Author Topic: Lip Lifts  (Read 3430 times)

Vic

Lip Lifts
« on: December 27, 2016, 05:24:12 AM »
Hi, I was wondering whether anyone's had a lip lift after surgery? and how were there results?

JimmyTheGent

• Im likely the reason your Karma is so high.
Re: Lip Lifts
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 09:52:54 AM »
Hi, I was wondering whether anyone's had a lip lift after surgery? and how were there results?

There's a guy on here who recently posted his pics and he had a lip lift and IMO it came out awesome!!
The more I learn about the gamble that is jaw surgery the more afraid I become!!!   :-(

David_D

• Private
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 03:37:44 PM »
I had a lip lift combined with mucosal reduction (reduction in upper lip bulk) and DAO muscle release (muscle that pulls down corners of mouth).  I did this to attempt to raise the overall position of the mouth.  I think it was worked out well for my own purposes.  I did the mucosal reduction so that the lip lift wouldn't have much feminizing effect by making the red show of the upper lip much larger, as I didn't have thin lips to begin with.  The issue was that after maxillary impaction, I had very little tooth show.  Now I'm OK with the tooth show.

I'll say this: of the procedures I've had, I found this one particularly emotionally taxing.  The mouth is right in the center of the face, and I was very concerned about how it would turn out prior to the procedure, and until things started settling down, I had significant stress about it.  I recommend seeing a surgeon's before and afters, doing research, understanding the precise (to the mm.) excision area, etc.  There aren't a ton of make lip lift before and afters on the internet.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 04:58:10 PM »
Ideally one should be done BEFORE jaw surgery and the jaws moved into position for normall tooth show. You risk lip incompetence otherwise.

David_D

• Private
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 05:23:02 PM »
Ideally one should be done BEFORE jaw surgery and the jaws moved into position for normall tooth show. You risk lip incompetence otherwise.

I find that statement interesting.  I'm pretty sure that Dr. Gunson told me during my consultation that lip lift would be best performed after jaw surgery.  I believe I read someone here indicate that he said the opposite.   I don't suppose that a standard lip lift really typically elevates the bottom of the upper lip that much once things settle.

Milli_Meters

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 09:02:29 PM »
I had a lip lift combined with mucosal reduction (reduction in upper lip bulk) and DAO muscle release (muscle that pulls down corners of mouth).  I did this to attempt to raise the overall position of the mouth.  I think it was worked out well for my own purposes.  I did the mucosal reduction so that the lip lift wouldn't have much feminizing effect by making the red show of the upper lip much larger, as I didn't have thin lips to begin with.  The issue was that after maxillary impaction, I had very little tooth show.  Now I'm OK with the tooth show.

I'll say this: of the procedures I've had, I found this one particularly emotionally taxing.  The mouth is right in the center of the face, and I was very concerned about how it would turn out prior to the procedure, and until things started settling down, I had significant stress about it.  I recommend seeing a surgeon's before and afters, doing research, understanding the precise (to the mm.) excision area, etc.  There aren't a ton of make lip lift before and afters on the internet.

Hi! I have seen your result posted here I think and congrats on it! How many mms did you have excised?

David_D

• Private
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 09:49:38 AM »
Hi! I have seen your result posted here I think and congrats on it! How many mms did you have excised?

About 6 mm centrally from base of nose to edge of red lip.  Because there was little or no further eversion (rolling out) of the upper lip, there was a roughly equivalent decrease in lip length.  Without mucosal reduction, I don't think that would be the case, as the red tissue would evert from inside the lip, tending to increase the vertical length of the distance between the base of the nose and the lip seal.

Vic

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 10:26:14 AM »
Hi David, has your scarring now gone? How many millimetres is your philtrum now after the surgery?

PloskoPlus

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 01:13:02 PM »
I find that statement interesting.  I'm pretty sure that Dr. Gunson told me during my consultation that lip lift would be best performed after jaw surgery.  I believe I read someone here indicate that he said the opposite.   I don't suppose that a standard lip lift really typically elevates the bottom of the upper lip that much once things settle.
Yes he told me the opposite and that vertical reduction genioplasty might have to be done as well to maintain lip competence. I've also be told by someone else that vertical reduction genioplasty  after a lip lift is almost a certainty if you show your bottom teeth when talking.

David_D

• Private
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 07:47:36 PM »
Hi David, has your scarring now gone? How many millimetres is your philtrum now after the surgery?

See above for answer on mm reduction. The scar is negligible from my perspective. If I was dark-skinned it might be more apparent. It's a thin whitish line.

Milli_Meters

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2016, 01:57:29 AM »
Thanks! 6mm sounds like a safe and effective amount to take out. Btw , Vic is not asking how many mms were taken off but how much your philtrum measures now.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2016, 03:17:56 AM »
Thanks! 6mm sounds like a safe and effective amount to take out. Btw , Vic is not asking how many mms were taken off but how much your philtrum measures now.
Would you consider potential lip incompetence an acceptable price to pay?

David_D

• Private
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2016, 08:32:12 AM »

The length is now 15 mm.