Author Topic: 3D Printed Bone Implants Are Now Available For Patients  (Read 42851 times)

terry947

Re: 3D Printed Bone Implants Are Now Available For Patients
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2015, 12:53:32 AM »
Thinking about this logically, osteotomies seem like the best option becaude  there is so much going on in the face. First there's bones, arteries, veins, muscle and fascia and layers of the skin. Implanting a foreign substance will usually look worse because it isn't compatible with all these layers. Not to mention developing some auto immune response to a foreign substance. Also how would you facial muscles relact with this stuff in your face? Seems like the lesser option between the two. Even with the limits of bone movements. Unless you have some huge deficiency then I guess implants are the best choice.

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2015, 01:41:01 AM »
Thinking about this logically, osteotomies seem like the best option becaude  there is so much going on in the face. First there's bones, arteries, veins, muscle and fascia and layers of the skin. Implanting a foreign substance will usually look worse because it isn't compatible with all these layers. Not to mention developing some auto immune response to a foreign substance. Also how would you facial muscles relact with this stuff in your face? Seems like the lesser option between the two. Even with the limits of bone movements. Unless you have some huge deficiency then I guess implants are the best choice.

The claim of CT bone is that it's replaced by natural bone overtime. If that's true then it should be better than an osteotomy.

01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

overbiter

« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2015, 12:31:24 PM »
The claim of CT bone is that it's replaced by natural bone overtime. If that's true then it should be better than an osteotomy.

Finally, someone understands. Thank you.

No osteotomy can mimic an implant like this, because of the inherent problems associated with just cutting and moving bone. A 3D printed implant is perfectly shaped to achieve the most aesthetic result. Moving bone around is primitive compared to this technique.

terry947

« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2015, 11:47:26 PM »
Yes CT bone seems like the future but say you problem is malar zygomatic area. Where you master muscles attach. How would you implant cone there? On top of the muscle? Underneath? I don't really understand this part.

Schrödingers Jaw

« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2015, 10:34:02 AM »
just curious, can this CT bone implant be used to augment the brow bone and orbital rims? I have terrible bug eyes that I need to fix.

Yes but I personally think a modified Lefort iii like earl had done provides a much more natural result. I am in the process of researching how I can improve the area around my eyes as well, my orbitals and cheeks are quite weak unfortunately.

Schrödingers Jaw

« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2015, 09:25:01 AM »
why is lefort 3 more natural if the article claims that this implant is converted to bone after time? won't that make this result just as natural?

lefort 3 is scary and I would like to avoid it all costs

I meant that the result looks more natural but since it is your bone rather than a foreign object I'd say it also holds true in a more general sense as well.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2015, 10:54:47 AM »
Finally, someone understands. Thank you.

No osteotomy can mimic an implant like this, because of the inherent problems associated with just cutting and moving bone. A 3D printed implant is perfectly shaped to achieve the most aesthetic result. Moving bone around is primitive compared to this technique.

Here's a revoltuionary idea since you guys are already now projecting surgery results based on this. How about actually contacting the company and reporting back about when this purported technology will be available, which surgeons use it and how realistic it is in achieving the results we want. Overbiter, since you're it's main proponent I nominate you. I find all this discussion just in the realm of science fiction right now, since from I can see, the tech isn't even available yet.

overbiter

« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2015, 01:21:32 PM »
Here's a revoltuionary idea since you guys are already now projecting surgery results based on this. How about actually contacting the company and reporting back about when this purported technology will be available, which surgeons use it and how realistic it is in achieving the results we want. Overbiter, since you're it's main proponent I nominate you. I find all this discussion just in the realm of science fiction right now, since from I can see, the tech isn't even available yet.

The implants aren't available yet, but they will be in 2016. Someone on this thread already got a reply from them about that. I've emailed them with some more questions. Hopefully they will message me back. If they do I'll post the replies here.

asphyxia

« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2015, 03:50:01 AM »
Such an interesting thread, thank you for starting it.
For the sake of information, here's the link to the european company website

http://www.xilloc.com/ct-bone/

and a synthetic article about it     

http://3dprintingindustry.com/2015/05/18/move-over-titanium-3d-printed-bone-implants-are-here/

Even more interesting is their policy directed towards patients directly rather than just surgeons and hospitals, but I guess it has to do with the whole 3-D custom design thing.

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2015, 08:58:34 PM »
In my research, there are many disadvantages to modified LeFort 3 which is why it's done so infrequently. Requires a separate surgery, limits to movements, difficulty predicting movements, visibility and migration of hardware over time, general surgical risk, incomplete ossification, fistulas, ridges and unnatural contour. The main reason the industry moved to augmentations is that the results are better. Augmentations, of course, suck. CT-bone looks considerably better but, still, I'd wait until you're older just so you can at least offset some age related changes. Plus, gives technology time to mature.

However, it's unclear to me if this product is replaced by bone. If the scaffold remains in place, then it's possible for it to separate later with facial bone changes and that's not good. There's screws too, of course, maybe those can be biodegradable. Overall, it looks very promising though.

boyo

« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2015, 02:29:36 PM »
I sent them a question and asked if it can be used for cosmetic augmentation, this is reply:

"We do make custom facial augmentation implants, but only for reconstruction after trauma or surgery, i.e. when there is a medical need.
Unfortunately we don't make augmentation implants purely for cosmetic reasons.

Kind regards,

Erik

Erik Boelen, MSc, PhD
Chief Operations Officer"

:(

this have to be in regards to current implants made of titanium or PEEK because the same guy wrote me this:

"Actually, the main indication for CT-Bone is cosmetic; it is aimed at augmenting non load-bearing facial skeletal structures, like augmentation of the mandible and the zygoma." refering to my question if it would be available for purely cosmetic purposes

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #71 on: December 09, 2015, 02:44:02 PM »
That's pretty f**ked up you guys got two contradicting responses from that dude!??

Anyway, you need to ask the company which doctors they've partnered with using these implants for cosmetic usages. Or it's just not actually available yet. Is it being used in clinical practice and which doctors are using it?

baldguy83

« Reply #72 on: December 09, 2015, 11:58:25 PM »
Erik Boelen seems to be full off s**t, he recommended me a PEEK implant for cosmetic augmentation (PEEK is s**t btw).

Schrödingers Jaw

« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2015, 04:12:58 AM »
Erik Boelen seems to be full off s**t, he recommended me a PEEK implant for cosmetic augmentation (PEEK is s**t btw).

How so?

asphyxia

« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2015, 02:13:49 PM »
Just sent a new email and keep you updated