Author Topic: Does Anyone Know Anything About Dr Jordan Duchamps-Braly?  (Read 3005 times)

jawsephine

Does Anyone Know Anything About Dr Jordan Duchamps-Braly?
« on: August 08, 2015, 03:31:34 PM »
He seems to have trained under Dr. Obwegeser but now practices here in the USA in Oakland.

Cons: He's very young and smells a bit Hollywood-y (into all the Caitlyn Jenner-type feminsations - I don't know if that helps his osteotomy skills?)

Pros: He seems to have spent 7months training at Dr. Obwegeser Orthognathic Surgery centre in Zurich. Seems like a good guy in interviews.

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/jordan-deschamps-braly-md/23/65/a53

What criteria do you guys use for finding a good surgeon, other than, ya know, gut instinct?

jawsephine

Re: Does Anyone Know Anything About Dr Jordan Duchamps-Braly?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 04:11:02 PM »
Thank you!

The problem is when surgeons are so unwilling to do certain osteotomies, you tend to end up going for the ones who agree, probably because they want to practice on you.

Testimonials on site are ALWAYS BS. I never read them. I only read bad reviews tbh. I found some law suit he was involved in but I don't think he was the surgeon the plaintiff had a complaint with:

http://sfist.com/2015/03/05/surgeon_details_conflict_with_forme.php

(And sorry to the mods - I'm new and I think I've posted this in the wrong place.)

Bobbit

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 07:06:51 PM »
I'm pretty wary when it comes to "credentials" these days.  My last consult with Arnett had me very concerned about the future of quality doctors that are being made: Arnett had under studies with him and they were clearly clueless and uninterested.  I won't umbrella all people into this idea though but, its hard to say if you learn anything or if it makes you 'more legit' working under an already established doctor; whether it be Arnett or Obwegeser.

Anyhow, Duchamps-Braly has a lot of fake-y reviews on yelp and healthgrades.  His testimonials on his site are very similar to the "reviews" online too.  Best thing to do to feel him out is go on a consult and start from there.

27F,

Yeah... the "credentials" claims can get confusing.  A lot of that comes from the proliferation of  "self-organized"  "board" certifications not recognized by the legitimate board certification organizations.   Some more of it comes from people who claim to have done a  "fellowship"  with a famous surgeon.   But when you investigate,  you find out that they really were only at that hospital for a week or two and may have only ever seen the surgeon from the third row of other interested residents - - as you described.  For a while there was a web site where  an oral surgeon who watched one surgery of a famous plastic surgeon  claimed on his web site that he was trained by that surgeon.

On the other hand,  when the surgeon takes the time away from a career to spend a full  year at a formal and active academic craniofacial program or  goes to Europe for a year to someplace that originally developed a lot of the jaw surgery techniques and works one-on-one with the experienced surgeon - -  then doesn't one  sort of have to at least give that the benefit of the doubt? One thought might be to see how serious the training was would be to check and see if they are published in the area related to  their claimed extended training experience.

Ultimately - - I guess one has to just schedule a consultation and bring your CD full of images - -  see what they recommend, and then make up your mind.

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 09:53:32 PM »
No way to know for sure, ask orthos around town. Try and gather some numbers. Maybe see if you can contact his mentor and ask for references in the US. If he doesn't volunteer your surgeon, then that means he doesn't think highly of him. Realize that 7mo isn't all that long, doing 3 surgeries a week with partial supervision, how much do you think they can really learn from the mentor? It's more of a way for the mentor to get papers published. Young is a big red flag for me, needs at least a few hundred surgeries and a few years to even be considered along with good recommendations from orthos that have worked with him. Personality is big, if he doesn't come across well don't take the chance and move on to someone you like. Not worth it.

jawsephine

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 08:25:53 AM »
Thank you for this. I'll do as you say. I've mixed feelings about old too. The only other surgery I've had was a perfectly fine rhino with an old, respected surgeon in London, but his older fat fingers really freaked me out. Each one was the size of my nose. I was like - 'no way can this guy do a finesse job!'

I mean that proves your point, because he did a perfectly acceptable job, but I've also heard of older surgeons who can't be bothered anymore. I'll investigate further.