Author Topic: Why do some people lose their jaw angles after BSSO?  (Read 1484 times)

eastcoastian1

Why do some people lose their jaw angles after BSSO?
« on: February 15, 2022, 08:58:03 PM »
Curious on why some people completely lose their jaw angles after surgery. For example, the person below technically looks like they have a "good" result (better, wider smile, teeth proper place), but aesthetically would argue he looks even worse as he has completely lost his jaw angles, which are now blunted/rounded.

What causes this? Is this simply due to elongating the lower jaw, thereby straightening out those angles? Or is it something else?

https://imgur.com/a/feUqpi6

Gadwins

• Private
Re: Why do some people lose their jaw angles after BSSO?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2022, 04:01:37 AM »
Not comparable. He has a beard now, period.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2022, 08:10:15 AM »
Not comparable. He has a beard now, period.

Plus his jaw angles look better.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2022, 09:54:51 AM »
What causes WHAT?  Clarify which is the before and which is after, source of photo and whether BSSO or not.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

eastcoastian1

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2022, 09:58:06 AM »
What causes WHAT?  Clarify which is the before and which is after, source of photo and whether BSSO or not.

Apologies.

First is AFTER. Second is BEFORE.

Beard or not, his his angularity at the jaw has all but disappeared. Went from sharp to rounded. Just curious if this is because a straight BSSO (as opposed to double jaw with CCW) would simply lengthen the jaw, therefore making the face more narrow.

eastcoastian1

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2022, 09:59:03 AM »
Plus his jaw angles look better.

Really? To me they look non existent now. To be clear, the first is AFTER and the second is BEFORE.

Tomasjohn

• Private
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2022, 10:02:18 AM »
Class II Malocclusions can lead to increased bite force. This could lead to more masseter volume.
So after BSSO there could be less strain on the muscle which could then lead to a decrease in volume.
--> Please correct me if I am wrong.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 10:17:33 AM by Tomasjohn »

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2022, 11:33:46 AM »
Really? To me they look non existent now. To be clear, the first is AFTER and the second is BEFORE.

Oh okay, I assumed the first was before and second was after.
In that case, I take my comment back, but it is hard to tell with the beard. It looks like he had an underbite before (?), now that I look closer...reducing that is probably what you're seeing as worse angles.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

eastcoastian1

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2022, 11:41:31 AM »
Oh okay, I assumed the first was before and second was after.
In that case, I take my comment back, but it is hard to tell with the beard. It looks like he had an underbite before (?), now that I look closer...reducing that is probably what you're seeing as worse angles.

Hmm, usually the “setbacks” make the angles more pronounced from what I’ve seen. It’s the straight advancements that seem to often make narrow.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2022, 01:24:41 PM »
Apologies.

First is AFTER. Second is BEFORE.

Beard or not, his his angularity at the jaw has all but disappeared. Went from sharp to rounded. Just curious if this is because a straight BSSO (as opposed to double jaw with CCW) would simply lengthen the jaw, therefore making the face more narrow.

If you want OUTPUT info as to photos, you will need to put the proper INPUT info in.

I can't answer questions about photos that you just happen to find from who knows where which weren't even labeled 'before/after' in the right order. I have no way of knowing whether or not the person even had a BSSO or what the TIME FRAME was between photos.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2022, 01:35:11 PM »
Class II Malocclusions can lead to increased bite force. This could lead to more masseter volume.
So after BSSO there could be less strain on the muscle which could then lead to a decrease in volume.
--> Please correct me if I am wrong.

I'd be the first one to do that. BUT you are usually RIGHT as to the general relationships.