Author Topic: Having a BSSO+Lefort I with CCW rotation for severe sleep apnea  (Read 1433 times)

Picollo30

Having a BSSO+Lefort I with CCW rotation for severe sleep apnea
« on: February 25, 2016, 07:42:55 PM »
im having an appointment with the maxfac surgeon today to schedule the day of the surgery, what questions should i ask? its very important that you guys guide me here.

Should i ask how much jaw advancement is he going to give me and if there's a need of a sliding genio too? what about the amount of impaction, i really dont have a gummy smile but i have a steep oclusal plane and a long face, is he going with the lefort I with impaction  so he can shorten the face? btw my airway is 4 mm

Would be great if he could add malar implants in the surgery because i have malar hypoplasia but i dont think he will do it.

Should i ask about the pros and cons of the surgery and what the aesthetic concerns will be? Is the nose going to suffer changes? Stuff that i can eat / drink after surgery, mouth/dental hygiene?

Anyway your help would be great
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 08:13:46 PM by Picollo30 »

PloskoPlus

Re: Having a BSSO+Lefort I with CCW rotation for severe sleep apnea
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 10:07:31 PM »
Some surgeons say that implants, even ha paste should not be done during jaw surgery because of infection risk.

molestrip

• Private
Re: Having a BSSO+Lefort I with CCW rotation for severe sleep apnea
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 08:47:25 AM »
There are lots of reasons not to combine cheek work with jaw surgery:

- Extra procedures create extra risk. This isn't obvious to anyone who isn't a surgeon. Blood clots are no fun.
- Healing and soft tissue changes are unpredictable while cheekbone augmentations are very sensitive to small discrepancies. It's harder to get a good result when they're done at the same time.
- Because not all problems should be fixed. Cheekbone augmentations are problem prone in general.

At 4mm, you're borderline for using an average surgeon. You'll only get 5-7mm to the airway from a standard BSSO leaving you at 9-11mm, normal but still slightly deficient. There's only a few surgeons in the world who can deliver a better result right now to my knowledge. PM me if you want names.

Otherwise, the main thing to look for is that the surgeon does CCW rotations, ANS shaving, and alar cinch.