Author Topic: Thin jaw bone : thin ramus and mandible  (Read 3131 times)

summer2020

Thin jaw bone : thin ramus and mandible
« on: September 19, 2014, 08:38:33 AM »

i hate to complain but this is effecting my life now and im really sick of it ,can somebody help ??

i saw 2 surgeons lately (i need double jaw surgery and nothing else )

A.
one told me that my jaw is so thin and small that any procedure would be risky .
through the doctors broken english i understood that a BSSO will cause nerve damage so he suggested IVRO ( IVSRO is used i think ) even though IVRO is also risky for my case he says . he scared me , he is so nice and passionate for his job but he is so open and honest  . he has done so many IVRO before on lower jaw surgery but he hasn't done a lot of double jaw surgery (around 100 cases i don't know if he mean per year or his whole carrier )

B.
i saw another surgeon who is a pioneer in jaw surgery and has done over 2000 cases already . he admitted that my jaw is so thin but wants to operate by SSRO anyway because he say that he can protect the nerve and he doesn't do the IVRO any more.he has alot of confidence but im still worried because he doesnt like the IVRO .

which doctor should i go for ?
 i know all about bsso ssro ivro and ivsro   i just want to know if any one has the thin jaw problem as me and how dangerous is it really??

Tiny

• Private
Re: Thin jaw bone : thin ramus and mandible
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 11:14:24 AM »
Sounds like surgeon B is a much better bet

Don't know much about thin bones but IVRO is not commonly done and involves a full thickness cut, unlike BSSO and SSRO.  But I guess the body of your mandible is too thin to split to do the osteotomy?

PloskoPlus

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 03:53:15 PM »

Don't know much about thin bones but IVRO is not commonly done and involves a full thickness cut, unlike BSSO and SSRO.  But I guess the body of your mandible is too thin to split to do the osteotomy?

Would an SSRO improve gonial angles?

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 08:54:53 AM »
Would an SSRO improve gonial angles?

It can lengthen the ramus, so yes.  However it will not change the actual physical bony structure of the angle itself

I believe it is rarely done due to the strength of the masseter muscle, which can push the two halves back together.  Otherwise it would be ideal for me!

Mark32

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 11:13:30 AM »
surgeon B does sound like the better option

Quote from: Tiny
It can lengthen the ramus, so yes.  However it will not change the actual physical bony structure of the angle itself

I believe it is rarely done due to the strength of the masseter muscle, which can push the two halves back together.  Otherwise it would be ideal for me!

i don’t know anything about the procedure but when the two halves get pushed back together in this way is something in between displaced? or is it that new bone growth gets re-absorbed? these q.s could be way off the mark as i know nothing about this surgery :-\

on the point of bone being too thin to do a bsso, when they ‘split’ the bone where a bsso is being performed how do they do it? is the cut sawed? ???

summer2020

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 06:23:40 AM »

yea i was told by the first doctor that Thin small jaw bone cut by split Osteotomy  will most likely cause some nerve damage so he advised not to do it , while the other doctor admitted my jaw bone is small but he still wanted to do the ssro after looking at CT scans.

the IVRO procedure is done with screws here so the teeth are shut for 2 weeks only we got the options of jaw exercise and o2 capsules for healing , i dont know much about IVRO but it deosnt sound so bad . the surgery itself is dangerous  i was told but why?

what could go wrong with an IVRO ?? why do most surgeons avoid it really ?
 the last doctor just said he doesnt like it because its not stable and havent done it for 7 years ... i wonder if that  means IVRO  will cause an aesthetically bad result .