Author Topic: Opinions on wilckodontics  (Read 4659 times)

BlueShark7

Re: Opinions on wilckodontics
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2016, 02:10:59 PM »
FWIW had you not had your compensation ortho, your treatment plan would be exactly the same. The mandibular arch would not be large enough to accomodate all teeth in their correct inclination, regardless of camouflage ortho or not camou ortho.

I had your exact treatment plan carried out and I'm like 5 months post op now. You won't notice the two missing premolars after surgery at all, so the only issue is if you can tolerate the 12-15months decomp ortho it takes to close the gaps and create the overjet.

I had all 4 of my 3rd molars removed after compensation and I wonder if there would have been room for everything else if I had never had ortho but had 3rd molars removed. With decompensation ortho, are sublingual braces an option? Also, does extraction really cause bone loss? Thanks in advance

notrain

• Private
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2016, 02:42:18 PM »
I had all 4 of my 3rd molars removed after compensation and I wonder if there would have been room for everything else if I had never had ortho but had 3rd molars removed.
not if you want all teeth in their correct angulation.
With decompensation ortho, are sublingual braces an option?
I don't know what sublingual braces are (not from the U.S). If you mean braces placed on the inside of the teeth then yes.
Also, does extraction really cause bone loss? Thanks in advance
Yes, but since you move the adjacent teeth in the space afterwards some (most) of the bone lost will reappear.

BlueShark7

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2016, 02:53:57 PM »
not if you want all teeth in their correct angulation.I don't know what sublingual braces are (not from the U.S). If you mean braces placed on the inside of the teeth then yes.Yes, but since you move the adjacent teeth in the space afterwards some (most) of the bone lost will reappear.

Thanks notrain, this is very helpful. Sublingual braces the ones behind teeth. Bone loss was all I was really concerned about so that's good it's not a concern, also being able to feel the teeth missing but that's only very temporary by the sounds of it.

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2016, 12:32:08 AM »
Wisdom teeth have little to no impact on arch length in most cases. Sublingual braces sound hard on the tongue.

JimmyTheGent

• Im likely the reason your Karma is so high.
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2016, 10:01:37 AM »
Wouldn't wilckodontics be good to expand the dental arch in the mandible to allow the maxilla to be expanded through SARPE?  Currently there aren't many solid methods to widen the mandible so the next best thing would be to widen the dental arch bone with wilckodontics?  Does this sound correct?
The more I learn about the gamble that is jaw surgery the more afraid I become!!!   :-(

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2016, 10:49:08 AM »
That's correct. I had a consultation with an expert in this area recently and I have names and details if you want them, send me a PM. As for maxilla, that could be PAOO too, segmental LeFort, or SARPE depending on the discrepancy.

BlueShark7

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2016, 02:13:50 PM »
That's correct. I had a consultation with an expert in this area recently and I have names and details if you want them, send me a PM. As for maxilla, that could be PAOO too, segmental LeFort, or SARPE depending on the discrepancy.

I would be interested as well molestrip if you wouldn't mind?