Author Topic: How is the longevity of PEEK jaw implants?  (Read 1489 times)

crosshold

How is the longevity of PEEK jaw implants?
« on: January 06, 2023, 04:31:59 PM »
I'm considering getting either a chin wing or that but I'm not sure which I should go with.

Tomasjohn

• Private
Re: How is the longevity of PEEK jaw implants?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2023, 08:00:42 AM »
The material (peek) won't be the problem. I think what has a bigger influence is the human body, in this case the bone on which the implant is fixed and also the soft tissues that lie over the implant. I would like to see a 60 year old man who had implants done in his twenties.

I don't know of any long-term studies on jaw angle implants. You should look for them.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2023, 09:08:19 AM »
I think what has a bigger influence is the human body, in this case the bone on which the implant is fixed and also the soft tissues that lie over the implant.

What's your theory on what would happen?

Even titanium fixed to bone via BSSO I wonder about as the skull naturally changes with age...
Millimeters are miles on the face.

Tomasjohn

• Private
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2023, 07:37:24 AM »
What's your theory on what would happen?

Even titanium fixed to bone via BSSO I wonder about as the skull naturally changes with age...

I don't know what would happen but if we're to get an implant (especially a big one) to augment my jaw then this would certainly be on top of my list of concerns long term. My concern would be that the original implant design would not fit my now old skull and soft tissue any more and would look bad or reveal itself.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2023, 09:08:49 AM »
I don't know what would happen but if we're to get an implant (especially a big one) to augment my jaw then this would certainly be on top of my list of concerns long term. My concern would be that the original implant design would not fit my now old skull and soft tissue any more and would look bad or reveal itself.

Correct. Jaw bone shrinks with age and soft tissue covering the implant can become depleted. That is part of what is called 'involution' which basically is the body dissolving itself in the aging process.  So, the borders of the implant might become more visible and that would be directly proportional to how large the implant is and also how the jaw bone can change shape with age.

Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2023, 07:29:18 AM »
Correct. Jaw bone shrinks with age and soft tissue covering the implant can become depleted. That is part of what is called 'involution' which basically is the body dissolving itself in the aging process.  So, the borders of the implant might become more visible and that would be directly proportional to how large the implant is and also how the jaw bone can change shape with age.

At what age are we talking?
Millimeters are miles on the face.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2023, 02:08:01 PM »
At what age are we talking?
Well, in middle age, it accelerates and accelerates MORE past that. For example, at 50 or so, you will definitely notice the difference and after that, this accelerates more and more with advancing age.

The process starts GRADUALLY when one is younger though. So, late 20's or so, it's not noticeable and on subtle side in 30's. In 40's the changes get more noticeable.

Basically it is SAME as aging process; gradual in 20's and not so noticeable but after 40, it goes from noticeable to very noticeable in terms of acceleration of the aging process over time.

ETA: Just to say, the implant itself, may remain constant but the biological material (your bones and flesh) change around it.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

Queensgambit8

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2023, 02:19:35 AM »
I just wanted to add a personal experience, as I had Su-por implants (custom chin, cheek and mandibular implants as well in one procedure, moderate sizes) in my mid 20's (now in my early 40's), haven't really noticed any real changes on my face regarding the noticeability of the implants or changes in naturalness in harmony of my face, although my body (muscle mass, soft tissues and somewhat the bone weight) changes logically. Maybe it has to do something with the material of the implant as well.

Tomasjohn

• Private
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2023, 05:18:23 AM »
 Thanks for this. Always interesting to hear and I am glad you don't see any changes.

I just wanted to add a personal experience, as I had Su-por implants (custom chin, cheek and mandibular implants as well in one procedure, moderate sizes) in my mid 20's (now in my early 40's), haven't really noticed any real changes on my face regarding the noticeability of the implants or changes in naturalness in harmony of my face, although my body (muscle mass, soft tissues and somewhat the bone weight) changes logically. Maybe it has to do something with the material of the implant as well.

Queensgambit8

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2023, 04:32:37 AM »
Thanks for this. Always interesting to hear and I am glad you don't see any changes.

With pleasure!

ahamis

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2023, 05:32:16 PM »
Can PEEK implants be "easily" removed like silicone?
Or it is more like Medpor implants: nightmare to be removed