Author Topic: Facial growth indicator  (Read 5219 times)

x

• Private
Facial growth indicator
« on: May 25, 2013, 08:40:59 PM »
It seems this can be used to some extent as a measurement of whether the vertical growth of your maxilla is excessively long or falls within the range of normal: http://www.google.com/patents/US5752523

So if you feel like potentially being depressed, give it a shot!   ;D

cliffs for people too lazy to read:

1. get a ruler
2. measure the vertical distance between the incisal edge of one of your maxillary incisors and the most anterior soft tissue point of your nose (the part of the nose that projects furthest from the face)
3. average adult ranges are 36-39 mm for women, 40-44 mm for men. figures that deviate significantly from the averages suggest vertical maxillary excess.

can't say it's the most precise home measurement, but mine looks to be right at the 40 mm mark, give or take a couple mm for imprecision
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 09:44:21 PM by Euphoria »

Kristen

• Private
Re: Facial growth indicator
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 02:38:19 AM »
So your in the normal then?

x

• Private
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 09:41:29 AM »
So your in the normal then?
Yes I think so. Not too surprising cause I show normal amount of gum when I smile.

The open bite is suspect though
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 09:53:55 AM by Euphoria »

CK

• Private
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 01:23:49 PM »
well my gummy smile was easily 1/2 inch before surgery so i know my upper jaw/upper face grew terribly

x

• Private
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 01:45:14 PM »
well my gummy smile was easily 1/2 inch before surgery so i know my upper jaw/upper face grew terribly
I think superficially we share similar characteristics, but the base of your problem is the maxilla, mine is the mandible

stupidjaws

• CFO
  • The panic the vomit the yuppies networking
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 02:45:16 PM »
euph i think your problem is not the mandible, but the maxilla that is recessed

x

• Private
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 02:47:33 PM »
euph i think your problem is not the mandible, but the maxilla that is recessed
well if just my maxilla was recessed, i'd be a typical class iii you know? like this girl:

but my mandible is rotated downward and back like a class ii, so there's a vertical element to it, not just horizontal. the maxilla has an issue too, but it's not causing the rotation of the mandible I think

stupidjaws

• CFO
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 02:52:56 PM »
yeah, true story.

CK

• Private
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 02:54:31 PM »
does it really matter why? it's not like surgeons are going to incorporate the back-story unless it affects treatment in some way. at this stage what is a doctor going to say? sucks for you?

x

• Private
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 02:57:47 PM »
does it really matter why? it's not like surgeons are going to incorporate the back-story unless it affects treatment in some way. at this stage what is a doctor going to say? sucks for you?

uh it's directly relevant to the treatment. if the high mandibular plane angle is a result of mandibular growth discrepancy, obviously the maxilla wouldn't be factored into correcting the occlsuion.

what should I get an impaction just cause my face looks long? this isn't an adenoid facies/abnormal growth discussion, it's 100% relevant to treatment decisions

CK

• Private
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2013, 03:02:18 PM »
abnormal growth is all the same (relatively). if you go to a doctor and present this they arent going to care, trust me. plus this is all just inferences based on superficial appearances, youd have to examine the actual bones to get a truly confident diagnosis.

stupidjaws

• CFO
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2013, 03:03:22 PM »
no it's not. It's not WHY your face is like this that is important to define the plan.

they will measure it correctly (hopefully) anyhow and know what to do , not because it grew too much because of your MOUTH BREATHING or whatever, but because its just too f**kin long....(metaphorically speaking)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 03:13:13 PM by stupidjaws »

x

• Private
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2013, 03:06:07 PM »
abnormal growth is all the same (relatively). if you go to a doctor and present this they arent going to care, trust me. plus this is all just inferences based on superficial appearances, youd have to examine the actual bones to get a truly confident diagnosis.

yes it is inference, but i ask again: if the length is a result of the mandible experiencing growth discrepancy, then obviously that is relevant cause you wouldn't want to impact a maxilla that grew to it's intended vertical size when the length is in the mandible. you're saying you wouldn't agree with this?

x

• Private
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2013, 03:06:59 PM »
no it's not. It's not WHY your face is like this that is important to define the plan.

they will measure it correctly (hopefully) anyhow and know what to do , not because it grew too much because of your thumb sucking or whatever, but because its just too f**kin long....(metaphorically speaking)
no one's talking about ___________.

I'm talking about where the excess length is, the mandible or the maxilla. very much relevant to treatment decisions.

CK

• Private
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2013, 03:07:40 PM »
i can understand the urge to figure out why but at this point a surgeon 99% of the time will not care unless it somehow affects treatment.

theyll perform a cephalometric study and do physical measurements...that's your treatment plan.

jaw surgery is standardized.