Author Topic: Does head posture matter when taking CT scan to determine OP?  (Read 118 times)

SV123

So I got my CT scan laying down on my back and my surgeon has devised a plan based on that. From the plan, my OP is apparently quite flat at -3 degrees, so I can only get CCWr for 1 degree changing the OP to -2 degrees which probably won't make much of an aesthetic difference.

I was wondering whether having a CT laying down would have affected the OP measurement in my surgeon's software?

Also, the way that this new surgeon measures the OP is quite different to how the previous surgeon measured the OP. I have attached the previous surgeon's plan for reference. This OP is being measured from the top back teeth to the bottom front teeth, making it larger than the OP measured by my current surgeon that is measured only along the bottom teeth. If I remember correctly, my current OP, based on the previous surgeon's software, was -7 degrees but based on the current surgeon's software it is -3 degrees.

I wonder what the reason for the discrepancy is? Are there different methods of measuring the OP that different surgeons follow?

Thanks

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: Does head posture matter when taking CT scan to determine OP?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2024, 11:28:31 AM »
So I got my CT scan laying down on my back and my surgeon has devised a plan based on that. From the plan, my OP is apparently quite flat at -3 degrees, so I can only get CCWr for 1 degree changing the OP to -2 degrees which probably won't make much of an aesthetic difference.

I was wondering whether having a CT laying down would have affected the OP measurement in my surgeon's software?

Also, the way that this new surgeon measures the OP is quite different to how the previous surgeon measured the OP. I have attached the previous surgeon's plan for reference. This OP is being measured from the top back teeth to the bottom front teeth, making it larger than the OP measured by my current surgeon that is measured only along the bottom teeth. If I remember correctly, my current OP, based on the previous surgeon's software, was -7 degrees but based on the current surgeon's software it is -3 degrees.

I wonder what the reason for the discrepancy is? Are there different methods of measuring the OP that different surgeons follow?

Thanks

Question can't be answered as asked.

Apples to INVISIBLE oranges. You're asking a question about plan comparison when only one plan is visible and you confuse 'top' with 'bottom'regarding a line that basically passes through or close through the bottom of both the front and back teeth.

What I can tell you about the VISIBLE plan is it says it is the angle measure of the MAXillary OP and what it is planned to be AFTER a surgery aimed at elongating the entire lower '1/3rd' via an overall 'drop down' of the entire maxilla where the drop down is MORE posteriorly than anteriorly meaning a NET CCW-r.

Your verbal descriptions as to what you OBSERVE on the visible plan don't make sense to me. You describe the line passing closely through the BOTTOM of BOTH the back and the front teeth (of the maxilla) as passing through the 'TOP' of the back teeth and the bottom of the front teeth.

Your description/assessment of how the prior surgeon measured it makes no sense to me either. Even though you confused the top with the bottom with reference to the back 3rd molar (wisdom tooth), just because the line basically passes through the bottom of the back 3rd molar and the bottom of the front incisor doesn't mean the surgeon used the bottom of back 3rd molar as reference point. The reference points for OP measure are on front incisor and 1rst molar. So, if you look closely, you will see a very faint pink dot at bottom of central incisor and also a very faint pink dot on the first molar. Those were the 2 points he used.

It's possible you have 2 different occlusal planes that don't MERGE into one OP and one surgeon measured the maxillary OP and the other the mandibular OP. For example people with an anterior open bite have 2 OPs; max and mandible.

Starting off with a - (negative) 7 degree OP? New one on me. Never knew that was even possible.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.