Author Topic: How does this ramal augmentation procedure differ from Chin Wing?  (Read 9627 times)

MrRochester

http://www.drwittenberg.com/orthognathic-procedures/ramal-augmentation.html

Sound similar to chin wing, but is offered by an English speaking surgeon. Might be of interest to people here from USA.

No idea if you need braces for it or not since there aren't any details provided.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 10:16:05 AM by MrRochester »

Lazlo

• Private
Re: How does this ramal augmentation procedure differ from Chin Wing?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 05:58:39 AM »
i best 99 percent of those are cases with orthagnathic surgetry AND s**tty medpor implants.

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 07:05:33 AM »
Yeah I'll go with those being a combination of implants and jaw surgery too.
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

MrRochester

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 12:34:52 PM »
You guys are indeed correct. I called today and it is an implant. Not a medpor one, but like a Gortex or something similarly named. Why is there not a single doctor on the entire North American continent offering chin wing?

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 10:31:18 PM »
You guys are indeed correct. I called today and it is an implant. Not a medpor one, but like a Gortex or something similarly named. Why is there not a single doctor on the entire North American continent offering chin wing?

Well it's a relatively new procedure which was only 'discovered' (is that the right word?) in 2009. So while within Europe there are new a few offering it, I imagine it'll take quite some time before it becomes more common in other parts of the globe. Another possible limitation might be that many view Maxfac as a purely functional form of surgery, whereas Chin Wing Osteotomie deals solely with aesthetics.

I hope it does catch on more though just because it's such a powerful procedure. The ability to fix asymmetries of the lower-third, improve gonial angles, give the appearance of lengthened gonial angles, widen the mandible angles and more. Basically it can address every aesthetic concern one would ever have regarding the mandible.

In terms of other forms of Ramal augmentation there is the SSRO (done with distraction and a traditional osteotomy), as well as an IVRO and BSSO w/ CCW to a lesser extent. The problem is that both of these methods impact  the occlusal plane, and thus that becomes the limiting factor when talking about what can be achieved aesthetically.
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 03:51:27 AM »
Yup, implants.  One of the only surgeons who seems to mix implants with jaw surgery on the regular.  He does cheekbone implants too

Who does chin wing, apart from Mommaerts?

Unpopular opinion - I still haven't ruled out getting custom ramal implants....
Shoot me

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 06:21:53 AM »
I know of Dr Triaca (Zurich) and Dr Zarrinbal (Berlin)

I'd love to see Triaca but I doubt I can afford it.  I'm not sure what he charges for bimax but I know it's a LOT more than UK surgeons.  Given someone said he charges 12k (?eur) for chin wing (vs 6k for Mommaerts) so I'm guessing bimax with him would be 25-30k eur

If only I could get a hold of Dr Pelo or Dr Schendel  :'( :( :'( :(   No reply to emails.  Anyway, I digress.  Hopefully in the future this procedure becomes more common. 

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 07:57:10 AM »
Don't know about Triaca, but Zarrinbal charges 6000 too for Chin-Wing. Had a consultation with him. When done with Bimax he says around 2500 eur. I think it's really cheap.

I didn't realise you could do the chinwing with bimax?  Don't you have to wait for the BSSO to heal and then do the chin wing?

MrRochester

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 10:37:38 AM »
Triaca no longer performs chin wing himself. It's his partner Brusco who does them these days. I listed the cost in one of my previous posts, it's around 20k USD.

sean89

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 11:10:21 AM »
The problem with the chin wing is that it goes by different names. Dr Van der Dussen does it by the name of a border expansion and he does it cheaper than Mommaerts. Also, there are several surgeons in Germany who perform this procedure but on average, it is much more expensive than it is in Belgium.

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 07:32:55 PM »
The problem with the chin wing is that it goes by different names. Dr Van der Dussen does it by the name of a border expansion and he does it cheaper than Mommaerts. Also, there are several surgeons in Germany who perform this procedure but on average, it is much more expensive than it is in Belgium.

I consulted with Van Der Dussen and he honestly did not come across as a maxfac surgeon at all. Apparently he does a lot of his work with some other maxfac surgeon at a nearby hospital (who I also saw and was referred to by him to see).

MrRochester

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 10:02:44 PM »
I consulted with Van Der Dussen and he honestly did not come across as a maxfac surgeon at all. Apparently he does a lot of his work with some other maxfac surgeon at a nearby hospital (who I also saw and was referred to by him to see).

Do you have an opinion on Brusco? I don't think Triaca is performing it himself these days. Who is the best option if money isn't a concern?

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 10:04:23 PM »
Do you have an opinion on Brusco? I don't think Triaca is performing it himself these days. Who is the best option if money isn't a concern?

I honestly haven't looked into either of them enough to really comment. If someone can direct me to results of theirs I'd love to take a look.

applejuice

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2014, 01:05:02 AM »
There are lots of Triaca/Brusco results posted in your own thread  :o
http://jawsurgeryforums.com/index.php/topic,1301.0.html

notrain

• Private
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2014, 01:24:04 AM »
Who is the best option if money isn't a concern?

Brusco at Klink Pyramide am See, Zurich. The procedure was invented there, just go to the source (neo).