Author Topic: I had DJS but I still look a bit recessed (pics included)  (Read 885 times)

dailydave

I had DJS but I still look a bit recessed (pics included)
« on: March 28, 2023, 06:22:49 AM »
I had DJS, 16mm total movement. I was offered revision genio with 2mm up and 3-4mm more forward movement. Do you guys think that could help?

https://ibb.co/GVGhFhs
https://ibb.co/0MQ0cVN
https://ibb.co/LNFJJfP

Tomasjohn

• Private
Re: I had DJS but I still look a bit recessed (pics included)
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2023, 06:55:00 AM »
If you think you need more projection then yes off course it  could be achieved with a genio.

But I think you look good from the side atm, however this is also my subjective opinion.

Maybe also add a frontal pic.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2023, 01:19:35 PM »
Your outcome reflects good aesthetic balance. Any proposed changes to the chin would be a matter of your own personal preference. The genio offered to you depends on whether you would ALSO like your chin a little shorter.

Keep in mind that what you call 'forward' is only the horizontal displacement of the genio offered to you. The genio offered has 2 displacement vectors; horizontal and vertical/ ( Chin displacement over a diagonal cut is always a combo of horizontal and vertical displacement.)

Your desire for more projection sounds to be limited to only the horizontal displacement vector of the genio. It would depend on whether or not you also wanted a little more vertical shortening to the chin in addition to horizontal projection.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

dailydave

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2023, 05:15:35 PM »
Your outcome reflects good aesthetic balance. Any proposed changes to the chin would be a matter of your own personal preference. The genio offered to you depends on whether you would ALSO like your chin a little shorter.

Keep in mind that what you call 'forward' is only the horizontal displacement of the genio offered to you. The genio offered has 2 displacement vectors; horizontal and vertical/ ( Chin displacement over a diagonal cut is always a combo of horizontal and vertical displacement.)

Your desire for more projection sounds to be limited to only the horizontal displacement vector of the genio. It would depend on whether or not you also wanted a little more vertical shortening to the chin in addition to horizontal projection.

Thank you very much. My main goal is to make my mandible appear less steep. Do you think that’s achievable with the proposed vertical shortening of the chin?

I’m a bit afraid that my mentolabial fold will end up being too deep as grafting is not planned. Do you think this can be an issue in my case?

Tomasjohn

• Private
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2023, 08:35:37 AM »
Thank you very much. My main goal is to make my mandible appear less steep. Do you think that’s achievable with the proposed vertical shortening of the chin?

I’m a bit afraid that my mentolabial fold will end up being too deep as grafting is not planned. Do you think this can be an issue in my case?

Mentolabial Fold: More acute? - yes definitely. So be prepared for this. But i would guess that it would not be necessarily to deep - depends on who is judging.

Steepness:
1. If you would draw a straight line from the gonial angle to the tip of the chin, yes it would be less steep.
2. But because you only target the chin there will be a step-off between the steep mandibular border and the diagonal upward shifted chin.
3. With line (1) we just connect two landmarks and with line (2) we would draw a line along the edge of the mandibular border.
4. It is difficult to say how your perceived issue with steepness would improve. My guess it would not be significant.

What exactly is bothering you, how you look from the side or also from the front? What aspect exactly?

« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 08:47:27 AM by Tomasjohn »

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2023, 09:57:59 PM »

The genio proposed would help mandible appear less steep and could deepen the groove between the lips and chin somewhat.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2023, 03:39:25 PM »
Mentolabial Fold: More acute? - yes definitely. So be prepared for this. But i would guess that it would not be necessarily to deep - depends on who is judging.

Steepness:
1. If you would draw a straight line from the gonial angle to the tip of the chin, yes it would be less steep.
2. But because you only target the chin there will be a step-off between the steep mandibular border and the diagonal upward shifted chin.
3. With line (1) we just connect two landmarks and with line (2) we would draw a line along the edge of the mandibular border.
4. It is difficult to say how your perceived issue with steepness would improve. My guess it would not be significant.

What exactly is bothering you, how you look from the side or also from the front? What aspect exactly?

excellent response to think in geometrical terms