Author Topic: My question thread  (Read 26523 times)

CK

• Private
Re: My question thread
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2012, 10:29:05 PM »
Oh, so how was it possible for me to tell then? I figured all this out prior to my consultation and at the consultation after the x-ray, the surgeon confirmed 100% of my self-diagnosis. Guess I'm either an undercover jaw-surgeon or some kind of super human, right?

so did you preface your consult with your own self-diagnosis before the surgeon gave his response?

you may have figured it out, that's good and a sign of due diligence. i wish i had that kind of fortitude and ambition prior to my surgery. but encouraging that sort of behavior isn't healthy for most people, it just isn't helpful. they come into the consult with the wrong mindset. OP needs a clear diagnosis, he doesn't need to prove anything. it is a serious surgery that will likely carry permanent results. so it's better to get a good handle on the surgeon's POV rather than having your own thoughts validated.

Hellojoe

« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2012, 11:00:08 PM »
so did you preface your consult with your own self-diagnosis before the surgeon gave his response?

you may have figured it out, that's good and a sign of due diligence. i wish i had that kind of fortitude and ambition prior to my surgery. but encouraging that sort of behavior isn't healthy for most people, it just isn't helpful. they come into the consult with the wrong mindset. OP needs a clear diagnosis, he doesn't need to prove anything. it is a serious surgery that will likely carry permanent results. so it's better to get a good handle on the surgeon's POV rather than having your own thoughts validated.

No, I had him diagnose me before I said a peep. I didn't want to influence his evaluation in any way. His evaluation of me needed to be as unbiased as can be.

I think you're wrong about that. If you want as good a result as can possibly be achieved, you need to understand the dynamics of your own face. From what I have seen, the vast majority of surgeons out there are not very much concerned with the aesthetics of jaw surgery, and even those who are get it wrong a lot of the time. Most surgeons seem to strive for accomplishing as much as possible by doing as little as possible and while that is a perfectly fine thing to do (especially seeing the exponentially rising risks associated with "doing more"), it is not good enough for me. By being uneducated, you are essentially putting yourself in the hands of an unknown person whose judgement you can't be too sure about. They might overlook and not correct, or undercorrect, parts simply because THEY do not think it's a big deal, and because it might not be needed to achieve a good bite.

I'm well aware that the great majority of patients out there do not have good knowledge of their own facial structure, but I would personally never do anything like this without being as sure of the impact of the surgery as I can be. There are times at which you do have to blindly put 100% of your trust in the hands of others. This is not one of those times.

Hellojoe

« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2012, 11:33:23 PM »
i dont disagree. ive encouraged posters to get a handle on what they feel is wrong, and then find out what is really wrong and what can be corrected.

im not saying people should be "uneducated." educate yourself, completely agree. sensible advice. cant say much about your opinion on jaw surgeons, as i havent interacted with the "vast majority."

i think a lot of people are more or less aware of their facial structure. but they simply put their faith in the surgeon. considering the rising medical costs associated with orthognathic surgery, especially with those "rockstar" surgeons - you know who they are - it is critical potential candidates inform themselves. but also have some humility.

I haven't interacted with many surgeons either, but I have seen a ridiculous amount of before/after's and patient's surgery journals which I am basing this assumption on. We seem to agree on most of the stuff that's been said then.

CK

• Private
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2012, 11:41:34 PM »
I haven't interacted with many surgeons either, but I have seen a ridiculous amount of before/after's and patient's surgery journals which I am basing this assumption on. We seem to agree on most of the stuff that's been said then.

pretty much.

x

• Private
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2012, 03:46:27 PM »
Well appt is scheduled for December 21st.

Haven't been this depressed in a while, and the whole process is going to be a nightmare considering it's something that's not even guaranteed to give the desired results.

tdawg

• Private
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2012, 06:56:45 PM »
im looking forward to see how this turns out since your case is relatively similar to mine. Good luck.

treevernal

• Private
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2012, 09:13:10 AM »
I, too, need a septoplasty but I'm waiting until I have jaw surgery (1 month) since he's going to do it at the same time.  Why get 2 separate surgeries if you don't have to?

x

• Private
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2013, 12:28:07 PM »
Well my good for nothing parents lost the info pertaining to the maxillofacial surgeon I was supposed to see. I didn't even get a call about missing the appointment, this is the second time I've scheduled an appointment and they pretty much pretended it didn't exist.

I did see my orthodontist today, and he's now saying I shouldn't see one, that my issues can be fixed with a septoplasty and a tooth positioner.  In reality I know this is going to fix my issues, but do little for appearances. My mom was in the room when he shot down the idea of seeing one, so she doesn't think I should either now. I guess I'll be waiting until I'm older and have my own insurance etc.

treevernal

• Private
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2013, 12:57:01 PM »
Sorry to hear.  I had to wait until I was independent from my parents to do this and they still tried to convince me not to do it. 

x

• Private
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2013, 01:11:44 PM »
Sorry to hear.  I had to wait until I was independent from my parents to do this and they still tried to convince me not to do it. 
It is what it is I guess. I'm interested to see how dramatically things will change from just a tooth positioner though. The orthodontist seems very confident, I'm not as convinced.

Good luck with your surgery, I look forward to getting to the point where you are at :)

treevernal

• Private
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2013, 03:03:14 PM »
Thanks.  How old are you if you don't mind me asking?

x

• Private
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2013, 04:10:06 PM »
Thanks.  How old are you if you don't mind me asking?

treevernal

• Private
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2013, 04:54:51 PM »
Ah well I'm sure you'll be on your way before you know it :)

x

• Private
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2013, 04:28:08 PM »
Will my face get longer or shorter with surgery?

to recap: both my jaws are retruded, my maxilla is more retruded than my mandible. I have an anterior open bite.

so I assume I'd get CCW rotation to correct the steep occlusal plane and fix the open bite, allowing my lower jaw to come forward. but my lower 1/3rd is the longest part of my face, and my chin is vertically long, only recessed right now. I can't tell whether my face will be shorter or longer when all is said and done

stupidjaws

• CFO
  • The panic the vomit the yuppies networking
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2013, 04:28:59 PM »
shorter