Author Topic: does anyone get SARPE after surgery?  (Read 3952 times)

JawKid7

does anyone get SARPE after surgery?
« on: May 12, 2015, 09:13:47 AM »
does anyone get sarpe appliance after surgery?
"Everyone sees what you appear to be, few experience what you really are.”

had upper jaw surgery on 5th October 2015

Lazlo

• Private
Re: does anyone get SARPE after surgery?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 05:13:48 PM »
bump

i also want to know this because it was suggested by my moron ortho for me. he was like, well you could always just get sarpe AFter your surgery. I was like WTF??? And several surgeons have said they wouldn't do it. So please chime in on this.

Nataliepryor

• Private
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 04:08:52 AM »
Do you mean having the appliance fitted after the surgery ??

If so, No. My surgeon said don't bother showing up without it, I won't do the surgery!

JawKid7

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 04:11:15 AM »
Do you mean having the appliance fitted after the surgery ??

If so, No. My surgeon said don't bother showing up without it, I won't do the surgery!

not directly after the surgery, I mean months/years after surgery
"Everyone sees what you appear to be, few experience what you really are.”

had upper jaw surgery on 5th October 2015

notrain

• Private
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 10:52:27 AM »
SARPE is usually done because a transverse discrepancy exists between the dental arches or would be existing after advancement of the lower jaw (upper arch is narrower than lower).

It has to be done first, because the surgeon cannot operate precisely when the upper arch doesn't fit properly above the lower jaw. You cannot get it after jaw advancement, it has to be done prior.

sean89

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 07:12:52 PM »
Its possible but the le fort screws have to come out.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 09:08:53 PM »
God my ortho is such a f**king MORON. And he gets super pissed whenever i call him on something.

Honestly, the first thing you should do when you find an ortho is like examine and crossexamine them to the point of literally trying to drive them insane. THe point being to see if they have a sort of asshole complex in them. Cause once you're fitted with their hardware and you've invested a few thousand in just the materials, or even worse, are subject to something like extractions or some other type of procedures and treatment that you've invested a lot of time with them in and THEN something goes wrong --and they turn to assholes---well then it's too late.

Alue

• Private
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 12:24:59 AM »
God my ortho is such a f**king MORON. And he gets super pissed whenever i call him on something.

Honestly, the first thing you should do when you find an ortho is like examine and crossexamine them to the point of literally trying to drive them insane. THe point being to see if they have a sort of asshole complex in them. Cause once you're fitted with their hardware and you've invested a few thousand in just the materials, or even worse, are subject to something like extractions or some other type of procedures and treatment that you've invested a lot of time with them in and THEN something goes wrong --and they turn to assholes---well then it's too late.

I have been lied to by every single orthodontist I have consulted with.  Two years ago I didn't know any better, but now I do, and they all say the same bulls**t. 

I try to keep an open mind and not make assumptions before I speak with them, but every one I have consulted with is either a liar, or completely ignorant about facial structure and is only concerned with bite and tooth alignment. 

PloskoPlus

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 01:50:18 AM »
I have been lied to by every single orthodontist I have consulted with.  Two years ago I didn't know any better, but now I do, and they all say the same bulls**t. 

I try to keep an open mind and not make assumptions before I speak with them, but every one I have consulted with is either a liar, or completely ignorant about facial structure and is only concerned with bite and tooth alignment.

Alas, the ortho-surgeon relationship is important.  Pick a good surgeon first.  He should have a good ortho.

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 09:44:15 PM »
@notrain
I'd wondered the same. In my case, it's because the surgeon is planning on a dental expansion of the upper arch. I only need maybe 4mm, which I understand is at the upper end of what's considered stable for dental movements but it's still within the range. But in that case, say it relapses, then is a SARPE revision possible to fix it surgically?

@Lazlo
I know what you mean. I picked my ortho based on this factor. He's done a few hundred adult surgery cases, worked with out of town surgeons, spent lots of time with me, etc. He seemed to enjoy speaking with me and discussing this stuff even. Look for ones who trained as engineers. They're genuinely curious.

I don't know about picking surgeon first. It's hard to understand the tradeoffs without an ortho around to help you out. That being said, most of them are worthless in practice and I'd have needed a half dozen appointments at least probably. I'm a high maintenance patient lol. Out of town surgeons often don't have local surgeons that they're regularly working with.