Author Topic: Another Sliding Genioplasty with Dr Gunson  (Read 12526 times)

SJay

Another Sliding Genioplasty with Dr Gunson
« on: February 27, 2016, 12:25:30 PM »
Hi,

So, as some of you may remember, I was asking for a lot of advice about sliding genioplasty a few months back. Thanks to everyone who chipped in, for all the advice and info. Anyway, I'm going ahead with it, with Dr Gunson, next month. We did the measurements, and I think my chin is around 10mm off where it should ideally be, my bite is fine and there are no major vertical issues. The plan is to advance the chin 6-8mm forward and  couple of mm up, plus use HA for the step off, which will probably still leave me a little recessed but that's fine, it will be a lot less noticeable.

I'm quite nervous, worried about creating a deep mentolabial fold and ruining the contour of my jaw from the front, which is okay as it is. Dr Gunson has ensured me the fold created will not be deeper than say 5mm and he won't give me a pointy chin. So I'm just going to place my trust in him. SGSeeker got a fantastic result with him a few months back, so I'm hoping mine will turn out the same.

Anyway, here are my before pics. I'll post some afters, well after. Wish me luck!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 10:30:39 PM by sj594 »

needadvancement

Re: Another Sliding Genioplasty with Dr Gunson
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 12:28:57 PM »
With up do you mean that you're gonna reduce the vertical height of your chin?

SJay

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 04:51:12 PM »
I believe so, very slightly. I think they naturally look longer once they're advanced anyway.

Bobbit

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 12:19:31 PM »
Hi,

So, as some of you may remember, I was asking for a lot of advice about sliding genioplasty a few months back. Thanks to everyone who chipped in, for all the advice and info. Anyway, I'm going ahead with it, with Dr Gunson, next month. We did the measurements, and I think my chin is around 10mm off where it should ideally be, my bite is fine and there are no major vertical issues. The plan is to advance the chin 6-8mm forward and  couple of mm up, plus use HA for the step off, which will probably still leave me a little recessed but that's fine, it will be a lot less noticeable.

I'm quite nervous, worried about creating a deep mentolabial fold and ruining the contour of my jaw from the front, which is okay as it is. Dr Gunson has ensured me the fold created will not be deeper than say 5mm and he won't give me a pointy chin. So I'm just going to place my trust in him. SGSeeker got a fantastic result with him a few months back, so I'm hoping mine will turn out the same.

Anyway, here are my before pics. I'll post some afters, well after. Wish me luck!

About how much is the sliding genioplasty going to cost ?

SJay

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 03:36:25 PM »
I'll pm you.

kjohnt

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 08:56:58 PM »
Your profile will look better.  I do wonder about the shortening though - your height seems okay as is and shortening would potentially make the resulting labiomental fold worse.

You're lucky in that you already have nice jaw definition (and everything else... cheeks, forehead, maxilla) and your gonial angles keep the skin tight enough, so this is the one thing that will really improve your aesthetics.

SJay

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 03:27:55 AM »
Thanks for your comments. I don't think the plan is to actually purposefully shorten, I think that's just how the cut and slide works, and since chins generally look longer afterwards, if you lose 1 mm or 2 then it will look the same after? That's my understanding, perhaps I should talk with Dr Gunson about it again before the surgery.

My chin looks awful on profile, so I'm hoping so. I'm confident it will improve the profile, but just don't want to screw anything else up in the process. Anyway, Dr Gunson is obviously an excellent surgeon, so I'm in capable hands and have to trust his judgement.

lin kraft

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 03:06:55 PM »
You are very good hands- Am having my surgery late May, but have heard that he and Dr. Arnette are the Cadillacs of Oral Surgeons. :)

SJay

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 01:58:00 PM »
So I had the genioplasty yesterday, with Dr Gunson at Goleta Valley Cottage hospital. It was a straight forward 7mm advancement, no change to the height of the chin, and some HA grafts to smooth out the cut. We did discuss the use of more HA further back to smooth the gonial notches which exist in my mandible. They have never bothered me too much so I opted not to for now, I may try some filler first and then if I like it remove them later. I'm only 24 hours post-op so I have a considerable amount of swelling, making the chin look a little fatter and more puffy, which is more obvious from the front. Anyway, here's a pic of my profile at 1 day out. I'll add more images as the swelling resolves.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 10:31:14 PM by sj594 »

needadvancement

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2016, 02:25:30 PM »
^Great, you must be glad. It will be interestin to see your progress in teh upcoming weeks.

Also I actually think those notches on your jawlines look pretty good. Just my opinion I don't think you should get surgery on them but trying fillers is a good idea.

SJay

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2016, 04:14:53 PM »
Thanks! I actually quite like them too, they give the jaw a more natural shape. I'm glad I didn't go ahead with it, and I can always do it later when the swelling has resolved, if needs be.

Tezcatli

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2016, 04:50:03 PM »
Did he say the reason he couldn't advance it more?

SJay

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2016, 04:58:36 PM »
I was actually 9mm recessed, so we could have gone forward another 2mm. However, I did not want to create a deep mento-labial fold. When we discussed this, I did say that I'd rather be left slightly recessed than end up with a pointy chin.

Vic

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2016, 05:22:14 PM »
Have you got any pics from the front?

SJay

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2016, 06:10:04 PM »
It's quite swollen from the front (I only had the surgery yesterday). I'll upload more images from different angles in a couple of weeks, when the swelling settles.