Author Topic: Need guidance for bimax!  (Read 1311 times)

SV123

Need guidance for bimax!
« on: August 28, 2023, 05:35:28 PM »
Hi all,

New user here. I do not know much about the technical terminology for describing faces but I'll try my best.

I would like to correct a couple of things in my lower third. I would like to elongate my face since I always find that whenever I suck in my cheeks my face looks 10x better. My chin is asymmetrical to the right so hopefully that's corrected with bimax. I also have a philtrum bulge as my upper lip protrudes further than my upper teeth, which is think comes from braces forcing that area forward for over a year.

Here's my photos: https://imgur.com/a/Gxq3CjR

Advice on advancements needed alongside any other recommended surgeries would be great!

GJ

• Administrator
Re: Need guidance for bimax!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2023, 05:57:48 PM »
How's your bite? Have you found someone that said you need surgery?

I agree you might benefit from a linear or CW movement if you do in fact need surgery. You should get some more records, though, and post those.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

SV123

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2023, 06:06:58 PM »
How's your bite? Have you found someone that said you need surgery?

I agree you might benefit from a linear or CW movement if you do in fact need surgery. You should get some more records, though, and post those.

My bite is aligned and teeth are straight since I've had braces. I think I might have the case of both mandible and maxilla being recessed at the same time giving perfect bite but I don't have scans to prove that.

I had a consult with Dr Conceancig and he said bimax would probably be suitable just by inspecting my face.

Do you think I have a case of short face syndrome?

SV123

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2023, 03:16:32 AM »
Here is my scan for anyone interested: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1BgOC924RyYhlRiYilWgedpZA7fmdn5gA?usp=sharing

You need to click the programs to view after downloading.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2023, 10:03:47 AM »
Dropping your jaw and sucking in your cheeks won't mimic outcomes of surgery. So, doing that in front of the mirror can't be relied on as to how you will look in the mirror subsequent to maxfax surgery. Sucking in the cheeks sucks in the buccal fat pad which, in turn, accentuates the cheek bones. Maxfax surgery doesn't do that. Also, doing that in front of mirror moves ONLY the lower jaw and although you are not looking at the LARGE SPACE between your upper and lower teeth while doing that, that's what is going on inside your mouth while doing that. So, I would disband with any expectation you might have of surgery kicking up that particular desired result.

When the bite is 'made right' by prior ortho, it's usually UNDONE in preparation for surgery. This is called 'decompensation' which can resolve to TIME in braces to prepare for what ever movements are to be made in surgery for the jaws to line up in more favorable position and also for the bite to mesh.

Elongating the lower '1/3rd' of the face can involve a graft to the entire maxilla. The NET rotation of the graft can be either net CCW or net CW or even NET rotation of 0 if the graft is uniform vertical length to the entire maxilla. So, a graft to the entire maxilla can elongate the lower 1/3rd. Further adjustments to elongate could/would involve a type of genioplasty that goes 'down and out' (diagonally downward). Since a GAP is left via that type of genio, a bone buttress (another  graft) is sandwiched inbetween the cut segment of the chin and the part of chin the segment was cut from. Technically speaking that type of elongation is actually done to the 'middle' 1/3d of the face but the increase in length is seen to the lower 1/3rd.

The best candidates for an elongation graft to the entire maxilla are people who can be described as having 'short face' and/or 'short chin' and ALSO have LACK OF upper TOOTH SHOW. Basically, if they have a VERTICALLY SHORT maxilla and that is found as the main reason they have short face, LACK OF UPPER TOOTH SHOW also exists. For example, IF someone had plenty of upper front tooth show, vertical elongation would kick up a gummy smile and excess tooth show. Hence lack of upper tooth show needs to be an indicator. This concept also applies to an isolated graft to the anterior maxilla (CW-r), lack of upper tooth show would need to be part of the problem set.

