Author Topic: Forward Head Posture  (Read 79960 times)

trigeminalneuralgia

Re: Forward Head Posture
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2012, 07:28:10 PM »
Elevated ribs are really hard to describe but being inverted and rotated is easy

I can feel my sternum come to a point and my right side comes forward more ( from being right handed).  A geneticist actually pointed this out to me before I even noticed it

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2012, 10:16:06 PM »

oh weird!  i have major neck pain at the base of my head.  i do wonder how much of it is caused by my jaw muscles being too tight.  neck spasms are the WORST.  im considering muscle/nerve blocks to find out where the pain is coming from

Are you looking into getting permanent nerve blocks?

Yeah, it could be tight muscles pulling in your case. I went through a strange 1 year period where I had deep tissue tingling and pain down the side of my neck. That's now gone, but they have noted recently that my sternocleidomastoid muscle is now pulled further back on the neck. I thought it had atrophied, but it's still there. It's just in a different spot now. This was caused by powerful spasms from a displaced mandible. Oddly, I also have a dropped shoulder on the same side. The fun never ends  :D.

trigeminalneuralgia

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2012, 06:59:28 AM »
i need to read more about them but these would be temporary nerve blocks to find out where the pain is coming from, i believe they'd wear out in a few hours.  what gave me the idea was when i went to my dentist and got a novocaine injection on my left side, my neck pain went away for a few hours. 

i have a whiplash type injury to my brachial plexus on both sides, i did to myself from my neck muscles being SO weak.  my entire neck and shoulder used to be really lax, especially my shoulder.  i LONG for those days, now all my muscles are gridlocked, i think from irritating the nerves so much.  my scm muscle in particular used to be grid locked, i felt like i was choking.

the fun NEVER ends and the more i think about it, the more my head spins bc my body is pretty asymmetrical i feel..maybe my right side being so lax (my shoulder is winged) would effect my left side, maybe my tmj is causing my neck pain, maybe my elevated shoulder is causing my neck pain, maybe my loosey goosey pelvis is messing up my entire torso, and on and on *sigh*

trigeminalneuralgia

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2012, 05:41:27 AM »
I requested my neck xrays to see it just how straight my neck was....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000BMI4SW/ref=mp_s_a_2?qid=1340282381&sr=8-2

You can also the rest your head on^ To help restore the curve in your neck but I wouldn't do it if you're having spasms

trigeminalneuralgia

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2012, 08:01:35 AM »
i have those except too much neck rotation
i can post some self assessment stuff later...altho neck rotation is kind of obvious i would think you guys would know that

trigeminalneuralgia

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2012, 02:29:50 PM »
i have to plug this guys book so i thought id do it here..for anyone looking to get in shape/on computer too much

http://www.fitnesseducationseminars.com/corrective-exercise-strategies-book

you can get an e-copy for ten bucks

he talks about how hip and scapular instability and not breathing through your diaphragm can ruin your entire body.  i have seen all of this junk on the internet, been through several pts, and 99 percent of them are wrong and give you exercises that make you worse.

ive seen before and after pics of one of his clients.  its amazing!!

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2012, 02:46:30 PM »
i have to plug this guys book so i thought id do it here..for anyone looking to get in shape/on computer too much

http://www.fitnesseducationseminars.com/corrective-exercise-strategies-book

you can get an e-copy for ten bucks

he talks about how hip and scapular instability and not breathing through your diaphragm can ruin your entire body.  i have seen all of this junk on the internet, been through several pts, and 99 percent of them are wrong and give you exercises that make you worse.

ive seen before and after pics of one of his clients.  its amazing!!

Hey Trig, thanks! I think I may need this.

trigeminalneuralgia

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2012, 03:21:30 PM »
no problem   :)

it's geared towards pts but i think anyone could teach themselves the exercises in them.  he's on youtube too

http://www.fitnesseducationseminars.com/free-videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/fitnessseminars

trigeminalneuralgia

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2012, 03:23:26 PM »
the shoulder stuff is just so spot on.  if i had done traditional pt i would be disabled right now, no joke.

