more?

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: How common to extend cut of genioplasty back to molars?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2021, 11:27:26 AM »
The cut you are describing is an (isolated) osteotomy to the mandibular border. It is commonly referred to as a 'chin wing'. So your question 'translates' to asking how common it is for doctors who do genioplasties to also perform chin wings. I don't know the answer. But I do know that it's very common for doctors who do 'chin wings' to extend their cuts to the back molars.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

Tomasjohn

• Private
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2021, 06:38:18 AM »
The cut you are describing is an (isolated) osteotomy to the mandibular border. It is commonly referred to as a 'chin wing'. So your question 'translates' to asking how common it is for doctors who do genioplasties to also perform chin wings. I don't know the answer. But I do know that it's very common for doctors who do 'chin wings' to extend their cuts to the back molars.

Thanks for the answer kavan.

Just to clarify: Sometimes they extend their cuts "just" to the back molars but not all the way back to the angle of the mandible?

I would assume that in such a case it would most likely make sense to move the bone just forward along the mandibular plane.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 11:56:32 AM by Tomasjohn »

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2021, 12:16:56 PM »
Thanks for the answer kavan.

Just to clarify: Sometimes they extend their cuts "just" to the back molars but not all the way back to the angle of the mandible?

I would assume that in such a case it would most likely make sense to move the bone just forward along the mandibular plane.

The cut for the chinwing is all the way back to the angle of the mandible which is what I thought was meant when you said 'back to the molars' as in PAST the molars.

Tomasjohn

• Private
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2021, 12:27:19 PM »
The cut for the chinwing is all the way back to the angle of the mandible which is what I thought was meant when you said 'back to the molars' as in PAST the molars.

Ok so we had a misunderstanding.
The reason why I asked the question is because I read the following:

"The most commonly encountered aesthetic problem relative to the surgical technique (genioplasty) is failure to extend the osteotomy cut far enough posteriorly. This can result in an hourglass deformity with excessive tapering of the mandible in the area immediately posterior to the osteotomy. This can be largely avoided if the osteotomy cut is extended back to the molar teeth, as it is placed in an area where abundant soft tissue is present to mask any notching of the inferior mandibular border"

Source: https://doctorlib.info/surgery/plastic-surgery/51.html

I am just curious because after reading online it seems its either all the way back to the angle of the mandible (chin wing) or just a small part of the mandible, like below the incisors. I was really wondering if anyone here had a genioplasty with a cut that extends far back (but not as far as a chin wing).

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2021, 01:56:56 PM »
OK, I looked at the diagram in the link. To the best of my knowledge, diagram 'A' is one you are referring to. That's usually called a 'horizontal' genio.