Author Topic: Surgical Plan  (Read 1359 times)

SV123

Surgical Plan
« on: December 08, 2023, 10:23:36 PM »
Hi,

Just wanted people's opinions on this surgical plan that I have been given.

I am getting around 4.3mm LF1 with 13mm of total advancement. I have minor case of SFS so am getting anterior down grafting, but more posterior down grafting alongside it so it would be an overall CCWr.

SV123

Re: Surgical Plan
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2023, 10:31:29 PM »
The surgeon told me that there is a risk of a posterior gummy smile forming for my case and that I would need another surgery (I believe a soft tissue surgery) to correct. How much of a aesthetic detriment would this be? At this stage I have only minor teeth show when smiling.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2023, 03:29:21 PM »
I think it has to do with the 'sacrifice' (or trade-off) someone with short face and recession needs to make to have the CCW-r posterior down graft  in order to maximize the advancement of the lower jaw. So, sounds like the trade off  posterior part of the down graft will be more gum show in back. The soft tissue surgery would involve removing gum tissue. That would tend to expose the roots of the teeth. Not sure but maybe they put some bonding material over the exposed roots to protect them. Anyway, the surgeon is suggesting gum removal to expose more teeth and suggesting it to OFFSET the aesthetic detriment of too much posterior gum show.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2023, 08:02:47 AM »
Maybe you should get less CCW rotation so you don't have to have your gums removed?

Probably just a little less rotation in the jaw and moving that to the chin would rule out the need to remove your gums (not a good idea). It sounds like a second opinion is in order. Ask another surgeon about this, and they should also be able to tell you if you'll have a posterior gummy smile or not. Even if you go with the current plan and develop a posterior gummy smile - that's probably better than removing your gums. Gum issues are a can of worms that you don't want to open.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

SV123

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2023, 01:22:44 AM »
I think it has to do with the 'sacrifice' (or trade-off) someone with short face and recession needs to make to have the CCW-r posterior down graft  in order to maximize the advancement of the lower jaw. So, sounds like the trade off  posterior part of the down graft will be more gum show in back. The soft tissue surgery would involve removing gum tissue. That would tend to expose the roots of the teeth. Not sure but maybe they put some bonding material over the exposed roots to protect them. Anyway, the surgeon is suggesting gum removal to expose more teeth and suggesting it to OFFSET the aesthetic detriment of too much posterior gum show.

Yes I understand this. In your opinion, would having more posterior gumshow be worth it given the maximum advancement of the mandible that CCWr allows? I am not sure if my smile would even worsen with the gum show as at the moment I barely have any teeth show so my smile is already pretty horrendous to be honest.

SV123

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2023, 01:31:58 AM »
Maybe you should get less CCW rotation so you don't have to have your gums removed?

Probably just a little less rotation in the jaw and moving that to the chin would rule out the need to remove your gums (not a good idea). It sounds like a second opinion is in order. Ask another surgeon about this, and they should also be able to tell you if you'll have a posterior gummy smile or not. Even if you go with the current plan and develop a posterior gummy smile - that's probably better than removing your gums. Gum issues are a can of worms that you don't want to open.

Thank you for the response. From what I understand, the CCWr is being done to achieve enough mandible advancement to make bimax worthwhile as I am getting surgery-first despite my overbite being compensated so I cannot just get a linear advancement.

From the images I have seen, a posterior gummy smile is still aesthetically more pleasing than a short-face smile. Right now my issue is a lack of teeth show, pretty much like this: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/M3b-DxdWoNI/maxresdefault.jpg

My main concern is regarding the change in the occlusal plane that might be negative in the after. I don't think negative occlusal planes even naturally exist. Is this what might lead to a posterior gummy smile, and are there any other aesthetic downsides to this?

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2023, 10:28:57 AM »
Yes I understand this. In your opinion, would having more posterior gumshow be worth it given the maximum advancement of the mandible that CCWr allows? I am not sure if my smile would even worsen with the gum show as at the moment I barely have any teeth show so my smile is already pretty horrendous to be honest.

You are asking a type of question where it seems you are seeking CERTAINTY in the venue of knowing what the outcome will be before you make a decision. No one here can know that ('be sure') for you. The decision to be made is a decision under UNCERTAINTY. So, we look at it in terms of what is MORE PROBABLE and more desired vs the potential tradeoffs of getting the thing you desire MORE.

Basically, it's more probable that you will get the jaw advancement maximized (which is what you desire) if you accept the potential risk (trade-off) of more posterior gum show with that. The potential trade-off comes with the option of addressing it via the gum removal for more tooth show and is offered as a contingency plan. So for more 'surety' the contingency plan should be explored further with your doctor as to root exposure of teeth by the gum removal.

The TRADE-OFF is that in exchange of getting the maximum advancement, you get some posterior gum show with the smile and if the gum show is too much, they can remove some gum tissue to make it less. The doctor gave a contingency plan IF there is too much posterior gum show which is gum tissue removal. The 'if' = maybe there will  be, maybe there wont be too much. the sure thing is the advancement you want maximized. So, the decision is one of uncertainty but in favor of risking the tradeoff of some extra gum show.

