Author Topic: Financial cost of double jaw surgery  (Read 9856 times)

toddstratt

Financial cost of double jaw surgery
« on: September 04, 2015, 05:38:56 PM »
So I know this is a question that can vary significantly for coverage options and extent of price in surgery. However I would like an idea of what I will be paying out of pocket and if there is finance options available for getting surgery. I am going to see Dr. Arnett in Santa Barbara and as far as I know now with PPO coverage I am not paying for the surgery itself. The anesthetic, hospital stay bill, medication, braces, and all of that are up in the air though and can run me anywhere from 8,000 to 20,000 in total medical bills. I am going to talk to the doctor more extensively when I see him again next month, but figured I would make a post here and find what others might have spent, or have been told what total costs would be for them.

Thanks for your help guys,

Todd

dantheman

• Private
Re: Financial cost of double jaw surgery
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 06:31:50 PM »
what I haven't considered is the cost of a complication. What if you had surgery in the States and needed ICU care? Without insurance you would be in debt for life!

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 07:48:01 PM »
Agreed. Without insurance you also have NO pricing power. They will literally charge you 5x what insured people pay and little to nothing you can do about it.

toddstratt

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 07:50:04 PM »
I actually have PPo coverage which is what the doctor said covers most the procedure. Just trying to find any hidden fees. Yeah you are definitely right there!

LoveofScotch

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 11:19:36 AM »
I hope I'm remembering this correctly...

A/G practice out-of-network (as do many other surgeons in the U.S.). Insurance plans obviously vary greatly, but I'll use mine as an example. The surgeons fee(s) would be my responsibility, but because both their anesthesiologist and the hospital they use (Goleta) are in-network with my insurance those would both be covered (after I reach my deductible). I also happen to have coverage for braces, when necessary for orthognathic surgery, through my health insurance, too.

Because they practice out-of-network I don't see how any insurance would pickup the costs of the surgeons fee(s), but you may have luck with some of the other expenses.

Good luck--insurance is an expensive nightmare.

LoveofScotch

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 05:56:01 PM »
Also, in addition to bringing your insurance card, I would bring a copy of your insurance policy when you see Arnett (and/or any other consults). The person that handles insurance will thank you, and it can reduce the phone tag that inevitably occurs when trying to get all this figured out.

Take care :)

Bobbit

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2015, 08:08:40 PM »
I hope I'm remembering this correctly...

A/G practice out-of-network (as do many other surgeons in the U.S.). Insurance plans obviously vary greatly, but I'll use mine as an example. The surgeons fee(s) would be my responsibility, but because both their anesthesiologist and the hospital they use (Goleta) are in-network with my insurance those would both be covered (after I reach my deductible). I also happen to have coverage for braces, when necessary for orthognathic surgery, through my health insurance, too.

Because they practice out-of-network I don't see how any insurance would pickup the costs of the surgeons fee(s), but you may have luck with some of the other expenses.

Good luck--insurance is an expensive nightmare.

From what I understand, the payments to "in-network" surgeons is so low - -  and they are forbidden to charge or accept additional charges if  "in-network" - -  that no surgeon will work "in-network" due to the very low re-imbursement rate.   

So the out of network insurance will often end up paying the the hospital and anesthesia and hardware costs for medically necessary orthognathic surgery,  but only a very small fraction of the surgeon's fees.

What do  A/G charge for  surgeons' fees for double jaw ?  There was one earlier post that it was something like  $68K ?   That seems pretty high. Is that accurate ?

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2015, 10:35:26 PM »
Oh yah that's WAY too high.

Gunson and Arnett charge around 30 grand for double jaw surgery and genioplasty including hospital costs.

ForeverDet

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2015, 10:42:20 PM »
Oh yah that's WAY too high.

Gunson and Arnett charge around 30 grand for double jaw surgery and genioplasty including hospital costs.

Unless they just recently decided to lower costs out of the goodness of their hearts lol no way is 30 grand the total.

A/G cost for double jaw surgery at the minimum NOT including hospital, anesthesia, post-op medications, etc. for standard cases is 30-40k typically. Just surgery costs.

So with hospital and anesthesia... you're looking 45-55k easily.

However they have sometimes charged up to 70k (maybe more) for surgery alone in really complex cases like revisions.

I paid out of pocket with Dr. G and it was somewhere around the middle figures above total.

There costs are not typical though of most surgeons and I was quoted 13k TOTAL by another surgeon for double jaw surgery. 

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2015, 11:08:48 PM »
Come to Canada it's only 5 grand here for EVERYTHING --bi-max, chin, hospital, reach around.

Breakingbad

• Private
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2015, 11:47:24 PM »
Lazlo, if you're in Canada, why aren't you getting your procedures done there? Wittenberg is supposed to be good.

chinnychinchin

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2015, 12:33:33 AM »
Paid 53k out of pocket for my surgery with Dr. Gunson (insurance automatically covered my hospital and anesthesia) but I did receive pre-authorization from my insurance for the jaw surgery operation. We'll see how that plays out and getting reimbursement takes time.

jesterofmalice

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2015, 03:54:56 AM »
Come to Canada it's only 5 grand here for EVERYTHING --bi-max, chin, hospital, reach around.

Privately? Paying it all yourself Without insurance?

toddstratt

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2015, 04:12:22 AM »
Unless they just recently decided to lower costs out of the goodness of their hearts lol no way is 30 grand the total.

A/G cost for double jaw surgery at the minimum NOT including hospital, anesthesia, post-op medications, etc. for standard cases is 30-40k typically. Just surgery costs.

So with hospital and anesthesia... you're looking 45-55k easily.

However they have sometimes charged up to 70k (maybe more) for surgery alone in really complex cases like revisions.

I paid out of pocket with Dr. G and it was somewhere around the middle figures above total.

There costs are not typical though of most surgeons and I was quoted 13k TOTAL by another surgeon for double jaw surgery.

This is all out of pocket? Was there any finance options for paying the fees back, I mean I am sure they don't expect 50k out of pocket from every patient. I wouldn't mind financing 20K to pay back, if the interest late was very low. But as a 25 year old starving actor trying to finish a B.A. it would be almost impossible to finance much more.

dantheman

• Private
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2015, 11:55:17 AM »
Lazlo, if you're in Canada, why aren't you getting your procedures done there? Wittenberg is supposed to be good.

Is this Dr. Gerald Wittenberg in Vancouver?