Author Topic: Midline discrepancy and some back teeth do not touch post surgery (complications  (Read 1227 times)

mss2272

I had my surgery two weeks ago. I had no ortho work prior to the surgery because my occlusion was in good shape (Class I on both sides). However, after the surgery, there's has been a midline discrepancy (3-4 mms). Additionally, the back teeth on my left hand side do not touch at all. I did not see this coming. The doctor told me that it's probably due to swelling. I've used the rubber bands but the issues still persist. Did anyone experience these issues? If so, how did they get fixed?

Thanks in advance!

PloskoPlus

At the very minimum you'll need braces. Most likely a revision.

ArtVandelay

• Private
I had my surgery two weeks ago. I had no ortho work prior to the surgery because my occlusion was in good shape (Class I on both sides). However, after the surgery, there's has been a midline discrepancy (3-4 mms). Additionally, the back teeth on my left hand side do not touch at all. I did not see this coming. The doctor told me that it's probably due to swelling. I've used the rubber bands but the issues still persist. Did anyone experience these issues? If so, how did they get fixed?

Thanks in advance!

If you just had the surgery then revising it now is biologically cheap. Swelling is very unlikely to cause the back teeth not touching. If you can, ask your orthodontist for an urgent visit and voice your concerns about the posterior bite being bad. See if they think it's fixable.Time is critical here so you'd need to properly asses the surgical outcome here yourself.

GJ

• Administrator
The doctor told me that it's probably due to swelling.

That's ridiculous.

You'll need revision, or possibly crowns, to get the back teeth to touch. They can try rubber bands, but that's for small distances like sub 1mm gap. A midline being off 1mm or so is normal, but 3 to 4mm is bad. It sounds like this is a bad surgeon. Sorry.
Millimeters are miles on the face.