Author Topic: Sliding Genioplasty. Thoughts?  (Read 5633 times)

trojans101

Sliding Genioplasty. Thoughts?
« on: September 11, 2016, 11:41:22 PM »
I have a slightly retrusive/recessed lower jaw/chin. I have consulted with 5-6 max-fax surgeons. They all agreed a sliding genioplasty will give me a natural look and accomplish what I am looking for. They all said to NOT opt for jaw surgery, and a genioplasty would work. That said, Dr. G mentioned that a slight rotation of my jaw and a geniplasty would be 'ideal' BUT, a sliding genioplasty by itself would provide a good natural cosmetic result. It would be a 7mm advancement with HA bone grafts to make the fold natural looking.

My bite is near perfect, slight overbite. Teeth are straight. Nice smile. And Dr. G mentioned I have a decent size jaw in terms of width.

Here are some before pics and official pre-surgery morphs: http://imgur.com/a/ZI3RK

Can I get some opinions from you people from you gurus here?

1. If you were in my position, would you get this done?
2. I am pale/white and have slightly sensitive skin, wondering if there will be a negative affect.
3. How serious is this surgery in your opinion?
4. I'm nervous about the bone grafts, but I like the idea of an esthetic end result. Opinions? (i spoke to some surgeons who said theres nothing to worry about for ha on a genio and in 6 months it will be my own bone)
5. For those that had surgery, did you see a boost in confidence?
6. Will this alter my smile? Because I like my smile now  :D
7. Can I pull this off :P

Overall I just think getting this done would increase confidence and make me a bit more normal overall. Since I shave my head, I think a genioplasty would really give me a nice look. I saw SGseekers results, and they look great. The morphs Dr. G made look great as well.

Anyway, just looking for opinions.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 01:15:23 AM by trojans101 »

UnderMunch

Re: Sliding Genioplasty. Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 09:47:21 AM »
I think you are worrying too much: genioplasty is on the lower end of the spectrum when it comes to complications and pain. This also means that the results won't be mind-blowing, but more along the lines of what your doctor showed in the morph. It won't change your smile, it will only alter your chin in profile view.

Just remember that healing will be somewhat painful or at least highly annoying, but the worst will be over in less than a week.

To be clear; I do think your profile would benefit from the surgery, but it's by no means necessary: Your face is already very harmonious in front view, and most people don't actively remember or consciously observe other people's profiles, unless someone has extreme over or underbite(that's definitely not you).

JayJaw

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 03:06:33 PM »
I have a similar profile to you and my bite is good but both lower and upper teeth are flared (I have a bit more open but and not as much of an overbite like you... but it was better years ago when first got braces off as teen). I ultimately think the "ideal" solution is to move both jaws forward and rotate a bit. Then push all the teeth back (the one guy I consulted wants to either leave my upper jaw alone or didn't really address the upper tooth flare as much as bottom) for good bite and good jaws.

Downside? Moving jaws forward like this wont' be harmonious with my cheekbones. The whole complex was underdeveloped and so from 3/4 view I just barely have a bit of a concave to my cheeks. Sure, my maxilla is recessed, as is yours (results in larger-looking nose), but with a chin to balance it... it'll be alright.

I can't see myself doing double jaw, and cheek implants and surgery of some sort to address issues there. It's just a bottomless pit that I don't have time, energy or money for.

Sure wide jaws and cheekbones with harmonious chin is ideal but jaw surgery won't give someone like you (or I) that.

I think genioplasty alone could work. I'm interested to see the results you get since it'll be similar to to what I would achieve.

Lestat

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 11:20:33 PM »
No offense but what you need is a hair transplant.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 05:32:29 AM by Lestat »

trojans101

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 11:26:24 PM »
No offense but what you need is a hair transplant. It would give much more to your appearence than a sg or jaw surgery.

Meh, no offense taken, I actually like my shaved head, and pull it off just fine imo. Most guys go bald sometime in their lifetime, no point in trying to keep what will be lost. No input on the topic tho?

Also, can we keep this thread on topic please? I don't want/need a nose job, and don't want/need a hair transplant. Thanks  :D
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 11:34:47 PM by trojans101 »

trojans101

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 12:25:31 AM »
Hi Trojan, I've had a look, and I think what you need is a full-face transplant, a wig, bicep implants , gastric band ..... Just joking. I agree with you, you don't need much, your nose is big, but masculine. A bigger chin will harmonise it. Get a genio alone. I had one, it's minor surgery and I was out the hospital the same day, on holiday within a week. I had minor swelling for a few days, and it took me about two weeks to heal. No numbness or issues with it. Your lower lip might get smaller temporarily but that's all I had to deal with. I have a good smile with big dimples and they weren't affected.

Haha,  ;D ;D Thanks :) Question regarding your outcome.. Did the SG you had provide benefits from various different angles? Of course the main benefit is from the profile view, but when looking from 3/4 angle, or even from the front, did you see a benefit? I think as I age, having a weak chin will be more noticeable so getting this done will help overall. This has been something Ive been pondering for a long time now, buts I can live with myself the way I am currently.

Also, no worries if its not possible, but would be interested in seeing a before and after if you'd want to PM me. Would be awesome.

