Author Topic: How much movement can i get via a bsso here?  (Read 603 times)

mediumdrinkofwater

How much movement can i get via a bsso here?
« on: January 15, 2023, 04:14:02 AM »
My problem: Due to the short chin/jaw, my aesthetic issue is that I have a lot of soft tissue around the cheek area, which gets balled up and makes me appear a lot younger than I am. 

My scans: https://imgur.com/a/qrrTMyf

According to my orthodontist I have an overbite of 4mm. Does this suggest i can get 3-4mm horizontal movement via a Bsso?

What kind of genioplasty would mimic the bsso movement in my case?

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: How much movement can i get via a bsso here?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2023, 08:59:31 PM »
An overBITE is a VERTICAL discrepancy where the front upper teeth overlap the front bottom teeth maybe more than 2mm or so. It's when the front upper teeth are vertically aligned.

It is the over JET, where the front upper teeth jet outward and are diagonally outward inclined which is the HORIZONTAL discrepancy associated with bringing the lower jaw forward.

Looks like you have the former (overBITE) and not the latter (overJET). So, no, it doesn't suggest that.

BSSOs are rarely 'horizontal'. For the most part, they follow the angle of inclination the mandible has with the horizont. (Mandibular plane angle), especially so if it's a single jaw surgery and/or there is no rotation with the Lefort 1. Any displacement along a diagonally inclined path will be a combination of horizontal displacement and vertical displacement just like walking up or down a hill is.Hence, one vector of displacement is horizontal (outward) and the other vertical(downward) in a BSSO. But never purely 'horizontal' in the BSSO. Some elementary capacity in grammar school geometry concepts is needed to find what I say as intuitively obvious.

Although a genio doesn't necessarily 'mimic' the BSSO, but solely in terms of DIRECTIONAL DISPLACEMENT of a single BSSO (with no rotation from a Lefort 1) that simply moves 'forward' along the diagonal inclination the jaw line has with the horizont , the directional displacement would be 'down and out'.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

mediumdrinkofwater

Re: How much movement can i get via a bsso here?
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2023, 08:37:59 AM »
In my case, there is a horizontal overlap of 4mm, so this would be an overjet.