Now that you have information that extra gum show COULD be a TRADEOFF and also have the later option of gum tissue removal to address that potential tradeoff, you should ask the doctor if that will expose too much root of tooth and if so, can something be put over the roots to protect the non enamel exposure if that happens.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2023, 04:26:20 PM »
Thank you for the response. From what I understand, the CCWr is being done to achieve enough mandible advancement to make bimax worthwhile as I am getting surgery-first despite my overbite being compensated so I cannot just get a linear advancement.

From the images I have seen, a posterior gummy smile is still aesthetically more pleasing than a short-face smile. Right now my issue is a lack of teeth show, pretty much like this: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/M3b-DxdWoNI/maxresdefault.jpg

My main concern is regarding the change in the occlusal plane that might be negative in the after. I don't think negative occlusal planes even naturally exist. Is this what might lead to a posterior gummy smile, and are there any other aesthetic downsides to this?

Assuming that the CCW-r is a via a POSTERIOR DOWNGRAFT, the fundamental relationship is that BOTH posterior tooth and/or gum show AND extent of lower jaw advancement are direct functions of the extent of the posterior down graft. So if one quantity increases the other one automatically increases also. Not necessarily by the 'same amount' though. CCW-r via posterior downgraft DROPS DOWN the posterior maxilla. So, the tooth/gum bearing part of the posterior maxilla is lowered in that process (and hence show more).

Rotations in maxfax planning/surgery are based on elementary and fundamental geometrical concepts, in particular, the rotation of a TRIANGLE, one formed by 3 bony landmarks to the upper and lower jaw complex and a selected rotation point. This triangle has 2 upper vertexes, an anterior one and a posterior one and a lower vertex below the upper ones. A rotation point either at the upper anterior vertex or slightly below it will rotate the triangle so that the (upper) posterior vertex goes downward and the lower vertex goes forward. To grasp this concept, construct a triangle, rotate it ccw-r around the fixed point mentioned here and observe the displacement of the lower vertex relative to where it was before you rotated it. The salient observation to be made is that the EXTENT of the ccw rotation (near the upper anterior vertex) is directly proportional to the extent of the upper posterior vertex being lowered and also directly proportional to the extent the lower vertex is advanced forward. Point here is that some basis is these fundamental relationships is needed to understand those in maxfax displacement planning that are based in these types of fundamental relationships.

Now to build on the above concept of a TRIANGLE is constructed by 3 bony landmarks as mentioned above, the occlusal plane will be within (inside) the triangle and will also rotate in accordance to the extent of the rotation taking place. Inside the triangle the OP has direction of downward and outward 'slope' and this slope will have an angle of inclination relative to say a horizontal line. So, the ccw-r will decrease its slope/angle of inclination. When inclination decreases to 0 deg from horizont, it's basically flat OP. (Any OP that is less than the norm of about 4 degrees can be considered a 'flat' one.) Any decrease that sets the slope in opposite direction of its original slope/angle of inclination will be a negative OP. Aside from whether or not a negative OP exists in nature, a rotation to the extent that would result in a negative OP would be 'pushing the envelope' in order to MAX OUT the advancement of the lower jaw. I've heard of one surgeon doing this. But concerns about having a negative OP are neither here or there in the absence of knowing what your OP actually is and how many degrees it will be disinclined.

So, as to your question of whether or not excess posterior gum show results from a negative OP, it doesn't mean that the surgeon is going to give you a negative OP. Like you can't assume the likelihood of excess posterior gum show is 'because' the OP is going to be negative. The excess and how much will be a function of the extent of ccw-r via posterior downgrafting used to maximize the extent the lower jaw can be advanced out. The more the ccw-r is, the more the lower jaw can be advanced and the more your jaw is advanced via the CCW-r, the more posterior gum show will follow. Maximizing lower jaw advancement is a FUNCTION of the extent of CCW-r. But so is excess posterior gum show. Hence the trade-off of maximizing jaw advancement via CCW-r can be excess posterior gum show. It is a matter of what thing you want to TRADE IN for the other. A decrease in the CCW-r will decrease the amount of lower jaw advancement you can get and also decrease the amount of potential excess gum show. Your surgeon is conveying this FUNCTIONAL relationship to you when he tells you he can maximize your lower jaw advancement via ccw-r but you would need to accept the excess posterior gum show in X-change.

Those are the basic concepts to grasp. The rest is a multi-factorial mathematical calculation based on quite a number of possible displacements relative to aesthetic norms and function which are done via a high tech displacement design program.

SV123

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2023, 04:42:47 PM »
Assuming that the CCW-r is a via a POSTERIOR DOWNGRAFT, the fundamental relationship is that BOTH posterior tooth and/or gum show AND extent of lower jaw advancement are direct functions of the extent of the posterior down graft. So if one quantity increases the other one automatically increases also. Not necessarily by the 'same amount' though. CCW-r via posterior downgraft DROPS DOWN the posterior maxilla. So, the tooth/gum bearing part of the posterior maxilla is lowered in that process (and hence show more).