'Short face' is basically a vertically short maxilla and you could get some idea if you had that by SMILING in the mirror and seeing very little tooth show. Some people, have a vertically short mandible and elect to elongate that way by either jaw implants with a 'drop down' or 'chin wings' with a bone graft to 'drop down' the lower border of the mandible including the chin.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

SV123

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2023, 07:25:53 PM »
Dropping your jaw and sucking in your cheeks won't mimic outcomes of surgery. So, doing that in front of the mirror can't be relied on as to how you will look in the mirror subsequent to maxfax surgery. Sucking in the cheeks sucks in the buccal fat pad which, in turn, accentuates the cheek bones. Maxfax surgery doesn't do that. Also, doing that in front of mirror moves ONLY the lower jaw and although you are not looking at the LARGE SPACE between your upper and lower teeth while doing that, that's what is going on inside your mouth while doing that. So, I would disband with any expectation you might have of surgery kicking up that particular desired result.

When the bite is 'made right' by prior ortho, it's usually UNDONE in preparation for surgery. This is called 'decompensation' which can resolve to TIME in braces to prepare for what ever movements are to be made in surgery for the jaws to line up in more favorable position and also for the bite to mesh.

Elongating the lower '1/3rd' of the face can involve a graft to the entire maxilla. The NET rotation of the graft can be either net CCW or net CW or even NET rotation of 0 if the graft is uniform vertical length to the entire maxilla. So, a graft to the entire maxilla can elongate the lower 1/3rd. Further adjustments to elongate could/would involve a type of genioplasty that goes 'down and out' (diagonally downward). Since a GAP is left via that type of genio, a bone buttress (another  graft) is sandwiched inbetween the cut segment of the chin and the part of chin the segment was cut from. Technically speaking that type of elongation is actually done to the 'middle' 1/3d of the face but the increase in length is seen to the lower 1/3rd.

The best candidates for an elongation graft to the entire maxilla are people who can be described as having 'short face' and/or 'short chin' and ALSO have LACK OF upper TOOTH SHOW. Basically, if they have a VERTICALLY SHORT maxilla and that is found as the main reason they have short face, LACK OF UPPER TOOTH SHOW also exists. For example, IF someone had plenty of upper front tooth show, vertical elongation would kick up a gummy smile and excess tooth show. Hence lack of upper tooth show needs to be an indicator. This concept also applies to an isolated graft to the anterior maxilla (CW-r), lack of upper tooth show would need to be part of the problem set.

'Short face' is basically a vertically short maxilla and you could get some idea if you had that by SMILING in the mirror and seeing very little tooth show. Some people, have a vertically short mandible and elect to elongate that way by either jaw implants with a 'drop down' or 'chin wings' with a bone graft to 'drop down' the lower border of the mandible including the chin.

Hi kavan,

I appreciate the detailed response. Yes in regards to the sucking in cheek look I know it makes face look artificially leaner but I just wanted to see how my face looks a bit longer with no asymmetry. 

Here's a pic of my smile: https://imgur.com/b2fLOIs

You can see very little teeth show in general with lower teeth not showing at all. So, if I am understanding your explanation right, I can afford vertical elongation of maxilla without a gummy smile forming.

Regarding the braces, I believe many surgeons in Europe offer the 'surgery-first' approach. It would be very inconvenient to have to wear braces BEFORE and AFTER the surgery  :-\

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2023, 10:32:00 AM »
Hi kavan,

I appreciate the detailed response. Yes in regards to the sucking in cheek look I know it makes face look artificially leaner but I just wanted to see how my face looks a bit longer with no asymmetry. 

Here's a pic of my smile: https://imgur.com/b2fLOIs

You can see very little teeth show in general with lower teeth not showing at all. So, if I am understanding your explanation right, I can afford vertical elongation of maxilla without a gummy smile forming.

Regarding the braces, I believe many surgeons in Europe offer the 'surgery-first' approach. It would be very inconvenient to have to wear braces BEFORE and AFTER the surgery  :-\

IGUR links often disappear when I try to look at them. No idea why.

Anyway, lack of UPPER tooth show is salient factor to justify elongation graft to the maxilla. Lack of LOWER tooth show is considered a GOOD thing.The limiting factor as to how much elongation one can get to the maxilla is the limit of acceptable/normal gum show that would result.

In Europe, yes there are surgeons who do the surgery first method. (The method could also be called; 'ortho LAST'). Candidacy for that is in cooperation with an orthodontist who is conversant in that method and in contact with the surgeon. Basically, with surgery first method, it first has to be determined if the ortho can meet the requirements of where the teeth should be after the surgery is performed. So, if you want to know if you are candidate for that method, you would need to consult with one of the surgeons in Europe who does it. I would not be looking in Australia for it.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.