Author Topic: jaw surgery or genioplasty? w/pics  (Read 10138 times)

isco92

jaw surgery or genioplasty? w/pics
« on: June 12, 2014, 11:04:41 AM »
Hello.

I went too see a surgeon and a consultant in orthodontics

He/they gave me the two options they though was the best:
1. To consider orthodontic treatment in conjunction with jaw surgery. (train track braces for a year)
2. To accept the positions of the teeth and jaws as they are and to consider a
surgical operation to the chin only called a genioplasy to augment your chin and  improve facial profile.

They recommended option 2, because option 1 would be complicated.
I got told I had a class 2 malocclusion. I had braces when I was 12 years old, too compensate for that.

Im thinking that jaw surgery might be needed because my jaw is set back compared to the rest, and a genioplasty wont fix that would it?
Which option do you think is the best?
all feedback is very helpful, thanks  :)

« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 10:06:17 AM by isco92 »

Gregor Samsa

Re: jaw surgery or genioplasty decision /w pics
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 11:13:01 AM »
If you don't have any problems with your bite then a genioplasty or chin wing might indeed be the best option for you. It's hard to say without knowing what your bite and airway is like though.

isco92

Re: jaw surgery or genioplasty decision /w pics
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 12:00:25 PM »
orthodontics description: "Your teeth bite well together overall. There is very mild crowding of your incisors. Your occlusion
is very satisfactory"

Tiny

• Private
Re: jaw surgery or genioplasty? w/ pics
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 04:06:52 PM »
orthodontics description: "Your teeth bite well together overall. There is very mild crowding of your incisors. Your occlusion
is very satisfactory"
From an orthodontist, that really doesn't mean s**t, IMHO
My occlusion was "satisfactory" after 4 years of braces.  How is it now? Pretty crap

I think you should do a BSSO.  You look young, I think it's easier to do it when you're younger

isco92

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 05:38:27 PM »
From an orthodontist, that really doesn't mean s**t, IMHO
My occlusion was "satisfactory" after 4 years of braces.  How is it now? Pretty crap

I think you should do a BSSO.  You look young, I think it's easier to do it when you're younger

The occulusion doesnt concern me. And if it gets crap I can always fix it in later stages anyway. As this is the case do you still think BSSO
still is the way to go for me?

PloskoPlus

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 05:46:51 PM »
IMO, BSSO is the way to go.  Get MULTIPLE opinions.  Orthos AND surgeons.

isco92

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 12:11:35 AM »
IMO, BSSO is the way to go.  Get MULTIPLE opinions.  Orthos AND surgeons.

What if I do a genioplasty first, and see what happens if its not the result I wanted, I can possibly go with a BSSO?

applejuice

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 12:25:00 AM »
Your lower jaw looks severely recessed. With a genio you would probably end up with ridiculous long chin and a deep sublabial fold.

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 01:01:05 AM »
Your lower jaw looks severely recessed. With a genio you would probably end up with ridiculous long chin and a deep sublabial fold.

I agree

PloskoPlus

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 02:55:54 AM »
What if I do a genioplasty first, and see what happens if its not the result I wanted, I can possibly go with a BSSO?

It's usually BSSO first, and a little genio later if needed.  Structural problems should be fixed, not camouflaged.

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2014, 04:15:09 AM »
A genio is definitely not the way forward for you.  The lower jaw is recessed but the chin is not....a genio is going to look ridiculous

Actually, your lower jaw looks like mine does, post implant (I have a chin implant).  And I've been propose at least 8mm of advancement, and I'm female with a small face.  So for you it think it would be more like 10mm if your bite allows it which is the upper limit of what you can advance the jaw with a BSSO

The occlusion may not concern you now but believe me, it will start to concern you when you get to your late 20s and get gum recession because your lower teeth have been pushed so far forward to mask the overbite, and you have no upper lip because your upper teeth have been pulled in.

Orthos do not want to admit that they can't "fix" every bite.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2014, 04:39:41 AM »
IMO orthos are less likely to deny reality with an underbite. All 4 orthos I saw said surgery immediately.

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2014, 06:43:35 AM »
IMO orthos are less likely to deny reality with an underbite. All 4 orthos I saw said surgery immediately.
Yeah, this is definitely true.  Wonder why? Because underbites are less common?

I saw 4 orthos and 2 dentists.  3 orthos and both dentists said surgery.  The 4th ortho was stupid and proposed extrusion, which isn't stable in an adult patient

PloskoPlus

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2014, 03:54:39 PM »
Yeah, this is definitely true.  Wonder why? Because underbites are less common?

I saw 4 orthos and 2 dentists.  3 orthos and both dentists said surgery.  The 4th ortho was stupid and proposed extrusion, which isn't stable in an adult patient

Because class iii looks deformed and is impossible to mask.  Class ii - jut the lower jaw forward. (Though I still can't believe what they did to that young Swedish guy.  Extracted 4 lower teeth to make the lower arch fit under the upper. And his nose was pointing down.  His midface was clearly flat.  He was a nice guy, but looked angry/mean because of that.  His ortho should have had his f**king arms extracted.)

dantheman

• Private
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2014, 07:06:35 PM »
A genio is definitely not the way forward for you.  The lower jaw is recessed but the chin is not....a genio is going to look ridiculous

Actually, your lower jaw looks like mine does, post implant (I have a chin implant).  And I've been propose at least 8mm of advancement, and I'm female with a small face.  So for you it think it would be more like 10mm if your bite allows it which is the upper limit of what you can advance the jaw with a BSSO

The occlusion may not concern you now but believe me, it will start to concern you when you get to your late 20s and get gum recession because your lower teeth have been pushed so far forward to mask the overbite, and you have no upper lip because your upper teeth have been pulled in.

Orthos do not want to admit that they can't "fix" every bite.

You know what I don't get? In every medical field, a doctor has to get consent from a patient for any procedure explaining the indication, the benefits, risks, and alternatives to treatment. I don't remember the ortho ever saying that I may have issues with early gum recession if we procline my lower incisors. Which is exactly what has happened. The only silver lining is that he didn't pull in my upper teeth  :-[