Rotations in maxfax planning/surgery are based on elementary and fundamental geometrical concepts, in particular, the rotation of a TRIANGLE, one formed by 3 bony landmarks to the upper and lower jaw complex and a selected rotation point. This triangle has 2 upper vertexes, an anterior one and a posterior one and a lower vertex below the upper ones. A rotation point either at the upper anterior vertex or slightly below it will rotate the triangle so that the (upper) posterior vertex goes downward and the lower vertex goes forward. To grasp this concept, construct a triangle, rotate it ccw-r around the fixed point mentioned here and observe the displacement of the lower vertex relative to where it was before you rotated it. The salient observation to be made is that the EXTENT of the ccw rotation (near the upper anterior vertex) is directly proportional to the extent of the upper posterior vertex being lowered and also directly proportional to the extent the lower vertex is advanced forward. Point here is that some basis is these fundamental relationships is needed to understand those in maxfax displacement planning that are based in these types of fundamental relationships.

Now to build on the above concept of a TRIANGLE is constructed by 3 bony landmarks as mentioned above, the occlusal plane will be within (inside) the triangle and will also rotate in accordance to the extent of the rotation taking place. Inside the triangle the OP has direction of downward and outward 'slope' and this slope will have an angle of inclination relative to say a horizontal line. So, the ccw-r will decrease its slope/angle of inclination. When inclination decreases to 0 deg from horizont, it's basically flat OP. (Any OP that is less than the norm of about 4 degrees can be considered a 'flat' one.) Any decrease that sets the slope in opposite direction of its original slope/angle of inclination will be a negative OP. Aside from whether or not a negative OP exists in nature, a rotation to the extent that would result in a negative OP would be 'pushing the envelope' in order to MAX OUT the advancement of the lower jaw. I've heard of one surgeon doing this. But concerns about having a negative OP are neither here or there in the absence of knowing what your OP actually is and how many degrees it will be disinclined.

So, as to your question of whether or not excess posterior gum show results from a negative OP, it doesn't mean that the surgeon is going to give you a negative OP. Like you can't assume the likelihood of excess posterior gum show is 'because' the OP is going to be negative. The excess and how much will be a function of the extent of ccw-r via posterior downgrafting used to maximize the extent the lower jaw can be advanced out. The more the ccw-r is, the more the lower jaw can be advanced and the more your jaw is advanced via the CCW-r, the more posterior gum show will follow. Maximizing lower jaw advancement is a FUNCTION of the extent of CCW-r. But so is excess posterior gum show. Hence the trade-off of maximizing jaw advancement via CCW-r can be excess posterior gum show. It is a matter of what thing you want to TRADE IN for the other. A decrease in the CCW-r will decrease the amount of lower jaw advancement you can get and also decrease the amount of potential excess gum show. Your surgeon is conveying this FUNCTIONAL relationship to you when he tells you he can maximize your lower jaw advancement via ccw-r but you would need to accept the excess posterior gum show in X-change.

Those are the basic concepts to grasp. The rest is a multi-factorial mathematical calculation based on quite a number of possible displacements relative to aesthetic norms and function which are done via a high tech displacement design program.

Thank you for the super detailed response. I will be getting both downgrafts, no impaction, for my bimax.

It now makes sense that posterior gum show is related to extent of CCWr relative to original OP rather than whether the OP is negative or not.

I am looking for maximum lower jaw advancement for aesthetic purposes and I am sure my surgeon understands this which is why he gave me this plan.

By the way, I had a look back at my recording of my appointment with my surgeon, and attached another image of my scan showing the occlusal plane angle which is -2.52 degrees. The red line representing this is tilted downwards so I am not sure whether the OP is negative or not.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2024, 03:15:36 PM »
Thank you for the super detailed response. I will be getting both downgrafts, no impaction, for my bimax.

It now makes sense that posterior gum show is related to extent of CCWr relative to original OP rather than whether the OP is negative or not.

I am looking for maximum lower jaw advancement for aesthetic purposes and I am sure my surgeon understands this which is why he gave me this plan.

By the way, I had a look back at my recording of my appointment with my surgeon, and attached another image of my scan showing the occlusal plane angle which is -2.52 degrees. The red line representing this is tilted downwards so I am not sure whether the OP is negative or not.

approx 2.5 degrees is the angle formed by the red line and the horizontal blue line above it. But since the red line is still a downward diagonal relative to the blue horizontal line, it's not the type of 'negative' OP you were concerned about which would be an OP that went in the opposite direction (upward diagonal) relative to a horizontal line.  In terms of math, where a downward diagonal on an (x,y) graph is a negative slope the negative sign in front of the angle is correct. However, since a downward diagonal on a graph is technically a negative slope but just about everyone's OP is on a downward diagonal, of course, I did not assume you were worried about having an OP that was on a downward diagonal. lol.