Author Topic: What are your thoughts on the Inverted L Osteotomy?  (Read 690 times)

Dex1816

What are your thoughts on the Inverted L Osteotomy?
« on: July 09, 2023, 05:02:44 AM »
Hi,

I was wondering what peoples thoughts were here on the Inverted L Osteotomy?

While I’m yet to get my scans back yet, I know from my research and consultations thus far that I’ll ultimately require both jaws advanced with counter-clockwise rotation; my bite is class one with both jaws being recessed — a classic sleep-apnea profile (I’m yet to have a sleep study to determine if this is a particular concern for me, though I guess it likely will be in the future if not now [I’m a 26yo male] ).

One of my chief concerns was the counter-clockwise rotation. I don’t know to what extent this sentiment is true, but I’ve heard several times on reddit and different forums that there are a lot of limitations in this regard (depending on the surgeon). Apparently, some surgeons don’t use enough graft material or don’t plan in a certain way, resulting in somewhat of an incomplete rotation. I’d hate to be to have gone through all of this and then find out that I should’ve actually had more rotation. I’ve heard LACOMS are considered a safe bet for providing enough CCW rotation, but they’re also very expensive.

I watched this presentation which discussed the benefits of the Inverted L Osteotomy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AURtesahgE

Forgive me if I’m wrong, but it seems to suggest that the usual limitations in CCW rotation + BSSO can be mitigated by instead using the Inverted L. This also has the benefit of augmenting the ramus, which, having a reasonably high mandibular plane angle myself, would be very advantageous (as I’ve been considering implants or chin wing).

I’d be interested to hear peoples thoughts on this. Perhaps you can fill some gaps in my understanding or cooberate this idea.

Thanks!  :)