Author Topic: bsso plus sliding genio vs chin wing  (Read 11066 times)

mike888miller

bsso plus sliding genio vs chin wing
« on: November 02, 2015, 11:06:29 AM »
Hi

I'm mike. i am looking at bsso with rotation plus sliding genio vs chin wing, in order to move my jaw forward 8mm and up 8mm and in case of the chin wing to also widen the rams by up to 10mm or jaw implants potential as a second step.

i have been consulting with a number of docs in Europe and Korea. my bite is good.

keen to hear any thoughts on the limitation of chin wing vs bsso.

have attached some pics, showing pre and idealised post. i realise that there is fatigued and or excess tissue under the chin, this issue would not improve as much as in the morph, although i would expect there to be more of a noticeable improvement in the case of the bsso.

best
mike

[attachment deleted by admin]

mike888miller

Re: bsso plus sliding genio vs chin wing
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 08:55:03 AM »
bump

sean89

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 08:58:59 AM »
Your results won't get close to that morph lol.

You need to see a surgeon about this one I think cos your chin looks well projected but there's excess skin, which seems to be a contradiction of sorts.

Liposuction would be a less invasive option, your jaw looks fine but you'd need double jaw surgery i think to make any sort of difference.

schrodinger

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 12:26:30 PM »
Chin wing won't do that. And I've seen too many problems with chin wing. Seems unpredictable what result is.

Schrödingers Jaw

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 05:59:27 PM »
Chin wing won't do that. And I've seen too many problems with chin wing. Seems unpredictable what result is.

Could you tell us about these problems?

Aleina8586

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 11:51:15 PM »
I don't know much about chin wings and their complications but I think a genioplasty would bring you a step closer to the morph. Check out the woman in the picture I have attached; she had a genioplasty and ramal (jaw) implants.

Aleina8586

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 11:55:48 PM »
I don't know much about chin wings and their complications but I think a genioplasty would bring you a step closer to the morph. Check out the woman in the picture I have attached; she had a genioplasty and ramal (jaw) implants.

I've read, however, that implants in the face feel weird and your body can sometimes reject them so that's something to consider before getting something like this done.

mike888miller

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 08:34:21 AM »
thanks for the feedback

@sean - lol you are absolutely right, actually i messed up that morph and went overboard, i attach a better morph, which is based on agreed beauty ideas (7 degrees angle between chin > top of nose > upper lip , i currently have 15 degrees)

@schrodiger - exactly, to achieve this morph i need about 12 to 14mm additional forward projection which is more than chin wing / genio (which is like a more basic chin wing) can do. my bite and facial proportions are fine which is why i am shying away from the bsso.

@aleina - the excess skin is tricky, the genio and implants will improve it a little bit, but to fix it i would need to do a mini facelift which i don't want to do yet, i was told that lipo will not fix it as the issue is excess and flaccid skin as well as muscle.

i am also getting ramal implants. i hope that the combined skin displacement of the geni and implants will help with the saggy skin, kind of like a poor mans facelift.

mike888miller

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 08:40:34 AM »
revised morph with less forward projection

schrodinger

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2015, 07:27:30 PM »
Could you tell us about these problems?

Result is unpredictable. It is not that predictable how much extra projection you will get. Even if you are told it is. Because of the nature of the procedure.

It can only give limited mm extra projection, not dramatic change like implants can do.

You will not get a sharp angle with the chin wing. Problem is that the ramus won't get longer with it. You don't get nicely defined jaw angles.

Chin often gets longer from front too (but depends upon rotation: when there is more rotation then this does not happen) : some like the longer chin, some not. (I have written it before but a shorter chin is more youthful).

I have seen problems with asymmetry (again: unpredictable). In some results more then in the other, but not predictable.

Unsure how stable the procedure is longterm. How long have the few surgeons that do this been doing this? Longterm studies do not exist as far as I know since the procedure has not been done that long. Other surgeons say that too. Few scans I have seen do not show complete bone growth in gap.

Patient was hit against lower jaw and even after 6 months after the surgery apparently it still shifted. And if it shifts, it is not like an implant a bit out of position but you have a big issue.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 07:46:33 PM by schrodinger »

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 11:30:37 PM »
Result is unpredictable. It is not that predictable how much extra projection you will get. Even if you are told it is. Because of the nature of the procedure.

It can only give limited mm extra projection, not dramatic change like implants can do.
Projection is generally limited to around 1cm forward. This is based on tension created. If the patient needs more a second chin wing can be done after 12 months.

