Author Topic: Sliding Genioplasty Journey with Dr. Gunson  (Read 58499 times)

SGseeker

Re: Sliding Genioplasty + Consults + Morphs + Photos + Questions!
« Reply #75 on: June 18, 2015, 03:40:04 PM »
Here is the detailed calculation simulation from Gunson. This model does not take into account rotation which would give me added projection. For those of you who know how to interpret this please let me know your thoughts :)

Thanks!

[attachment deleted by admin]

PloskoPlus

« Reply #76 on: June 20, 2015, 06:46:30 AM »
Thanks everyone!!

@PloskoPlus
Is it because of resorption ? I am trying to do as much research as possible right now on HA. Please share any reviews or resources you know of to help with my decision. I really like the idea of contouring with it on the jaw line and have read some good reviews so far. I am even tempted to do cheekbone enhancement with HA. I'd love to know your thoughts on the matter.

Thanks!!!

I've never seen HA paste actually do anything.  Filling notches from genioplasty, a bit of contouring of the jaw, that's about it.   The risks are infection (especially as it goes through the mouth), unpredictable resorption.  Some here have had their bones go soft from the HA paste.  Granted, HA paste formulations are different. Maybe A&G have some formula that doesn't have these problems.  Modern HA paste is expensive in itself and I heard A&G charge an arm and a leg for application as well.  TBH, I'm just cynical and I think it's an easy money maker for them.

Jaw contouring, cheekbone enhancement are best done with osteotomies - chin wing and zygomatic osteotomies respectively.  FWIW, I don't see you as having flat cheeks.

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #77 on: June 20, 2015, 08:15:50 AM »
I researched the HA paste as well. Not a fan. Not sure about zygomatic osteotomy either but better than HA paste.

SGseeker

Re: Sliding Genioplasty with Dr. Gunson - Santa Barbara
« Reply #78 on: September 15, 2015, 06:46:28 AM »
Hi Everyone! I am about a month from surgery. Booking tickets and lodging etc. Just SUPER SUPER nervous. I have read numerous horror stories about sliding genioplasty but I want to put my trust in Dr. Gunson as he performs multiple jaw surgeries and genioplasties a year.Please PM your photos if you have had surgery with Gunson or an isolated genioplasty from another surgeon. I have re-attached the morph he provided me with in case you have additional thoughts.

Thanks!!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 05:50:03 PM by SGseeker »

needadvancement

« Reply #79 on: September 15, 2015, 07:27:59 AM »
I researched the HA paste as well. Not a fan. Not sure about zygomatic osteotomy either but better than HA paste.

What is so negative about HA paste?

ForeverDet

Re: Upcoming Sliding Genioplasty with Dr. Gunson - Santa Barbara
« Reply #80 on: September 15, 2015, 08:40:40 AM »
Wow Dr. G is only doing a isolated genio on you? I was under the impression they always do at least single jaw surgery with or w/out a genio. I know for a fact one of their staff years ago said they exclusively did jaw surgery. I wonder if it's a recent change. That's cool though, you are in really good hands.

HA Paste is apparently hit an miss.

SGseeker

« Reply #81 on: September 15, 2015, 09:14:23 AM »
Wow Dr. G is only doing a isolated genio on you? I was under the impression they always do at least single jaw surgery with or w/out a genio. I know for a fact one of their staff years ago said they exclusively did jaw surgery. I wonder if it's a recent change. That's cool though, you are in really good hands.

HA Paste is apparently hit an miss.

Yes- that's what I was told by other people as well. I went in for a consult just to be sure and at first he was going to recommend jaw surgery but after his analysis it was a difference of 2mm (SG vs. Jaw) and I don't have any issues such as TMJ, OSA, bite, or pain. So he said he could do a rotational sliding genio for me. Thanks for letting me know I am in good hands. I really am nervous right now!!!

