Author Topic: Re: Underbite Jaw surgery BEFORE  (Read 5359 times)

stevek216

Re: Underbite Jaw surgery BEFORE
« on: May 24, 2012, 03:54:01 PM »
Is your surgeon going to do a genioplasty also?  I needed one because he said my chin would actually look recessed after he moved it back (wouldn't that be a change of pace), but yours looks like it has that little upturn that most people have on their chin. 

perfetto8390

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 05:34:40 PM »
I think that he said a genioplasty would be a possibility. Im not too sure what the final plan is for surgery but hopefully I will find out soon.

CheezyGuy913

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 10:32:52 PM »
Exciting!! All you need is the right surgeon (and the go ahead from the Ortho). I was (weird now to say 'was' haha) a class 3 with a crossbite too. I'm only 2 weeks post surgery but I'm already excited about the results I'm seeing. Hang in there, I know the wait can feel like an eternity but that surgery date will get here before you know it!! You're pretty already, the surgery will just be icing on the aesthetics cake. ;D

Oh I just realized you have lingual braces....which makes me super jealous haha. Did the ortho/oral surgeon say they could do the surgery with the lingual 'behind the teeth' braces? When I started this journey I asked about the linguals but was told that since I needed (2) jaw surgeries that they weren't an option.

perfetto8390

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 06:56:06 AM »
@Cheezyguy913 I hope that your reovery is going well  :). I am trying to hang in there lol, but I am on summer break now and I am ready for this. I already have my oral surgeon, I am just waiting for my teeth to be in the correct positions to get the go ahead from my orthodontist to have surgery. I thought my teeth were perfectly straight, but with the stainless steel wire they put on my teeth are moving way out now :( . I do have lingual braces, which have made this journey a little bit easier in some aspects. They said that I can have surgery with the lingual braces, but they will cement the surgical hooks on the front of my teeth. There was also some talk of possibly putting regular braces on my back teeth, but I am not sure if that will be happening or not. What would you say is the hardest part of your recovery so far?

Kristen

• Private
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 04:21:09 PM »
Does anybody know what causes some people to have an underbite?   Or the reasons for your own underbites?

stevek216

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 08:05:24 PM »
It's genetic in root, but the actual problems are an underdeveloped maxillae, over-developed mandible, or pretty commonly both.

Kristen

• Private
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 08:13:35 PM »
You would think if the maxilla is underdeveloped than the mandible would also be underdeveloped.  I know one reason for underdeveloped upper jaws is mouth breathing.   

stevek216

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 12:14:14 AM »
Is that true?  I'd like to see where you read that, if you remember/can find it.  I know that a symptom of an underdeveloped maxillae is mouth breathing, because the nasal passages are narrower as a result.  I've never heard of mouth breathing causing the maxillae not to develop, though.  Most of this stuff is controlled on a genetic level and barring extreme conditions, like malnutrition or constant pushing/pulling, are sort of "fated" to be.

CheezyGuy913

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 06:39:24 PM »
@Cheezyguy913 I hope that your reovery is going well  :). I am trying to hang in there lol, but I am on summer break now and I am ready for this. I already have my oral surgeon, I am just waiting for my teeth to be in the correct positions to get the go ahead from my orthodontist to have surgery. I thought my teeth were perfectly straight, but with the stainless steel wire they put on my teeth are moving way out now :( . I do have lingual braces, which have made this journey a little bit easier in some aspects. They said that I can have surgery with the lingual braces, but they will cement the surgical hooks on the front of my teeth. There was also some talk of possibly putting regular braces on my back teeth, but I am not sure if that will be happening or not. What would you say is the hardest part of your recovery so far?

Wow thats great they can do that! Luckily the transition to social life with braces in my 20's hasn't been as ostracizing as I made it out to be in my head haha. The toughest part physically is definitely the diet for me. The first week I think my body had a mini-shut down while it adjusted to all liquid (plus the whole losing blood/major surgery impact). But if you keep up with the Ensure shakes, smoothies etc it'll become like any routine and you just do it. I'm just now getting into mashed potatoes, pasta and eggs (ah-mazing feeling to have 'real' food again...even if it takes three times as long to eat). So look at it from a positive aspect, you'll have a new love and appreciation for food once you come out the other side!  :)

Heavyweight

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 06:46:19 PM »
Is that true?  I'd like to see where you read that, if you remember/can find it.  I know that a symptom of an underdeveloped maxillae is mouth breathing, because the nasal passages are narrower as a result.  I've never heard of mouth breathing causing the maxillae not to develop, though.  Most of this stuff is controlled on a genetic level and barring extreme conditions, like malnutrition or constant pushing/pulling, are sort of "fated" to be.

Mouth breathing appears to cause improper maxillary growth. Essentially, in a normal person, the tongue rests on the palate, forcing the maxilla to grow outward. When a person mouth breathes, the tongue rests behind the lower teeth, and the maxilla loses the support of the tongue. It then tends to grow downward instead of outward. However, even though a lot of doctors and researchers believe this, it's not really a conventional view.

Blues

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 10:42:27 AM »
I'm well at the beginning of this procedure, so much that i haven't had a proper consultation. The last time i did i was 15 (i am now 22). It makes me so sad but at the time i was scared as i had never had an operation and the thought terrified me. When i was last consulting it was with my facial surgeon, it's sad to think i was so close to having braces applied and then i bottled out. Now i'm a bit older i know i have to have this done. It's affected everything from my social to my love life, i'm already a hermit as it is. Should i get the braces i will definitely disappear into obscurity. I wouldn't be able to face life with my bite being exacerbated, even if it were to help me. I'll just have to hide away for however long it takes till surgery. Life well and truly sucks!

How do i go about this now though, i had a check up at a different dentist and the b*tch wasn't very helpful, she was saying that i had to contact my previous ortho for documents blah blah. Forget that, how do i start again, who do i see. Should i register with a local Ortho and go from there? I'm completely at a loss, please help. I'm the from the UK by the way. People have said i may have to pay but that's a no no. I don't see why? My friend's sister got a boob job on the NHS all because she was depressed, it makes me so god damn angry!

Antbee

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 06:05:06 PM »
I think to go through the NHS you'd need an orthodontist to see you and recommend you for surgery, the you'd get a referral to a hospital with a maxillofacial dept. etc. So because you have to pay for orthodontic work now in the UK (I think, it's been a while since I lived there, when I was a kid, my case was so bad, my braces were free on NHS) you can pick an orthodontist who has experience with jaw surgery patients. Have a look online, googling orthos in your area or close by and searching for "london (wherever you live) jaw surgery orthodontist" for example.
Good luck! Don't be disheartened. Now I live in the US and my ortho here suggested surgery. I started off with lingual braces and then because it was necessary for surgery got train track braces on the outside of my teeth. I am hermit-like too! (I think this is common among people with jaw issues as they generally feel less attractive or appealing and less confident) and braces were tough to get used to, but eventually you find yourself forgetting they're there and noticing a lot of older people have them too, not just teenagers.

Antbee

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 02:03:02 AM »

Hey Valerie, I think I see over on archwired you had your surgery. How are you? Hope everything is going well:)

perfetto8390

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2012, 08:15:58 PM »
Hey I have not been on here in a while, but its funny you said that I had my surgery? Actually my surgery has been moved to hopefully December. One of my brackets fell off, so they had to reorder it and my surgery has been rescheduled  :(. I was very disappointed, but now I am so busy with school that it will be here in no time.