Author Topic: Forward Head Posture  (Read 79974 times)

Kristen

• Private
Forward Head Posture
« on: June 17, 2012, 06:38:28 PM »
Anyone with recessed mandible or maxilla also suffer from forward head posture?   This is the body's way to compensate for less airway space.    Does the neck return to a normal position after jaw surgery or is this a permanent  side effect from years of jaws being in the wrong positions?

Marisama

• Private
Re: Forward Head Posture
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 07:00:11 PM »
Great question.  I've always wondered the same thing.

trigeminalneuralgia

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 08:13:32 PM »
I definitely don't think that would improve on its own. You have to correct this with treating the kyphosis and diaphragmatic breathing and strengthening your longus coli muscles/chin tucks...lower traps and then stretching any areas in the exact opposite position you hold your body in...

Also yeah hyper lordosis I think you just treat by strengthening your core and stomache.  I know I CAN be fhp and hyperkyphotic and lordotic.  I just have to self monitor it a lot more than the average person bc im so lax

stupidjaws

• CFO
  • The panic the vomit the yuppies networking
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 09:45:19 PM »
Interesting!

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 10:29:13 PM »
Anyone with recessed mandible or maxilla also suffer from forward head posture?   This is the body's way to compensate for less airway space.    Does the neck return to a normal position after jaw surgery or is this a permanent  side effect from years of jaws being in the wrong positions?

Not in my case. I had/have this problem, but always felt that computer work was the culprit. Straightening my posture was a simpler fix before surgery with exercise, mostly anaerobic. My case is unique (lower advancement), but post surgery my jaw muscles are now torqued on the right, pulling my cervical spine out of alignment, so I have to be careful with my exercise choices, so that I don't trigger a wave of muscle spasms from my neck to my eye.

BTW, I noticed that my siblings have the same issues. Both work long hours with computers. Just my observation.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 10:54:43 PM by neferkitti »

Cmonster

• Private
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 10:34:35 PM »
Interesting topic! I definitely lean forward more, Im sure most of it is poor posture due to years of being plastered in front of video/games computer... But I do have very serious neck issues and yeah tilt my head
We have to continually be jumping off cliffs and developing our wings on the way down.

Kristen

• Private
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 06:03:09 AM »
The problem is when the neck is straightened the chin and mandible become/ look even more recessed.   Also the Adams apples  protrude more with people (males) with forward head posture.   I do agree that computer/ video games make this problem worse.   The predisposition to it begins with recessed jaws, mouth breathing/ tongue thrust and extractions of teeth.   One thing just feeds on another making everything worse.

treevernal

• Private
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 08:51:37 AM »
I actually plan on seeing a chiropractor a few months before and for a long time after jaw surgery to correct my forward head posture

trigeminalneuralgia

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 09:57:33 AM »
Not in my case. I had/have this problem, but always felt that computer work was the culprit. Straightening my posture was a simpler fix before surgery with exercise, mostly anaerobic. My case is unique (lower advancement), but post surgery my jaw muscles are now torqued on the right, pulling my cervical spine out of alignment, so I have to be careful with my exercise choices, so that I don't trigger a wave of muscle spasms from my neck to my eye.

oh weird!  i have major neck pain at the base of my head.  i do wonder how much of it is caused by my jaw muscles being too tight.  neck spasms are the WORST.  im considering muscle/nerve blocks to find out where the pain is coming from

trigeminalneuralgia

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 09:59:33 AM »
the sad thing is even if you correct your jaw your entire body has adapted to your poor breathing patterns.  so fixing one thing will not fix your body. it's a chain and youre just altering one part of the chain.

Kristen

• Private
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 11:31:08 AM »
That's what is so difficult and devastating with what we have to deal with.   Not only do you have to fix the jaws but also do myofunctional therapy,  neck and back therapy with exercises and medical massage.   Relearn the proper breathing etc.    Myofunctional therapy works towards resolving tongue thrust, open mouth posture, attaining nose breathing full time,  correct posture etc.    Most people with jaw issues don't have enough room in their mouths ideally for their tongues and not as much airway space.   This makes it so hard without the jaw surgery to do what others just do easily.

trigeminalneuralgia

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 03:40:48 PM »
You guys HOPEFULLY don't have this but in addition to an overcrowded small jaw I have an elevated rotated inverted rib cage.  I wonder if there an association in others as well....

Whoever designed me wanted me to have breathing problems.

Heavyweight

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 04:35:52 PM »
You guys HOPEFULLY don't have this but in addition to an overcrowded small jaw I have an elevated rotated inverted rib cage.  I wonder if there an association in others as well....

Whoever designed me wanted me to have breathing problems.

Oh s**t. I probably have that too.

Anyway, I do use a forward head posture. I actually think I look better with it because it makes my chin more visible. When I keep my neck and head straight, my chin blends right into my neck. I do intend to seek intervention if it doesn't go away after surgery.

Cmonster

• Private
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 06:16:04 PM »
Oh s**t. I probably have that too.

Anyway, I do use a forward head posture. I actually think I look better with it because it makes my chin more visible. When I keep my neck and head straight, my chin blends right into my neck. I do intend to seek intervention if it doesn't go away after surgery.

I second this as well, the moving the head forward makes me look like I have a chin... DANG YOU STUPID JAWS AND ALL THE PROBLEMS YOU HAVE CAUSED ME GRRRRR!!!!

With this problem I've been going to Physical therapy for the last 6-7 months and wow it helps dramatically with the neck/shoulders, back of my head and in relieving headaches/migraines?

Different subject, but is anyone here a sufferer of severe migraines? Im not sure if its jaw related but... wait wait wait.... WOW I just realized my grandma, my uncle and myself, all with jaw issues suffer from migraines- chance much?
We have to continually be jumping off cliffs and developing our wings on the way down.

streo

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 07:01:42 PM »
yes I have this problem quite a bit.  I've been getting a lot of alone time lately so I can relax and let my jaw hang the way it should and also let my neck and shoulders be the way they should. Kind of feels like walking around naked otherwise.