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2012, 03:37:59 PM »
the shoulder stuff is just so spot on.  if i had done traditional pt i would be disabled right now, no joke.

I'm going to try this one for the cervical spine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzKg0ri9VtA&feature=plcp

Trig, can you do yoga?

trigeminalneuralgia

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2012, 07:06:55 AM »
i do a few pilates moves every day..and i guess pilates is similar to yoga...mostly strengthening with only a tiny bit of stretching.  since im hypermobile, i do not know how to stretch.  i overdo everything.  do you do yoga?

i can post some pilates exercises here too, i have trouble gaining muscle and my stomach muscles transformed in two weeks doing these.  like i didnt have a transverse abdominus and obliques, i didnt even know that a muscle was supposed to be there and suddenly BAM there it was.  never doing crunches again, what a waste of time!!  i need to go back to doing all the exercises.  i just do the ones where my head is supported bc the base of my head is always in pain (hope its coming from my jaw)..

if my pt hadnt shown me how to do pilates and i tried them i couldve really effed my neck up even more.  any of this stuff, yoga too, can be dangerous.

i like the idea that yoga evan osar and pilates etc etc they keep stressing you need to be able to support your own body weight WITHOUT cheating..like in a quadraped position.  babies do this.  and grown adults can't?  sad state we're in!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 07:29:00 AM by trigeminalneuralgia »

trigeminalneuralgia

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2012, 07:42:35 AM »
dork alert, i scanned these in so i'd never lose them

i do 3 (with foot flexed..it's harder), 7 and toe taps (not pictured) every day
1 and 5 when my necks not tired

the roll up (2) is by far the hardest.  i never do that.  the rolling ones are kind of fun.

Krista

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2012, 08:10:03 AM »
I requested my neck xrays to see it just how straight my neck was....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000BMI4SW/ref=mp_s_a_2?qid=1340282381&sr=8-2

You can also the rest your head on^ To help restore the curve in your neck but I wouldn't do it if you're having spasms

I bought one for my son.   He loves it and uses it when on computer and playing video games.

trigeminalneuralgia

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2012, 11:12:35 AM »
you are a smart mommy!

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2012, 01:05:39 PM »
i do a few pilates moves every day..and i guess pilates is similar to yoga...mostly strengthening with only a tiny bit of stretching.  since im hypermobile, i do not know how to stretch.  i overdo everything.  do you do yoga?

i can post some pilates exercises here too, i have trouble gaining muscle and my stomach muscles transformed in two weeks doing these.  like i didnt have a transverse abdominus and obliques, i didnt even know that a muscle was supposed to be there and suddenly BAM there it was.  never doing crunches again, what a waste of time!!  i need to go back to doing all the exercises.  i just do the ones where my head is supported bc the base of my head is always in pain (hope its coming from my jaw)..

if my pt hadnt shown me how to do pilates and i tried them i couldve really effed my neck up even more.  any of this stuff, yoga too, can be dangerous.

i like the idea that yoga evan osar and pilates etc etc they keep stressing you need to be able to support your own body weight WITHOUT cheating..like in a quadraped position.  babies do this.  and grown adults can't?  sad state we're in!

I've never done Pilates but I gathered it was similar to yoga. I'll have to look into it. I love(d) yoga but have to be careful now since surgery. I agree, I can see the potential for injury if done half assed.  When feeling lazy, I was guilty of not following through some moves correctly. Having a good instructor close by is best for the potentially risky positions, IMO. At home, I like yoga on DVD. My longtime favorite is with Rodney Yee (http://www.amazon.com/Power-Yoga-Total-Body-Workout/dp/B0000A2ZQE/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top/180-7724110-8571734), though I tell friends/family to skip some moves like the inverted crab and full camel pose. The former is too hard on the wrists and both, I feel, dangerous to the cervical spine unless at an advanced training level. Potentially no head/neck support with these. That being said, this workout straightens me out and works pretty much every muscle group.

I saved your print out posted above. I think this is what I really need. Elongation of the spine feels good to me these days. Thanks for putting it up.