Author Topic: Second chances in genioplasty?  (Read 3203 times)

asphyxia

Second chances in genioplasty?
« on: December 15, 2015, 08:26:04 AM »
Hi everyone
Ok, let's face it : I recently got a sliding genioplasty, and I'm kind of disappointed with the results : it's ok, but it could have been more projected,and I'm really upset. My next consultation is in February, but I can't stop thinking about the difference a few more mm could have made, so I wanted to ask you:

Is it possible to redo it in most cases, to bring the bone forward some more?

I had 2 crews put in and I wonder if surgeons are generally reluctant to go "in there" once gain?

Is there some kind of deadline, with the bone remodeling over the screws and making it challenging to do?

Any contribution would help me a lot  :-*

swsee

Re: Second chances in genioplasty?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 09:04:51 AM »
From my understanding it can be revised, but best to check with your surgeon as it will obviously run a risk of mentalis and nerve damage.

How much were youa dvanced? Any before/afters? I'm planning a genioplasty and am curious of others' reults.

Vic

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 09:08:44 AM »
Hi, I had a sliding Genio and didn't like how wide my chin got when when moved forward, so went and had the width reduced a couple weeks later back to how it was before. So you can have it done again. It's best to have it done asap, so the surgeon can use the same cut in the bone done previously

asphyxia

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 12:11:41 PM »
Thanks for the replies
I don't know exactly, think it was something like 5 mm, but he told me more would be too much...Well, I guess too much is my standard  :-[
It's not a failure, and i'm pretty sure he's satisfied and won't be comfortable advancing it more, so I think i will need to seek another surgeon if I still want to bring it forward...
I'm already more than 2 months post op, so I think the bone has fused again...
My main concern was regarding the screws,I  don't know how difficult its is to remove them since bone builds up over time

otherwise, the procedure went on well, i would do it all over again tomorrow, so if you're about to get one, don't worry about the surgery and focus on what you want to achieve, but then again,it is just my experience

Vic

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 12:48:28 PM »
It should be straight forward for the surgeon to remove the screws

asphyxia

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 10:33:54 AM »
Even after, let's say, one year?

Vic

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 01:30:58 PM »
Yes, it should be fine mate

asphyxia

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 03:54:28 PM »
thanks  :)

KatJal

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2015, 05:19:27 AM »
Hi,
It's my first time posting here but I can relate as I recently had genioplasty along with double jaw surgery to correct an under bite that didn't quite go to plan. It turns out that my chin was "screwed on" in the wrong position and is now skewed to the right of my face. I noticed that my face seemed asymmetrical pretty much as soon as the anesthetic started to wear off following surgery but couldn't quite put a finger on it. At my 10 days post op appointment my surgeon observed that my chin seemed a bit off and and sent me for X-rays straight away. He called as soon as he saw the x-rays the following day to confirm that my chin was in fact a few mm off center.He said that I have two options: the first being to just leave it and see how it looks over time once more of the swelling goes down and the second being to get it revised asap if I'm not happy with it. I completely understand that you would be upset with the results as recovery is no fun at all and especially after everything that you have invested in the surgery. I want to get mine fixed as well as I haven't gone through nearly a decade of orthodontics and double jaw surgery to have my new bite/profile/smile ruined by a crooked chin (that is already quite obviously skewed)! My surgeon informed me that in this case its only a 30 min procedure that would involve them re-opening the incision sites, unscrewing the screws, moving the chin across slightly and then reinserting the screws to hold it in place. He recommends that I get it fixed in the next few weeks while the bone is still soft and hasn't fused back together ( I'm currently 2 weeks post op).  However, while he said that if I want it fixed he would prefer to do a revision surgery straight away, he also mentioned that I always have the option of seeing how it turns out later on down the track and possibly doing something then (although I think he would be reluctant to fix it later on as I have been given the option now). So based off this this I'd say that it would still be possible for you to get a revision surgery although it would be slightly more challenging and would probably take a bit longer as they would need to re-cut the bone considering you are already 2 months post op.  If your current surgeon isn't willing to advance it more I would definitely seek out a second opinion (surely you would be able to find a surgeon who is prepared to bring it forward). In my case my surgeon is willing to go in and fix it as it was his mistake after all.I guess I'm lucky that he brought it to my attention straight away and is offering to re-do it rather than try to hide his mistake by hoping that I wouldn't notice.  In terms of removing the screws after a couple of months/years I'm sure it would be possible, going off things I have read from other people who get them removed due to infections etc.
Anyway, sorry for the long post. I just thought that by sharing my experience I may be able to help answer some of your questions.
Good Luck with everything!  :)

asphyxia

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2015, 11:15:38 AM »
Hi dude, thank you for your comprehensive answer, it is much appreciated
When will you get your revision done? I wish you well
As for me, as you noticed, I'm already 2 months and a half post op, and the bone fused back together, so it would be useless to rush anything.
The osteotomy is well done, and it's not really a failure,but it would look so much better with an additional 2-3 mm projection.
I know it's not much, but the devil is in the details, right?
In your case, it was legit to make you go under the knife asap, since  you and your surgeon both noticed it straight away and there is no room for hesitation when it comes to shifting and asymmetry.
In my case, it's different, I don't want to ruin it, but I don't want to stay disappointed either.
I would prefer to have it redone with my surgeon, but he's quite conservative (which I though was a good thing at first) and I'm pretty sure he won't be in.I'm going to see Triaca in Switzerland since I don't live far away, just to ask him his opinion about my results.
I just got a sleep study and also happen to have sleep apnea, so maybe there will be some jaw surgery thing as well.
Do you think I could ask my surgeon wether a few more mm would cure my sleep apnea (just another strategy ^^)?

So, sum it up,I don't feel like doing it all over again for the moment, but I'm going to get it the way I want it to be, let's say, in one year or so.

Thanks again, as I wrote previously, I was afraid of the screws to be tricky to remove, but you eased my concern.
All the best

needadvancement

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2015, 12:04:41 PM »
^Did you discuss how many mm's of advancement with the surgeon beforehand? If yes, did he explain why there are limitations for you case.