Author Topic: MORE ON DISTRACTION OSTEOGENESIS FOR JAW  (Read 13937 times)

screwsandplates

• Private
Re: MORE ON DISTRACTION OSTEOGENESIS FOR JAW
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2012, 08:47:25 PM »
I've actually done my own research on that. I know you posted some videos on one of my threads about that. They originally did distraction osteogenesis for kids with Apert syndrome. It's quite a lengthy process.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2012, 12:00:57 PM »
I've actually done my own research on that. I know you posted some videos on one of my threads about that. They originally did distraction osteogenesis for kids with Apert syndrome. It's quite a lengthy process.

iT used to be, especially with external devices. It seems that for jaw lengthening though you have an internal device and its life as usual during the lengthening phase (i.e. never more than 3 weeks to a month) then you just get braces. No big deal at all. If Paul Oceancig is producing good results this way I think it's amazing. I should also say that for those of us really obsessed about aesthetics. Getting distraction to lengthen the jaw in places and THEN having the bi-max surgery might actually be the way to go.

strongjawman

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2014, 05:57:25 AM »
iT used to be, especially with external devices. It seems that for jaw lengthening though you have an internal device and its life as usual during the lengthening phase (i.e. never more than 3 weeks to a month) then you just get braces. No big deal at all. If Paul Oceancig is producing good results this way I think it's amazing. I should also say that for those of us really obsessed about aesthetics. Getting distraction to lengthen the jaw in places and THEN having the bi-max surgery might actually be the way to go.

Sorry for bumping such an old thread, but I was just wondering what you meant exactly by getting DO first and then getting a bi-max, what would be the point in this?

Also, this might be a rudimentary question, but I have read that one of the advantages of DO is that it allows for bone regrowth, but doesn't regular jaw surgery also do this? I mean presumable the bone has to regrow as it heals anyway? Or is it that with the DO the bone regrowth is in the same pattern as it was before whereas with a simple BSSO the shape of the mandible is different (thinner?).

Lot of questions there lol

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2014, 08:17:52 PM »
Healing takes place in two phases. The first phase takes about 4mo, in which a basic bone is formed. It then remodels for the next 8mo. Relapse is most likely in the first 6mo during this time. DO avoids this risk in principal but I've read the movements are much harder to control in the jaw. In other parts of the body they happen in only two dimensions. I suspect it's not as strong as plates are too. Probably the biggest reason it's not used more often is that surgeons are simply unfamiliar with it. No one wants to undergo a new procedure and no surgeon wants to risk their reputation.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2014, 09:01:46 PM »
Healing takes place in two phases. The first phase takes about 4mo, in which a basic bone is formed. It then remodels for the next 8mo. Relapse is most likely in the first 6mo during this time. DO avoids this risk in principal but I've read the movements are much harder to control in the jaw. In other parts of the body they happen in only two dimensions. I suspect it's not as strong as plates are too. Probably the biggest reason it's not used more often is that surgeons are simply unfamiliar with it. No one wants to undergo a new procedure and no surgeon wants to risk their reputation.

No there are plenty of problems. Instability, high rate of relapse, doctors are stupid and only a few can do it, but even the best ones who have invented the devices for this s**t don't want to do it.

The only real DO availabile right now is SARPE. Anyway, this thread is dead. NO ONE IS DOING THIS TECHNIQUE WITH ANY SUCCESS. GIVE IT UP.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2014, 04:22:20 AM »
Paul Coceancig does mandibular and even maxillary DO.  Whether it's worth it for non-syndromal adults... I have no idea. 

sean89

« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2014, 05:42:38 AM »
No there are plenty of problems. Instability, high rate of relapse, doctors are stupid and only a few can do it, but even the best ones who have invented the devices for this s**t don't want to do it.

The only real DO availabile right now is SARPE. Anyway, this thread is dead. NO ONE IS DOING THIS TECHNIQUE WITH ANY SUCCESS. GIVE IT UP.

SARPE and RME is the most common use of DO as you said, but there are a lot of surgeons in Europe (Switzerland, as you might guess - Obwegeser, Triaca et al) who are successfully using DO to distract anterior segments of the mandible and maxilla even though they are still reluctant to distract the whole complex.