Author Topic: Surgeon in Virginia?  (Read 432 times)

Talos123

Surgeon in Virginia?
« on: October 28, 2023, 02:21:35 PM »
I'm going to have a consultation with the Virginia Advanced Surgical Arts but that's only really because they were mentioned positively on a subreddit post about decent Jaw Surgeon in Virginia. Can anyone here tell me if they have experience with them or another surgeon in the Virginia area?

Beyond that I was wondering if you guys had any tips for how to evaluate a surgeon and how to decide on one, how many consultations to go to, etc.

Further how much of a difference is there in results between various surgeons? I really like Derek Steinbacher looking at his results but he's a good deal away in Connecticut. Is it worth it to deal with the long travel distance for consultations, surgery and other parts of the process or will an accredited local surgeon give similar results as a more well known surgeon?

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: Surgeon in Virginia?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2023, 04:01:32 PM »
I've looked at your prior history and some of your questions were addressed. In the event others wish to look at your photos, I've included the link where your photos can be found:
https://jawsurgeryforums.com/index.php/topic,8570.msg79331.html#msg79331

From your photos (in link provided), it looks like you are a candidate for double jaw surgery to balance the jaws and of course so the bite is right. You may also be a candidate for genio revision during the surgery since your chin is in a backwards and down position even though you had prior genio. The most likely reason for that is that your lower jaw was recessed and genios don't compensate for lower jaw recession. You also have some asymmetry. If it's from the upper jaw, they can make it less (mitigate unevenness) via the Lefort 1 surgery to the upper jaw. If you have not already had the lower wisdom teeth removed, it is highly likely you will need them removed prior to a double jaw surgery.

Asymmetry combined with possible chin revision which would need to be addressed during a double jaw surgery would veer in the direction of a more experienced surgeon as opposed to a 'who knows who' guy in some random area. So, it can't be said that some 'who knows who' guy in some random area will kick up equal results as a surgeon who is KNOWN and known (well at least here) for being experienced.

In general, 3 consults are a good goal for seeking different proposals. However, you would need to have more understanding than you presently have to make a good choice. Other than that, look for a surgeon who will give you a VISUAL PROPOSAL that shows you a CHANGE IN CONTOUR of the PROFILE. The visual proposal may come with a 'read out' of all the displacements (movements of the jaws). So, even if you don't understand the technical numbers and angles associated with the proposed displacements, you should at least be in the capacity to look at a CONTOUR DIAGRAM of a changed profile on which you could make your decision.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.