You will not get a sharp angle with the chin wing. Problem is that the ramus won't get longer with it. You don't get nicely defined jaw angles.
This depends entirely on the starting point. Even then, the entire wing can be segmented to create a more defined gonial angle. so it's possible to re-shape the jawline to a degree. It's just it won't take someone with micrognathia and give them a big jaw as there simply isn't the starting point to allow that. Ramus can get longer too because you're dropping mandibular border then grafting the gap.

Chin often gets longer from front too (but depends upon rotation: when there is more rotation then this does not happen) : some like the longer chin, some not. (I have written it before but a shorter chin is more youthful).
Not true. Chin height can be predicted pre-op.

I have seen problems with asymmetry (again: unpredictable). In some results more then in the other, but not predictable.
Asymmetries will only be as much is normal and natural. It isn't an implant, it's real bone which is always going to be asymmetric. Even then, given the wing can be segmented some asymmetries can be controlled for. In fact, that is one use of a chin wing - to correct asymmetries of the jawline when bite is ok. I've seen several patient examples of people with severely asymmetric jawlines on one side of the face be corrected to look totally normal post-op. Predictability is there with the chin wing too since a simple scan will show the asymmetries and can be discussed and planned with surgeon.

Unsure how stable the procedure is longterm. How long have the few surgeons that do this been doing this? Longterm studies do not exist as far as I know since the procedure has not been done that long. Other surgeons say that too. Few scans I have seen do not show complete bone growth in gap.

The procedure is of course stable just like sliding genios because there is no muscular forces on the bone. I haven't spoken to a single surgeon who thought otherwise. Even ones who didn't offer chin wing said it was going to be stable. As for complete bone growth I don't know, at what stage were these scans taken? Bone will grow back stronger than before, gaps should be filled using bone grafting. My own scans show I had perfect healing.

Patient was hit against lower jaw and even after 6 months after the surgery apparently it still shifted. And if it shifts, it is not like an implant a bit out of position but you have a big issue.
Have no idea about this exact case but individuals do heal at different rates. Still, at that stage post-op with any osteotomy the bone will have fused and begun re-modelling. I'm not sure how it could have "shifted" as you say. Especially when it's fixated the way it is. I'd need to see proof of this claim.
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

schrodinger

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 12:38:56 AM »
Projection is generally limited to around 1cm forward. This is based on tension created. If the patient needs more a second chin wing can be done after 12 months.

You did not see me deny you can get a second chinwing. But who would want to go into such a big surgery and plan immediately to get it done two times to have the projection wanted anyway. That also makes it twice the price too and twice post surgery illness and swelling.

This depends entirely on the starting point. Even then, the entire wing can be segmented to create a more defined gonial angle. so it's possible to re-shape the jawline to a degree. It's just it won't take someone with micrognathia and give them a big jaw as there simply isn't the starting point to allow that. Ramus can get longer too because you're dropping mandibular border then grafting the gap.

Not every surgeon that does the chinwing want to segment the wing or does that regularly. Z. said he often feels it is not needed and seems not to do it often. Only for very visible asymmetry he said.
So you are dropping the mandibular border but sliding it forward: with that you are not vertically elongating the ramus and making a sharp jaw angle. It doesn't make a long vertical ramus as you see it in males with sharp jaw angles. It change the angle of the jaw angle and the ramus and steepness of it. Not vertical elongation. Unless surgeon segments mandible border. But read above what Z .said about that and segmenting can also cause stepoffs

Not true. Chin height can be predicted pre-op.

I do not say either that you can not predict a bit if the chin will elongate. I said it can elongate. And this has been complaint at other forum. Since not all surgeons want to say beforehand how many mm change they will give since they say they can only see in surgery what looks good. So it then is not predictable what the change to the height of the chin will be too.

Asymmetries will only be as much is normal and natural. It isn't an implant, it's real bone which is always going to be asymmetric. Even then, given the wing can be segmented some asymmetries can be controlled for. In fact, that is one use of a chin wing - to correct asymmetries of the jawline when bite is ok. I've seen several patient examples of people with severely asymmetric jawlines on one side of the face be corrected to look totally normal post-op. Predictability is there with the chin wing too since a simple scan will show the asymmetries and can be discussed and planned with surgeon.

I read about and saw image of only one patient that had asymmetry corrected but only because the chin wing was done to part of the mandible in paper of A Triaca. Please show me other ones. Never did I see correction of asymmetry when whole mandible got chinwing. I did see several patients here and other that say they have asymmetry after complete chinwing with Zarrinbal. Some very evidently. Look it up yourself. Perhaps you are the Lucky one. Who was your surgeon? Perhaps he does the segmenting. Again, Z. said he hardly does segmenting and that it can only give better outcome if there is big asymmetry, with less big assimetries segmenting can cause new asymmetries.
You can not mold mandibular bone like clay or pretend it has no asymmetries like implant.

