Author Topic: Chin Wing 4th January by Dr. Z. - Advice  (Read 7296 times)

thereishope

Chin Wing 4th January by Dr. Z. - Advice
« on: December 20, 2016, 07:37:57 PM »
I am getting a chin wing the 4th of January and am unsure about a lot of things. Not so much about the actual surgery, more about the recovery and such. I am going to be alone in Berlin.
Do any of you who have had surgery abroad, especially in Berlin with Dr. Z, have any general advice for me?
When can you walk around outside after the surgery? (does the hip bone graft have any effect on this?)
When will I look fairly normal after the surgery?
Can I only ingest liquids after the surgery and if so for how long? Are there any foods you recommend?
Do you recommend anything for passing the time? Both at the clinic and at the hotel
How many times do you visit Dr. Zarrinbal after you have returned to your hotel from the clinic?
I would just greatly appreciate any advice that can make the experience easier for me! Thank you very much

boyo

Re: Chin Wing 4th January by Dr. Z. - Advice
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 09:23:18 AM »
You probably will be dead numb in the lower lip when you wake up (the mandible nerve has to be lifted in surgery) so get a box of straws you can drink with in case of. I was out of the clinic after just two days, but Z will probably want you to stay for 4 days to reduce the risk of infection. Antibiotics are about €50. A lot of swelling the first week, but it decreases fast after that. I was visiting Z each other day for check-ups. Only liquids for two weeks because chewing solid food can open/infect the incisions in the mouth. Be prepared to lose weight.

Vic

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 11:23:10 AM »
I suggest you stay in the hospital for the whole of your stay, probably 2 weeks. You should start walking around as soon as you can really as it helps with the swelling. If he says you have to be on liquids, then go to the supermarket at buy some soup because the soup in the hospital is terrible but if you're just having a chin wing, then you should be able to chew normal food quite soon after surgery to be fair. I stayed in the hospital for my whole stay, so literally walked across the hallway to his office every morning for a check up. Depends on the individual but most swelling is usually gone between 4 and 6 weeks

thereishope

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2016, 09:28:39 AM »
You probably will be dead numb in the lower lip when you wake up (the mandible nerve has to be lifted in surgery) so get a box of straws you can drink with in case of. I was out of the clinic after just two days, but Z will probably want you to stay for 4 days to reduce the risk of infection. Antibiotics are about €50. A lot of swelling the first week, but it decreases fast after that. I was visiting Z each other day for check-ups. Only liquids for two weeks because chewing solid food can open/infect the incisions in the mouth. Be prepared to lose weight.

Thank you very much. What did you discuss during the check-ups? What did you eat after you had left the hospital and were you able to buy it yourself in the supermarket or someplace similar?

I suggest you stay in the hospital for the whole of your stay, probably 2 weeks. You should start walking around as soon as you can really as it helps with the swelling. If he says you have to be on liquids, then go to the supermarket at buy some soup because the soup in the hospital is terrible but if you're just having a chin wing, then you should be able to chew normal food quite soon after surgery to be fair. I stayed in the hospital for my whole stay, so literally walked across the hallway to his office every morning for a check up. Depends on the individual but most swelling is usually gone between 4 and 6 weeks

Thank you! You dont think two weeks at the hospital is a bit overkill for a chin wing? You had both chin wing and bimax right?

Vic

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 01:23:26 PM »
Thank you very much. What did you discuss during the check-ups? What did you eat after you had left the hospital and were you able to buy it yourself in the supermarket or someplace similar?

Thank you! You dont think two weeks at the hospital is a bit overkill for a chin wing? You had both chin wing and bimax right?

You'll probably just need a week, but ask Dr Z. But I'm saying stay in the hospital for your stay instead of getting a hotel room by yourself.

ppsk

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2016, 12:15:14 PM »
Vic, do you know if Z does online or phone consultations?

I'm balking at the thought of paying for a flight to germany JUST to get a consult, then another trip later for the surgery.

Lestat

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 12:27:37 PM »
I am getting a chin wing the 4th of January

Why not side wing+sliding genioplasty? Would it not be better for your jaw angles?

thereishope

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2016, 06:37:14 PM »
Why not side wing+sliding genioplasty? Would it not be better for your jaw angles?

You mean in two separate surgeries? My chin is where I am lacking the most, and I think chin wing is superior to genioplasty for chin augmentation. Also, I am probably going to do another chin wing just for the jaw if I am not satisfied with the jaw after this one.

Lestat

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2016, 11:56:13 PM »
You mean in two separate surgeries? My chin is where I am lacking the most, and I think chin wing is superior to genioplasty for chin augmentation. Also, I am probably going to do another chin wing just for the jaw if I am not satisfied with the jaw after this one.

No i meant in one surgery.

I did have a side wing a week ago. Jaw angles improved in projection without being blunted in profile as some guy here claims. But the chin is what really gets improved, i got it vertically dropped and it's substantially more stronger now.

Vic

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 11:10:38 AM »
Vic, do you know if Z does online or phone consultations?

I'm balking at the thought of paying for a flight to germany JUST to get a consult, then another trip later for the surgery.

Yes, you can speak to him on the phone prior to going over

Vic

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2016, 11:14:38 AM »

Chin wings not superior than a standard genioplasty for chin augmentation as you can only move the chin in two directions and only a certain distance dependant on where your nerves sit and how you square want your gonial angle to look.

thereishope

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2016, 04:12:44 AM »
Chin wings not superior than a standard genioplasty for chin augmentation as you can only move the chin in two directions and only a certain distance dependant on where your nerves sit and how you square want your gonial angle to look.

I meant I like the results on the chin from chin wings better than genioplasties - even though it might doesn't make sense theoretically. Chin wings don't create the witch-like appearence that genioplasties sometimes can create.

No i meant in one surgery.

I told Dr. Z. that I wanted a stronger chin and lowered, more pronounced jaw angles, which he said was possible. I think he is going to do some kind of segmented chin wing, which might be similar to a genioplasty and a sidewing done in one surgery.

Vic

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2016, 12:38:27 PM »
I meant I like the results on the chin from chin wings better than genioplasties - even though it might doesn't make sense theoretically. Chin wings don't create the witch-like appearence that genioplasties sometimes can create.

I told Dr. Z. that I wanted a stronger chin and lowered, more pronounced jaw angles, which he said was possible. I think he is going to do some kind of segmented chin wing, which might be similar to a genioplasty and a sidewing done in one surgery.

Dr Z's Genio's don't cause a witches chin because he does the cut higher up

ppsk

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2016, 02:45:49 PM »
I wonder if you can do a "side wing" and a genio at the same time.

This would be ideal, to address the width/flare of the back of the jaw, while also increasing the vertical length of the chin.

Vic

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2016, 03:20:50 PM »
I wonder if you can do a "side wing" and a genio at the same time.

This would be ideal, to address the width/flare of the back of the jaw, while also increasing the vertical length of the chin.

Yes, you can. It's exactly what I'm having done in April but with chin width increase aswell