Author Topic: Cheekbones after jaw surgery?  (Read 11091 times)

bpanther

Cheekbones after jaw surgery?
« on: September 30, 2014, 06:59:43 AM »
I'm hitting 20 and I'm in the midst of my braces treatment. I'm scheduled for some pretty intensive orthognathic surgery soon to correct my narrow dental arches and overbite, and the procedures include:

1. SARPE/SARME for my narrow upper arch
2. Lower arch expansion (basically mandibular widening through distraction)
3. Double jaw surgery, both jaws will be advanced to correct an overbite

I'm a guy with rather prominent features because of my ethnic background. I have high, prominent cheekbones (they literally stick out like daggers), a prominent chin, etc. and I know that jaw surgery will make me look different - not that I'm bothered, because my overbite looks bad, and it's also terrible from a functional standpoint because I breathe through my mouth at night as I can barely get my mouth to close shut. I'm worried about the cheekbones, though - will they look less prominent after my jaws get widened and pushed forward? I suppose the widened dental arch will push my cheeks (the part that's directly supported by the underlying tooth structure) outwards, thus reducing the prominence of my cheekbones and making my face more rounded? Or will the cheekbones actually get pushed outwards as my palate expands, making them more prominent than ever? I've heard about malar osteotomies and all that but I'm not fond of surgery and want to stop at these.

I'd appreciate your opinions. I don't know much about the anatomy of the face.

Thanks!  :)

PloskoPlus

Re: Cheekbones after jaw surgery?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 07:02:25 AM »
Photos.

bpanther

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 12:53:07 PM »
I'm only 19 and I'd rather protect my identity, if that's okay. I'm just curious as to how adult surgical palatal expansion affects the facial aesthetics. My maxfac surgeon suggested that I do it before the 'regular' double jaw surgery, but I'm still on the fence. If it does indeed push the cheeks out and make the face look less angular, then I'll see if I can cancel it and just go ahead with fixing my overbite because I can live without a wide dental arch – it's not all that bad, functionally.

On the other hand, I have heard stories about people who've undergone SARPE/SARME and found themselves with more prominent cheekbones. I don't understand how that works.

MrFox

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 01:07:16 PM »

On the other hand, I have heard stories about people who've undergone SARPE/SARME and found themselves with more prominent cheekbones. I don't understand how that works.
Yer I've heard that, well when people have palatal expanders when they are still growing.
I'm not sure if the cheekbones move with SARPE.
The area below your cheekbones will be fuller if your arch is expanded, so I'd imagine that they could look less pronounced if that area is visibly hollow at the moment.

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 01:11:37 PM »
I had Trans Palate Distraction done in Europe, it's similar to SARPE I think but moves the bones more, I think but don't quote me on that.

My cheekbones did become more prominent, not in a good way particularly though as they were already fairly strong and are now  hollow underneath. However, a lot of people don't experience any change at all so it's hard to predict what will happen in your case.

MrFox

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 01:23:02 PM »
I had Trans Palate Distraction done in Europe, it's similar to SARPE I think but moves the bones more, I think but don't quote me on that.

My cheekbones did become more prominent, not in a good way particularly though as they were already fairly strong and are now  hollow underneath.
Oh wow you actually got hollow cheeks from this? I would have thought that would be a positive bonus even in women. I can sympathise with not liking your cheekbones because you think they are too large.

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 01:27:12 PM »
Oh wow you actually got hollow cheeks from this? I would have thought that would be a positive bonus even in women. I can sympathise with not liking your cheekbones because you think they are too large.

They aren't dissimilar to the woman in your pic, is it Ava Gardner? I only wish I had the rest of her face to match  ;D

bpanther

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 01:29:11 PM »

My cheekbones did become more prominent, not in a good way particularly though as they were already fairly strong and are now  hollow underneath. However, a lot of people don't experience any change at all so it's hard to predict what will happen in your case.

Fascinating! How much did they distract your palate and how long did it take for it to stabilise?

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 01:35:27 PM »
Fascinating! How much did they distract your palate and how long did it take for it to stabilise?

I had a small little gadget screwed into the roof of my mouth, much smaller than what's used for SARPE. It had a tiny screw thing in the center which I had to crank with a mini wrench type thing everyday for a few weeks. Braces were put on 6 weeks later and the gadget thing was removed after 3 or 4 months.

All pretty gruesome really!

MrFox

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 01:37:29 PM »
They aren't dissimilar to the woman in your pic, is it Ava Gardner? I only wish I had the rest of her face to match  ;D
Haha your presence never ceases to brighten the mood, at least this forum can benefit from it.

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 01:49:02 PM »
Haha your presence never ceases to brighten the mood, at least this forum can benefit from it.

Thanks, I think  ;D

Cmonster

• Private
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 03:09:31 PM »
Well if you're having any significant impaction, kiss your cheekbones goodbye, seriously.
If you are having your maxilla moved forward it will fill up your midface .
It really will depend on your measurements.
We have to continually be jumping off cliffs and developing our wings on the way down.

bpanther

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 03:14:31 PM »
I had a small little gadget screwed into the roof of my mouth, much smaller than what's used for SARPE. It had a tiny screw thing in the center which I had to crank with a mini wrench type thing everyday for a few weeks. Braces were put on 6 weeks later and the gadget thing was removed after 3 or 4 months.

All pretty gruesome really!

How was your surgical procedure performed? I believe SARPE involves splitting the palate into two and making lateral cuts on the maxilla to allow the two separated palate parts to expand – but if I understand correctly, your procedure probably just needed a split on the roof of the mouth and nothing more? (prior to the attachment of the device)

Thanks!

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 03:30:01 PM »
How was your surgical procedure performed? I believe SARPE involves splitting the palate into two and making lateral cuts on the maxilla to allow the two separated palate parts to expand – but if I understand correctly, your procedure probably just needed a split on the roof of the mouth and nothing more? (prior to the attachment of the device)

Thanks!

The maxilla was weakened in about 4 places I think, along the lefort 1 fracture line it was done through the nostrils and seemed much less invasive than the traditional SARPE.

ticktickatick

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 05:14:01 PM »
I had a palatial expander, and it did increase the prominence of the cheekbones. I look better when smiling post-expander, but worse at rest. I can't really pinpoint why that is. More of a chipmunk / cutesy effect when smiling, I can get away with that as a female.