The procedure is of course stable just like sliding genios because there is no muscular forces on the bone. I haven't spoken to a single surgeon who thought otherwise. Even ones who didn't offer chin wing said it was going to be stable. As for complete bone growth I don't know, at what stage were these scans taken? Bone will grow back stronger than before, gaps should be filled using bone grafting. My own scans show I had perfect healing.

No muscular force on the mandibular angle and chin? Are u kiddin' me? You might want to read about the masseter muscles amongst it! Strongest muscle in face if not in human body!

Have no idea about this exact case but individuals do heal at different rates. Still, at that stage post-op with any osteotomy the bone will have fused and begun re-modelling. I'm not sure how it could have "shifted" as you say. Especially when it's fixated the way it is. I'd need to see proof of this claim.

This was told to me by the surgeon who does the chinwing himself in consult and that he planned new surgery on patient to correct. That it would require full chin wing again. Why would he make this up? Doesn't make sense to me.

Perhaps you want to read the positives only. If you had good result: cheers to you mate. And is good to hear. Who was your surgeon? We all need good result. But look around also on other forum and it is not Always like that.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 01:07:17 AM by schrodinger »

mike888miller

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 04:24:17 PM »
schrodinger: have you consulted with anyone yet regarding implants?

schrodinger

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2015, 05:16:23 PM »
schrodinger: have you consulted with anyone yet regarding implants?

I have consulted for sliding genio, chinwing, implants.

About chinwing I said it can not elongate ramus vertically. I have difficulty explaining in English. Chinwing can elongate the ramus, but not without changing the steepness of the ramus since the lower border of the mandible slides forward. So if the border of the mandible is rotated the ramus is elongated but the steepness is changed too since the mandible border is slid forward. So you never get the sharp vertical shaped jaw angle, and the vertically orientated elongated ramus. The nice long vertical orientated ramus you see in men with strong jaw angle: you won't get it with the chinwing. Unless the mandible border is segmented with the surgery, but as I wrote it, Z. said he hardly does it. Segmenting the border will give stepoffs too and can give more asymmetry if not meticulously done.

Implants have their own negative points. But I do not agree it is the devil as some say. Many people have had implants in one or other place of their body and lived with them for decades. Also face implants. And if there is complication it can be removed and reinserted. Without long recovery, mostly days or week of recovery, often can be done under local anesthesia. The bone cutting surgery is big surgery which asks lot of recovery from the body.

However I would not choose a chin implant (I would not consider it). I would chose sliding genioplasty.

But mandible implants I find most of the time give far better and more predictable result then the chinwing. Infection rate is low. I do not understand why people are so against it here. It can give an artistically far better result. It is more predictable. You can change the outward rotation of the jaw angle, you can change the slope of the jawline. The chinwing by far has not that versatility. Also not when done two times. Unless you would also have the jawline shaved. But still have to find first patient wanting to do that too

But Optimistic has good result from chinwing so it is possible. I have seen a few good results, but also lot of not so remarkable results. The few good results: some had 2 surgeries. The difference was then good, but never as sleek as with jaw angle implants. And that is logical. Someone would have to have perfect foundation, good jawline slope, already good ramus, not too little sideward projection of jawline, outward rotated jaw angles at least a bit from the start, nicely shaped chin (although chin portion can be segmented too but not often done and still surgeon is limited to what you have), and then get a segmented chinwing to really get that masculine jawline with vertical oritentated ramus as very goodlooking of men often have. I still have to see first patient with such basis.

I also saw results that I found not good. I would love to see Optimistic's result and know who did his surgery. As said we all want good result so if I'm wrong, I would not mind, I would want to know. But technically chin wing can not give such artistically molded result as implants. You are not molding the bone, you are changing the shape only in segments and when the chinwing is not segmented only in a big segment that still has same fundamental shape. Whereas with implant you can change entire shape and your basis hardly matters.

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2015, 03:19:00 AM »
I will give a more detailed response sometime soon for you all.

What are your thoughts on CT Bone implants by the way? To me these seem like maybe the best yet? Lower infection rate, high degree of boney in-growth, 3d printed. One would think this means there is no change for long-term shifting or infection either, and no chance for it to erode the bone as it is essentially becoming part of the host bone.
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.