Author Topic: How to objectively determine which procedures do I need?  (Read 1791 times)

jawpocalipse

How to objectively determine which procedures do I need?
« on: April 18, 2017, 01:40:14 AM »
cleaned.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 11:33:23 AM by jawpocalipse »

Wheatsnax

Re: How to objectively determine which procedures do I need?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 01:54:43 PM »
Are you for or against a LF3? Don't really see the discrepancy - sound like they all feel you have some deficiency of your upper midface? Just depends on how extreme you want to take it I guess.

I've had clinical and subsidised healthcare hospital ones all say bimax, but STILL recommended implants and lipofilling. The cranio ones take a step further by offering bony movements. They would write down in my surgery plans "mild malar and orbital hypoplasia - modfied lefort 3" while the clinical ones did not but would make mention of it in the office ("your cheekbones are quite flat, should consider augmenting them together with the surgery etc").

I feel like like my class 2 skeletal base make it not as obvious as someone w a class 3. If I did the bimax alone first it would be more obvious and perhaps easier for the surgeons and me to objectively plan what would be the best way forward.

CCW

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 10:46:14 PM »
http://jawsurgeryforums.com/index.php?topic=3933.0

It seems as if Sinn's LF3 has less complications than a "simple" genio.

Wheatsnax

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 02:25:09 AM »
Eh syndromic vs non syndromic doesn't make sense to me. Firstly, the midface improvement even in the crouzon's population doesn't qualify as functional. Also, loads of genetic diseases that affect facial bones to varying degrees have been documented to be fixed with cosmetic augmentation vs. maxfac surgery not according to the level of deformity. You also have the population of healthy class 3 dudes with super dished in faces. I think its just the surgeon's ability.

FWIW the ones that offered me implants/grafts/lipofilling (said it was soft tissue too) took a 180 stance once I mentioned I was currently seeing a geneticist - started to say how risky it is, I don't look as bad as the crouzon kids, fillers can give a similar effect etc. The ones that offered me the LF3 also offered lipofilling/implants as an alternative - up to me ultimately whether I would want to fix the root issue and get a better outcome.

Wheatsnax

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 02:28:59 AM »
on a more related note, can you not tell from your 3d scans whether it is inherently soft tissue or bone? I don't see how surgeons would want to push a complicated procedure like the LF3 or orbital/malar mobilization on you for monetary reasons when they can push profitable implants and grafting instead.

also, the LF3 and its variants are quite documented

CCW

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 04:13:57 AM »
If you're skeletal CII, you need jaw surgery to fix it. Fillers, implants, CW are just camouflage s**t to mask your dentofacial deformity. I'd get CCW bimax and then reassess if anything else is needed.

ditterbo

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 03:55:09 PM »
dumb question maybe but why are they suggesting LF3 without something for the mandible as well?  Especially if you're class 2 skeletal.

ditterbo

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 09:38:30 PM »
For the first lf3 case, I questioned myself the same as I received the papers with recommended procedure while no words about lower jaw. But for the other lf3 cases, I simply forgot to include BSSO in the description above.

Does that mean they would do a lf3 and bsso at the same time?  Sounds like an even tougher recovery than bimax?!

Lefortitude

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 12:41:44 PM »
Are good looks objective? I dont think so. 

Most average looking people are content with their genetic looks, and would not opt for elective surgery.  some ugly people too.  they often go on to live meaningful and fruitful lives. 

On the other hand there are good looking people who get obsessiveness and hate how they look. They often go on to get way more procedures than is needed. Do they feel good about how they look after? maybe, but probably not. 

If you take the most beautiful women in the hunter gatherer societies of the amazon, and show them to NY or LA, they might not like what they see.  same goes for the way the best looking in hollywood are percieved in the amazon.  Do you think Justin Biebers looks would be worth a damn in a rainforest?

My point is, find what YOU dont like, and fix it.  Try to make that decision based on YOU and not the WORLD AROUND YOU, which is impossible.