UnderMunch

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 04:20:43 AM »
Yes, I would do it, I would do the genionplasty if I were you: I think the genioplasty would also improve your 3/4(in-between profile and frontview) a bit, so it's not only profile that would improve like I stated earlier.

People like you (and I) who have pale skin, often also have thinner skin in the face than people who have darker skin. Thin skin is said to be best in relation to plastic surgery, as altering any underlying cartilage or bone is more likely to be visible on the outside than in people with thick skin.

Genioplasty results are most often either underwhelming to nearly non-existent, but equally often good or great, maybe 50% good-great, and 50% underwhelming. So I would go for it.

However, I definitely wouldn't touch your nose or do hair transplants: My immediate assumption about your ethnicity, is that you have some Middle Eastern or Mediterranean ancestry(Jewish is my best guess), and a lot of guys from these places look like you as adults. So by getting a completely straight nose, and a full head of hair(that's not even truly possible, to my knowledge) would most likely make you look like a different ethnicity, or just weird.

There might be a strict formula to attractiveness, but I think it's equally important to have a bit of character to the face and not conform too much. I hope you can see that!

asphyxia

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 06:22:03 AM »

Could you further explain
I haven't any befores (no social media, hate photo's etc) but the procedure was so small that literally no one knew i had it done - not even my girlfriend or best friend, but people definitely started finding me more attractive. Thing is, although i'm not entirely happy with it, in that i plan on getting a chin wing for more projection, i could notice a clear difference in front-on and side view after the surgery. My chin looked quite a bit more compact from the front before hand. Just a small movement of 5mm gave it enough length downward to improve balance, and from the side it moved enough so that you wouldn't say i had a recessive chin from the side, just still perhaps slightly small.
My only complaint is that it did make the chin slightly smaller and pointier - but this is only in my own opinion given that no one else even seen a difference. I spoke to a different surgeon afterwards who explained that he could do a second genio, a very small one, but make the cuts different so that the chin would appear wider. This is worth discussing with your surgeon as you don't want too small and pointy a chin, as a man.

Hi zoola, I've got the same issues.
Could you please further explain the procedure the second surgeon offered you ?
Would you go for it?
How's the cut and why would it be smaller?

kjohnt

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2016, 01:55:11 PM »
No offense but what you need is a hair transplant. It would give much more to your appearence than a sg or jaw surgery.

You don't know what you're talking about.

...and most people don't actively remember or consciously observe other people's profiles, unless someone has extreme over or underbite(that's definitely not you).

Agreed on everything including this piece, but you're missing an important point in that physical attraction is determined instinctively, unconsciously, and within a fraction of a second.  Immediately and for most altogether, it is not a logical process.

kjohnt

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 02:00:12 PM »
OP - your ceph confirms your chin is underdeveloped.  A genioplasty is the best thing you can do to improve your facial appearance, and it is indicated even if you were to go through with full jaw surgery, which is unnecessary IMO.  I think you will be very pleased with the result.

asphyxia

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2016, 03:48:26 PM »
Sure. As i mentioned above, i still feel like my chin is a little recessed and small, so i seen another surgeon in the UK (about a year ago now) and he confirmed that yes, the chin could have maybe done with been brought a few more mm forward, and he would make the cuts at a different angle so that it would appear wider as it was brought out. He drew me a picture of how a standard genio would be cut, and then how he would intend to do it. It was basically just as you'd imagine: slightly wider cuts at more of an angle, so that a bigger portion moved forward. I hope i'm articulating it enough to be clear, but it may still sound somewhat ambiguous due to my limited understanding of it all.

I was initially going to go with this, and feel that it would give a good outcome, but then i discovered the chin-wing on here and feel that i would be best suited to having this done instead. No UK surgeons do it so i'm seeing Dr Z soon to discuss.

Ok, thanks a lot for your precisions

Lestat

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2016, 09:52:10 PM »
You don't know what you're talking about.

You are wrong. BTW I had a successful hair transplant. It made me look at least 10 years younger. Hair is so important! Believe me.

ditterbo

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2016, 05:13:27 AM »
Dr. G gave you a morph of your outcome with double jaw surgery, OP?  How did you get him to do that? I didn't get a morph, just a ceph analysis in my consult.  No mention of morphs but I was really hoping for something like that!  Which profile angles did he morph?

trojans101

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2016, 07:59:52 PM »
Hey all, I took a break from this thread for a bit. I really do love and appreciate all of the insight and honesty. We all came to an agreement that an SG is the logical choice, and that I could benefit from it.

That said, I'm still unsure about everything... Apart of me wants to get this done and move on, I hope itll bring me more confidence so I can forget about this. At the same time, maybe I wait it out a bit and sleep on it. I know what needs to be done, I've done my research.

I'm having a tough time overall with this decision. I know its not jaw surgery, but its a surgery, and I look just fine from the front, but the side is OFF.

I'm depressed because of all of this at the moment, gotta admit. Do any of you have any suggestions? Should I see a therapist or counselor and talk this through? I feel like this forum is almost better than that, as its more unias. I can't tell if I have BDD of some sort, but I know this is an obvious flaw. s**t sucks that one has to make these decisions. I'd rather have it be a must-do like jaw surgery.

thereishope

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2016, 02:10:11 AM »
why do you make it such a big deal? it is a significant flaw with a relatively ease fix. dont see a therapist or anything like that. just do it and live without uncertainty.