Author Topic: Decompression of teeth  (Read 1168 times)

Optimistic

• I am class I
Decompression of teeth
« on: August 25, 2013, 04:00:17 PM »
In my case I have an open bite where the teeth have been angled forwards to compensate for that can give something of an occlusion. Will decompression (moving the teeth to a more straight position I believe) have any kind of aesthetic affect on say the angles at which my upper and lower lips protrude? Or just any aesthetic change at all?
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

Lazlo

• Private
Re: Decompression of teeth
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 12:26:07 AM »
In my case I have an open bite where the teeth have been angled forwards to compensate for that can give something of an occlusion. Will decompression (moving the teeth to a more straight position I believe) have any kind of aesthetic affect on say the angles at which my upper and lower lips protrude? Or just any aesthetic change at all?

yes, bigtime, it will give you less lip support if your teeth are moved down straight if they were previously more forward and flared. But if they're not being retracted i.e. there are no extractions so the teeth aren't all being moved back to fill a gap the change shouldn't be too noticeable. You'd have to provide pics for us to give you an real assessment.

Optimistic

• I am class I
Re: Decompression of teeth
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 01:24:42 AM »
Thanks for that. I figured as much as what you've said, though it's always good to know for sure. I'll be seeing an orthodontist in a month's time so I'll be able to know for sure whether I need extractions or anything, although at this stage I sort of doubt it.

What do you mean by "lip support" too? I know about lip incompetence, so do you mean to say the upper lip could droop down more?
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.