Re: HA Paste. I have done a bunch of research. I have come across people with great results and some where I can see no difference at all. I will not be having any cheekbone augmentation. Just sliding genio and i believe they will use HA to fill in the notches on my jaw/contouring. I haven't found any studies stating high deterioration with HA only that it stood up very well after 2-5 years still. Honestly there is not enough information on this. I asked Dr.G about HA and he has used it for over 10 years and says that it lasts and he hasn't seen any major complication with it.

ForeverDet

« Reply #82 on: September 15, 2015, 11:33:59 AM »
Awesome! I wish I only needed a genio when I had jaw surgery with Dr. G. I had already gotten one years before that didn't really address my issues. But my result with Dr. G was good overall though. You can check out my pics in the overbite forum. I had HA paste put along my jawline and cheekbones too which made them prominent. I guess that's unusual. keep us updated!

SGseeker

« Reply #83 on: September 15, 2015, 02:17:30 PM »
Foreverdet - your results are AMAZING. He did an amazing job. Did you manage to get back all of your sensation ? How was the recovery from your first genioplasty ?

terry947

« Reply #84 on: September 15, 2015, 11:55:48 PM »
Nice hope everything goes well! Keep us posted!

needadvancement

« Reply #85 on: September 16, 2015, 02:37:20 AM »
Yes- that's what I was told by other people as well. I went in for a consult just to be sure and at first he was going to recommend jaw surgery but after his analysis it was a difference of 2mm (SG vs. Jaw) and I don't have any issues such as TMJ, OSA, bite, or pain. So he said he could do a rotational sliding genio for me. Thanks for letting me know I am in good hands. I really am nervous right now!!!

Re: HA Paste. I have done a bunch of research. I have come across people with great results and some where I can see no difference at all. I will not be having any cheekbone augmentation. Just sliding genio and i believe they will use HA to fill in the notches on my jaw/contouring. I haven't found any studies stating high deterioration with HA only that it stood up very well after 2-5 years still. Honestly there is not enough information on this. I asked Dr.G about HA and he has used it for over 10 years and says that it lasts and he hasn't seen any major complication with it.

By the way, did they mention that a SG can improve the airways too? I've been reading about it, it's about how advanging the chin tightens the tissue and changes the position of the tongue a bit.

SGseeker

« Reply #86 on: September 16, 2015, 09:21:18 AM »
By the way, did they mention that a SG can improve the airways too? I've been reading about it, it's about how advanging the chin tightens the tissue and changes the position of the tongue a bit.

Based on the model I posted earlier that shows all of the calculations it looks like my airway will get larger. I asked Dr. G about this and he said that its not 100% it could potentially get larger but not significantly. Go look at the image and you will see that the model predicts my airway getting slightly larger with the red line.

needadvancement

« Reply #87 on: September 16, 2015, 08:35:37 PM »
Based on the model I posted earlier that shows all of the calculations it looks like my airway will get larger. I asked Dr. G about this and he said that its not 100% it could potentially get larger but not significantly. Go look at the image and you will see that the model predicts my airway getting slightly larger with the red line.

Yes and right on the lower spot of the airway just like I've been reading. You'll also get an improved contouring on your neck which is attractive. Sliding Genioplasty is a simple surgery(for the right surgeons) but it can do quite a lot to improve you. I can't wait to get mine.

trojans101

« Reply #88 on: September 18, 2015, 12:25:26 PM »
Hey SG,

I'm meeting with Dr. G in october for an SG. The morph you have looks good, evens things out. Its amazing what a chin can do to someones looks. I too have done all my research and it seems like Dr. G is the go-to doctor for this procedure.

Did Dr. G mention anything about metalis strain or anything? I noticed in the 1st pic, your lips don't touch. Did he say that would be improved?

Best,

T

Rico

« Reply #89 on: September 20, 2015, 01:38:57 AM »
What  perfect calculations give a surgeon ? if most of them do not use navigation during surgery ?
Is it possible to set the bone manually exactly as it was planned ? Shorty after first incision a soft tissue become swollen and since that time not everything is clearly visible